Jumbo Ratty

From pressurised to non pressurised Gaggia Classic basket

Hello,

I have recently bought a new Gaggia Classic which comes with the pressurised basket and I am considering changing over to a Non pressurised basket. The reason is I almost feel it is cheating by using the perfecta crema rubber grommit thing. My previous machine was a Francis Francis X1 which used a non pressurised basket.

A few questions regarding this have come to mind.

Can I simply get a new un pressurised basket and fit it in my existing portafilter handle whilst also removing the crema device?

If I change to un pressurised would the flow of coffee not be too quick as it wont be restricted like it would with the pressurised version ?

Would I have to do the OPV modification as well ?

1) yes

2) you'll need to adjust your grind to compensate

3) no

You can switch to stock non-pressurised baskets - cheap as chips to buy. You can use branded baskets like VST or IMS if you wish. Remove the plastic widget as you say. Your machine is optimised for non-pressurised baskets at around 15bar. Would be a good idea to bring this down to 9-10. You would need to borrow the modded portafilter with in-built manometer to do this. Simple to do. You can use the machine at current pressure with non-pressurised baskets.

If I change to un pressurised would the flow of coffee not be too quick as it wont be restricted like it would with the pressurised version ?

Sounds counter-intuitive but higher the bar pressure (above the optimised level of 9-10bar) can restrict flow through the puck. Higher pressure forces fines down through the puck and compresses them leading to restriction of rather than increased flow.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

You can switch to stock non-pressurised baskets - cheap as chips to buy. You can use branded baskets like VST or IMS if you wish. Remove the plastic widget as you say. Your machine is optimised for non-pressurised baskets at around 15bar.

Sorry, is that a typo ? I would have thought my machine would be optimised for a pressurised basket ?

Does anyone happen to know what sized double baskets are provided with the machines as I would like to get the same sized replacement ? Nowhere in the operating instruction manual does it suggest the correct weight I should be using to fill the basket to the correct amount, merely stating scoops !

Looking at the VST baskets they are sized by weight, would a direct replacement be the 15g, 18g or the 20g? Also it mentions them being "ridgeless" sorry if this sounds dim, but what does that mean (please dont say no ridges :) )

Yep - it's a typo - should read 'optimised for a pressurised basket'.

Sorry, is that a typo ? I would have thought my machine would be optimised for a pressurised basket ?

Does anyone happen to know what sized double baskets are provided with the machines as I would like to get the same sized replacement ? Nowhere in the operating instruction manual does it suggest the correct weight I should be using to fill the basket to the correct amount, merely stating scoops !

Looking at the VST baskets they are sized by weight, would a direct replacement be the 15g, 18g or the 20g? Also it mentions them being "ridgeless" sorry if this sounds dim, but what does that mean (please dont say no ridges :) )

Unless Gaggia have altered their stock baskets for new machines, then it'll be an 18g double.

Ridged clips in to the portafilter with a positive mechanical connection against the spring clip. Ridgeless slides in an out easier for changing more easily. This article will help! http://thingscoffee.com.au/accessories/ridged-or-ridgeless.html

Edited by NJD1977
added article link

Quickmill Andreja Premium---Eric's E61 Thermometer---Eureka Mignon---MBK 58.35mm---Grindenstein

Hi some advise. I wouldn't buy VST baskets if you are going to stick with your current method of dosing coffee by the scoop ( ive read your the thread to summise this )

You simply wont get the best taste or value for money from a vst basket this way. The vst baskets are optimised to be within plus or minus 1g or their name

So 15 g vst has optimal dosing range of 14-16g ...

Using scoops instead of scales you would not be able to guarentee what is going in.

Cheers Martin

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Is there a place where I can get a genuine gaggia un pressurised double basket from ? Preferably ridged. I have been looking for the past hour or so with no luck.

Oops, just found it, just need to order more stuff to justify the postage http://www.happydonkey.co.uk/hd0183-gaggia-double-filter-basket.html

Edited by Jumbo Ratty
found it

Why bother with a genuine one? You can get an unpressurised double basket from Happydonkey for about £4, which I have been using perfectly with my classic.

