Hi,

I was just wondering how you dial in a bean with your mignon.

I tend to start with 1/2 settings I.e. 0, 1/2, 1 on the dial. Then fine tune it to the nearest 1/4.

Is it worth trying to control it to a finer level?

La Pavoni Europiccola Millenium - Porlex mini - Eureka Mignon Mk2

1/4 seems fine in my experience. 1/2 is a bit too imprecise though.

Quickmill Andreja Premium---Eric's E61 Thermometer---Eureka Mignon---MBK 58.35mm---Grindenstein

When I had a Mignon I seem to remember that all beans seemed to be in a half turn range.

It only needs really slight adjustments to make a big difference. In my head I used to divide the dial into 12ths (each quarter into 3) and work from that.

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

I use a Mignon and don't rely on the numbers on the dial at all, which in any event are just arbitrarily placed there. I accept that I might need to pull a few shots to get the right grind and as urbanbumpkin suggests, make slight adjustments as I go.

When I had a Mignon I seem to remember that all beans seemed to be in a half turn range.

It only needs really slight adjustments to make a big difference. In my head I used to divide the dial into 12ths (each quarter into 3) and work from that.

Think I worked in eighths when adjusting it....very sensitive

I completely ignore the distance between the numbers, and seem to have just developed a 'feel' for it. Sometimes its more about how little you can make it move - little nudges - just to get the grind perfect. I find all my beans are somewhere in the 0-1 range, though. Of course, the numbers are completely arbitrary, but the point is that all my adjustments tend to be within that range.

I'm the one asking for a piccolo.

Thanks,

I've read the stickers position is random so I'm just using it as a frame of reference. I'm like you AusieExpat in finding beans work better from 0-1. With anything above 1 resulting in a gritty espresso.

On the first day I worked at the whole numbers. On the second the halves. On the third as thirds, and on the fourths, quarters.

More sensitive than I realised...

La Pavoni Europiccola Millenium - Porlex mini - Eureka Mignon Mk2

I've had a mignon for about a month. I'm try lots of different beans at the moment so have to re-adjust the grind setting one or twice a week. At first I was all over the shop but then I narrowed it down so that now there is range which seems to cover most beans and now only needs +/- 0.5. I adjust in about one-eighth steps unless the shot is coming out way to fast/slow, in which case I may adjust by one half.

My Mignon arrived today so I haven't had much of a chance to play with it, but early trials suggest that the numbers on the dial are a charming fiction. I seem to have found about the right setting between 0 and 5 - but to make it finer I will have to turn it towards 5, which makes no sense to my tired brain...

Fracino Piccino | Black Niche Zero | VST 18g | Espro Press | Baratza Encore | Hario Slim

Think of the numbers as notches. Find your 'zero point' by going finer (with no coffee of course) until the burrs just start chirping, then back off a bit. Somewhere around half a turn from there (from memory) is espresso territory.

Clockwise finer; anti-clockwise coarser.

Think of the numbers as notches. Find your 'zero point' by going finer (with no coffee of course) until the burrs just start chirping, then back off a bit. Somewhere around half a turn from there (from memory) is espresso territory.

Clockwise finer; anti-clockwise coarser.

I'm still getting used to the mignon but find it is sensitive so very small turns work well, keeping it between certain numbers on the dial.

In relation to above quote is it alright to grind without beans? I thought I read on here not to do that?

What's the point...it'll only change soon!

Yes once it's in the right 'zone' it's about tiny adjustments. I can't see the harm in spinning it up without beans, particularly to find the zero-point. Nothing is touching, what damage could be done?

Absolutely fine to run it without beans

Thanks, I'll have a go at that when I get home.

Fracino Piccino | Black Niche Zero | VST 18g | Espro Press | Baratza Encore | Hario Slim

I set move the dial in increments of 1 until I'm roughly at the correct fineness then halves and finally quarters. Not a quick process and can consume a lot of coffee.

I've no numbers at all on mine!

I'm experimenting.

[eta]

I do have numbers on mine (just double checked), but they have no notch/point to dial them to.

The they are effectively useless.

Edited by namchampa

All my beans have been happiest between 3 and 4! May try the chirping system tomorrow.

All my beans have been happiest between 3 and 4! May try the chirping system tomorrow.

Numbers definitely meaningless as I am between 0-1. I have found a good way of getting close to the zone (espresso) with new beans is to back the grinder off, then grind whilst tightening until you start to see clumps. Thereafter only minute adjustments should be required.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Numbers definitely meaningless as I am between 0-1. I have found a good way of getting close to the zone (espresso) with new beans is to back the grinder off, then grind whilst tightening until you start to see clumps. Thereafter only minute adjustments should be required.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Bless the Mignon. Who'd have thought the clumps could be used as a benefit!

I've just got one too and had a play round and just before I used the last of my decent beans the grind was too fine as it was choking the gaggia so am I beat off getting some supermarket beans to dial it in to an approximate setting first and then fine tune with my good beans?

I've just got one too and had a play round and just before I used the last of my decent beans the grind was too fine as it was choking the gaggia so am I beat off getting some supermarket beans to dial it in to an approximate setting first and then fine tune with my good beans?

No point. A dialing "point" is specific to a coffee bean, the roast level, humidity, temperature and other factors.

If you are chocking the machine, just get the beans that you want and turn the knob anti-clockwise (to grind coarser), going from one number to the other (so, say, for example, from 2 to 1.0, then to 0, then to 5) etc.

Once you get a very slow shot, then go halfway between the numbers. Once you are in the ballpark, then just go in 1/4 increments/decrements.

Hope that helps!

The only thing you will be dailing in with super market beans is super market beans . I really would not waste your time or money ( for all the reason the post above suggests )

Edited by Mrboots2u

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Thanks for the info guys makes sense :-)

after my choking shot i managed to get a very slow pouring shot with the remainder of my beans so I'm guessing it should only need minor adjustments so as you suggest so half adjustments between numbers and using the number thats at 6 o'clock so to speak (whilst facing the mignon!).

So i should be looking to fill a double shot in around 25-30 seconds?

I think I had mine dialled in after about 6-7 shots.

I had a play with the spare burrs that came with it and could see they couldnt come to any harm if they rubbed together (hope thats true)

So I turned the dial so the burrs were just touching and backed it off slightly.

1st shot was too coarse, so I realised I had moved the dial too much and just worked back form there.

Pretty soon realised it only required the merest turn of the dial as the next shot chocked it.

I think now I must move the dial by about 1-2mm at any time if i feel it needs tweaking.

I did read this thread after I had started trying to dial it in and found it helpful in so far as the numbers on the dial are just that and noone can say set it on 4.75 as that is only true of their machine and where they consider the non existent zero marker to be.

But FYI the number on my dial is 0.4 taking a reading at 6o'clock

Thanks for the info guys makes sense :-)

after my choking shot i managed to get a very slow pouring shot with the remainder of my beans so I'm guessing it should only need minor adjustments so as you suggest so half adjustments between numbers and using the number thats at 6 o'clock so to speak (whilst facing the mignon!).

So i should be looking to fill a double shot in around 25-30 seconds?

Time to do some reading.....

http://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread.php?22879-Beginners-Reading-Weighing-Espresso-Brew-Ratios

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc