IGNORED

What do you pay for coffee ? How much is is worth ?

Mrboots - split from the Rave Roasters thread... a question re current offers from a roaster, prompted some discussion on the price coffee is bought for and prices bewtween different beans and roasters .....

yeah as a bag price (for fresh decent beans) you're probably right but it's not £9.50 though is it once you've paid £2.40 postage.

A £25+ order is not ideal for me as I usually only drink 1kg / mnth so to get the £25 order value I have to buy 2kgs+, unless of course I buy the more expensive 250/350g bags however this means my £9.50/kg bag is now more like £17-19+ per kg.

If there is no offer on, it is what it is, we are where we are, I shall pay up and move on.

I think watching this film if you get an opportunity would be a good thing

http://afilmaboutcoffee.com

Edited by Mrboots2u
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a gateway coffee...try this, it's cheap...piques peoples's interest in decent coffee then they realise good coffee is with paying extra for then they hopefully start exploring more.

For a lot of people if it was 8 quid a kilo supermarket shit then a leap to (at least) 20 a kilo speciality they might never make the jump

It's a gateway coffee...try this, it's cheap...piques peoples's interest in decent coffee then they realise good coffee is with paying extra for then they hopefully start exploring more.

For a lot of people if it was 8 quid a kilo supermarket shit then a leap to (at least) 20 a kilo speciality they might never make the jump

I dont think buying kilo bags will be the gateway moment, its usually a gateway cup in a cafe / friends house?

Martin, have you watched the whole film? Looks interesting from the short trailer. Weighing up whether to rent or purchase?

Yes . watch its worth every penny...

You can rent it on vimeo

I saw it at a showing at my local roasters ...great hour ish well spent

I dont think buying kilo bags will be the gateway moment, its usually a gateway cup in a cafe / friends house?

Look at the amount of people on here recently that have baulked at a fiver a 250g bag when they're used to paying under a tenner for a kilo of shit. Rave IJ gets recommended as an introduction as it's far superior to commodity stuff but still cheap enough people don't feel it's a rip off.

Funny thing is, rave buy their greens from the same importers as a lot of other roasters yet they don't cost as much roasted, someone is making more somewhere and I am sure they are not donating back to the farmers!!

Funny thing is, rave buy their greens from the same importers as a lot of other roasters yet they don't cost as much roasted, someone is making more somewhere and I am sure they are not donating back to the farmers!!

This is going way off topic, but sure , there are not that many importers for specialty, perhaps 3-4 key ones - lots of roasters will have cross over . Don't forget there are many grades of coffees from single importers, and some roasters get preferential treatment , first offerings before anyone else.

Direct trade where possible is best, cut out the middlemen and all that BS. We are quite lucky having 60-70% of our coffees from direct relationships with farms/mill/exporters - you can say ''make this 88 point coffee a 90 and we will pay x amount more''. Its hard work , time and a lot of money on travel but worth it.

There is a degree of affectation with this notion of direct relationships between growers and roasters. It's the current way of justifying higher prices, and it is something of a bandwagon that roasters seem to want to get on. Standard marketing strategy, in fact, purporting to offer something 'exclusive'. I'm not suggesting it has no actual value to the consumer, but it has great marketing value to the roaster.

In a way, I'm not against it. If there is a tangible benefit in the quality then it is something that roasters can lay claim too. Otherwise, they can't lay claim to much. In the grand scheme of food processing coffee roasters have minimal input.

There is a degree of affectation with this notion of direct relationships between growers and roasters. It's the current way of justifying higher prices, and it is something of a bandwagon that roasters seem to want to get on. Standard marketing strategy, in fact, purporting to offer something 'exclusive'. I'm not suggesting it has no actual value to the consumer, but it has great marketing value to the roaster.

In a way, I'm not against it. If there is a tangible benefit in the quality then it is something that roasters can lay claim too. Otherwise, they can't lay claim to much. In the grand scheme of food processing coffee roasters have minimal input.

So direct trade secures a farmer a fair price , year after year , with which they know they can invest in their staff, families of staff educations and well being , the area and environment , and produce better quality coffee , you dont see that as having an impact and adding value ? If a roaster ( any roaster ) is achieving with this , they are impacting on the quality of the product people are getting ..Shirley?

If a guy from bluebottle says to a farmer , ill buy your coffee while the company is alive and running , at x price , and you can start to make long term investment as a result , thats got to be a good thing ...

As a suggestion have you watched a film about coffee ...

Edited by Mrboots2u

In the name of sustainability, there is no way one can offer extremely low prices on anything that classes as specialty, it really will mean the farmer/co-ops/pickers/families are getting shafted somewhere and thats not going to introduce higher quality in following years. Working in the coffeelands really is one of the poorest occupations in the world and the only way to improve that is to offer incentives to boost quality, support communities and build relationships.

Now the debate is how to educate/explain why it costs more for your bag or cup of coffee to somebody who doesn't know without pushing it on them aggressively in an arrogantly hipster fashion ;)

I agree with Gary here in that Direct Trade really is best, if you are lucky enough to have years of relationships behind you then the possibilities are fantastic- hasbean are a great example of this. However, what I don't like is the way direct trade is being bandied about by so many people worldwide incorrectly....

anyhow, back to the topic, paying more is worth it if you want to continue seeing quality coffee emerging from origin. The C price is so low currently that just paying specialty prices doesn't cut it, the farmers need a margin on top of their production costs to even make having their farms feasible let alone profitable.

Pay more suckas! :p