Coffee Forums banner

Putting a Silvia Wand Onto New 2015 Gaggia Classics

23K views 34 replies 22 participants last post by  lolomaonlo 
#1 ·
Right then

Entertainment Audio equipment Hardware programmer Microphone Computer hardware

Lid off then whip the switches out the front to give you some room. Easy two plastic clips held in by a little metal bracket behind on inside of wall.

Motor vehicle Hood Coil Automotive design Automotive exterior

Then a T10 torque driver and undo the little silver plate. A longer T10 which has a magnetic end helps here.

Audio equipment Electrical wiring Gadget Electronic component Circuit component

Take the plastic end off the Gaggia wand. Wiggle the wand through the hole. I had to give the wand a very tiny bend, really tiny to get this through.

Next you have to release the three little clips in the black ball end to open it and separate in two.

I forgot to take pics of this bit but the video on page 4 of this thread shows it perfectly!

The Rancilio wand then is replaces the Gaggia one. I kept the Gaggia little rubber O ring in as it was fatter so deemed it would be more steam tight. Slide the bottom of the ball joint up the Rancilio wand and it just clips back in.

Thread your new Rancilio wand back down through the hole into position.

Motor vehicle Hood Coil Automotive design Automotive exterior

Screw the little silver top plate back on over the ball joint. This is probably the most fiddly bit of the job due to space and not taking the outer shell off but still pretty easy and I have big hands.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Next stick the rubber gasket and end nozzle back on your Rancilio wand...Something you took off at the beginning or threading it through the hole into position will be impossible!!!!

Hand Gesture Finger Nail Thumb

Then a couple of comparisons with old

Finger Nail Sleeve Wrist Thumb

Gesture Finger Thumb Nail Wrist

Testing, no leaks, all good!

Material property Event Magenta Room Peach

Stick the lid back on and put your machine back where it belongs primed and ready.

Wood Food Kitchen appliance Shipping box Gas

All in all about half an hour, even if your cack handed I reckon you'll not break 3/4 of an hour.

A very very easy mod but of course the proof will be in the first frothing but the steam looks good.

So yes the Rancilio wand does fit a 2015 Classic and easily! These pics may help you if you want to and the video on page 4 of this thread though it shows a different machine is basically the same job and shows the little bits I forgot. I think Neil posted it.

So thanks to him and everyone else who has helped me suss and do this, I'm off to make a coffee.

SK8

Edit: apologies for the sideways photo's......bit rubbish at that lol though managed the mod hahaha

Attachments

#3 ·
jeebsy said:
Nice write up - sounds pretty simple if you have the tools
Cheers bud and yeah very easy.

Little pair of pliers for Rancilio nozzle

Philips screw driver for lid removal

T10 torque screwdriver for two little screws on the sliver plate that sits on the ball joint.

I had to buy the T10 but three tools only and you can do it. Rancilio wand £10 of eBay so it's a bloody cheap mod.

#4 ·
MartinB said:
Next step: Fitting and adjusting an OPV to a 2015 Classic!
Hmmmmm we'll see about that one. I am happy to have one achieved one of the mods I wanted to. The valve if to do might just be worth getting an old machine instead.......

I'm not unhappy with the espresso results I get and have scales on the way which should help refine and get the experimenting honed for now. Who knows after that....as I have said I wouldn't say the 2015 is a bad machine at all. The wand I just didn't like so glad I achieved. The solenoid valve I didn't know I could tune so wasn't considering before others mentioned......but never say die!!!

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Jumbo Ratty said:
Really good job:good:.

What wand did you get as I have seen variations mentioned, V1, V2 or V3 ? I imagine it was the V3..

Also, can you tell me how much of a gap there is between the bottom of the newly fitted wand and your work surface \ bottom of machine (not including the plinth). Need to know if my existing jug will go under without spilling milk everywhere !
V1/V2 version Ratty you can pick them up off ebay for around a tenner.

Oddly it seems like the Rancilio wand has a little more room though longer as the angles are slightly different. It sort of sticks out a little more. This means it is a little restricted as it touches the underside of the Classic when pointing forwards but sticks out a bit further rather than being totally underneath. I use mine sticking forwards and it's more roomy. There's even more sideways as it clears the machine more.

I put my classic with old wand on a wooden chopping block as soon as I had it for more room and still have it on there with the Rancilio.

I am out and about at moment but can do a measurement once home if you like?

As for the Rancilio it definitely produces a better microfoam foam. The old wand seemed to make the milk to large and to quick with a to big a bubbled head this one seems to some how increase the pressure and the froth is more even, doesn't expand to much or as quickly.

Definitely better and easier to clean and you can see what's going on more without that big plastic bit on the Gaggia wand which one one of the things I disliked. It's a deffo improvement.

Edit: home now depths not including plinth (plinth was there with original wand also Jumbo Ratty).

From front to bottom of nozzle is 95mm

From sideways to bottom of nozzle 115mm

Hope that helps.

#9 ·
chewy said:
Didn't expect to find a Crass fan on here. Nice write up. Sounds more of pain with the recent Gaggias than I had with mine.
Some quality caffeine fuelled anarchy mate, but yeah punks my first love yep lol......it's an easy upgrade though.

Seems the pressure mod is possible also now (it appeared it wasn't with no solenoid valve) so that's next thing on.

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just done this mod, 30 mins total, found it easier to unclip the three catches on the black ball joint with three small flat screwdrivers, also handy was a magnetic screwdriver as I dropped the two screws inside the machine. Find pic below of the ball joint and three lugs. Result of the mod, much better microfoam no giant bubble foam anymore ;-)

Audio equipment Gas Wood Machine Electronic device

Gas Automotive wheel system Automotive tire Rim Screw

Attachments

#23 ·
I've just followed the instructions on here, and sorted my "upgrade" in about 40 minutes - mainly faffing around trying to get the old wand through the mass of pipework and wiring - then I realised i'd forgotten to move the switches forwards out of the front-panel
:D
'ohhh: - replacement works great, no leaks, no fuss, and hardly any blood spilled in the process... Many thanks to the OP for this thread.

B-Roadie said:
I see that some sellers have standard and 'pre modified' v1/v2 wands listed.

The modified wands come with a different nut but looking at these pics the wand no longer threads into place at all. Is this correct?
very late to the party, but to answer your question, the pre-modified wands are for the pre-2015 models - for the 2015 model, simply buy the "normal" Rancilio Wand, discard the nut, washer and (possibly) the rubber O ring - I say possibly, as you're best choosing whichever o-ring gives the tightest seal. No point in buying the "pre-modified" because you're paying a premium for stuff you're going to discard anyway.

#26 ·
Just completed... seems to be working fine and actually very easy as long as you have the T10 screw driver... I am seriously NOT diy and it seemed to work fine. Trickiest part getting the little metal cover back in position to secure the new wand in place. Thanks for the guide!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.