Gaggia classic (rancillio steam wand, opv mod, unpressurised basket) - Mazzer Super Jolly - Rhino Hand Grinder - Aeropress - Bodum French Press

Why do you want a genuine basket? Third party ones are two or three quid. There will be absolutely no difference.

As far as I am aware, stock non-pressurised baskets that came with pre-pressurised Classics were non-branded. You won't find any difference using unbranded stock ones.

Jumbo espresso services do them, I just bought one this morning. I now have 2 (don't ask) Are you near Glasgow? If not I can send you one.

What's the point...it'll only change soon!

Cant see one on *there for £4. Looks like they only do genuine gaggia ones for £7.19, just a shame the shipping is £4.25 regardless, which is why I will buy more from them at the same time,, just need to browse

Edited by Jumbo Ratty

Why do you want a genuine basket? Third party ones are two or three quid. There will be absolutely no difference.

I guess it's to avoid the disappointment the reviewers of this product have encountered

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gaggia-Stainless-Pressurised-Espresso-Machines/dp/B004ZER1TA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1422285975&sr=8-2&keywords=gaggia+filter

Fair enough , there are a ton of people use standard baskets on here from Ebay and Happy Donkey ...unbranded and they work well .

This may sound patronising and rude ( its not meant to be honest )

We are just trying to save you money and give you the benefit of people experiences , that know a little bit about coffee ( i dont include myself in this ) , have used products and want to share experiences and .

Personally id rather take the experience of fellow forum members over Amazon noobs ... but to each their own ...

Instagram - rjw_inc

Read the three 1 star reviews in the Amazon link - first one is hilarious - holes too big:)

Check this out at CoffeeHit

http://coffeehit.co.uk/gaggia-double-filter-basket

14 out of 14 five star reviews.

Right you are about the price on happy donkey, not sure why I though they were only £4, unless it was the backflushing basket I was thinking of.

Either way, I've been using mine with no problems.

Gaggia classic (rancillio steam wand, opv mod, unpressurised basket) - Mazzer Super Jolly - Rhino Hand Grinder - Aeropress - Bodum French Press

Read the three 1 star reviews in the Amazon link - first one is hilarious - holes too big

"and the coffee basket does not produce crema at all!"

Bloody useless!

It's as if crema rather than taste is the benchmark for coffee

Jumbo espresso services do them, I just bought one this morning. I now have 2 (don't ask) Are you near Glasgow? If not I can send you one.

I'm not near Glasgow no, i'm in Suffolk. But thank you for your kind offer.

I do believe I shall be getting it from Happy Donkey, as it states they are a genuine gaggia part. And I have seen Happy Donkey mentioned elsewhere on this site with good feedback.

Doesn't Genuine Gaggia = made by philips now ....so therefore not really genuine gaggia anymore :)

Instagram - rjw_inc

The 57mm traditional basket will fit the filter holder. You can either get a single or double basket. Double comes in 14 or 16g sizes. You can still use the crema pin but you do not need it. It only regulates the flow. It is essential to have a consistently finely ground coffee if you are using the traditional basket. You also have to tamp it hard to get a good crema. You may use a bit more coffee if you are finding it difficult to get a crema.

1995 'Coffee Gaggia' with full Gaggia Classic conversion, DIY PID Controller, OPV set to 9bar, Silvia steam wand, Botomless PF, VST 15g Basket, Motta 58mm Tamper and Ascaso I-Mini grinder

I got a 18g VST ridged Ratty, love it though they are expensive I suppose for a basket. Getting good results though still playing with the grind and tamp.

Am finding no matter what the grind (obviously fine though, espresso etc) that I need to tamp not nearly as hard as with my old machine on this new Gaggia.

Honestly I saw the pressurized one and little thing underneath and though pretty new to this went 'huh?!'. I looked firstly and thought cool normal baskets lol the fact they only had one hole but made it look like it had them all, why do that. who sees it......tucked all that lot away now. No looking back! Let it flow!

Edited by Sk8-bizarre

sig was stupid long........