Oh dear....I'm getting that urge to upgrade!!

fight it.

or alternatively let us help you spend your money! post a seperate thread if you want some help :)

Yuxo09y.jpg

Can we get the original post updated? Clearly the Sage DTP should be on there, it's a very capable and popular machine for it's price.

Espresso: QM Rapida, Ceado E37S • Brewed: Kalita Wave, Sage SGP • Work: Aeropress, Feld2

This is going back a bit:

Circa 2011 - Delonghi Art Deco; Preground

Circa 2011 - + Zassenhause 'Z' Mill; Starbucks/Supermarket Wholebean

08/2013 - + Gene Cafe

09/2013 - La Pavoni Pro; Zassenhaus

10/2013 - + Iberital Mc2

06/2014 - + Eureka Mignon

01/2015- + Dimmer Mod to Gene Cafe

05/2015 - Expobar Office Leva

07/2015 - + Ceado E8 (Currently Awaiting Mods)

12/2015 - + OE Lido E (Brewed and Alt Espresso)

08/2017 - + OE Pharos with Voodoo Daddy Mods (So far Espresso only)

Still got Vac Pots and cold brew kit that I rarely use, a Pavoni in pieces, and a couple of tampers that never go near my baskets. Along with a Kruve Sifter and a small french press. I should probably

have a clear out.

Expobar DB Office Leva IV, La Pavoni Professional -- FOR SALE: MBK HEFT, Torr Goldfinger Titan Convex & 58.55 Flat -- Ceado E8, Lido E, Pharos VDD -- 2 and 5 cup Syphons; Vintage Nicro Metal Filter -- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

Ok, so I'm a month in and already have upgraditis!

Love my Sage DTP and excited to try the naked PF I have on the way, but I can already see I'm going to outgrow it. Does anyone have any experience with Vibiemme machines? Don't seem popular on here but seem to have a great spec for the price, a bit like Expobar

Sage Duo Temp Pro and Mazzer Super Jolly (Doserless Mod) | Espresso Addict!

Ok, so I'm a month in and already have upgraditis!

Love my Sage DTP and excited to try the naked PF I have on the way, but I can already see I'm going to outgrow it. Does anyone have any experience with Vibiemme machines? Don't seem popular on here but seem to have a great spec for the price, a bit like Expobar

That's the only downside to this forum, too many tempting machines to tease you lol.

Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, La Pavoni, Compak e8, Niche Zero, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate

That's the only downside to this forum, too many tempting machines to tease you lol.

And to many people to tease you and make you do bad things (well not bad as such... but)

Subjectivity is a central philosophical concept, related to consciousness, agency, personhood, amount spent, reality and truth which has been defined by various sources.

And to many people to tease you and make you do bad things (well not bad as such... but)

Tell me about it . . . I feel I have been veritably manipulated like never before!!!!!

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

Tell me about it . . . I feel I have been veritably manipulated like never before!!!!!

I'd say you have one of the rigs I envy the most I may have to unfollow you before it costs me a fortune haha.

@DaveP I'm also struggling to not look at your machine lol

Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, La Pavoni, Compak e8, Niche Zero, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate

All,

i currently have the sage dual boiler and smart grinder pro. Thinking of upgrading. Considering the rocket mozzafiato and Fausto combo. Any thoughts?

I would not be 100% convinced that swapping the Sage DB for an E61 HX is an upgrade. I personally am very happy with my Rocket DB but if you're used to Sage warm-up times and dual boiler temp control/steaming, don't get a Rocket HX.

Grinder? Ohhhh yeah, fill your boots! Keep the SDB and go nuts on a serious grinder. Will make a bigger difference in the cup I think.

If you like the Fausto it's worth remembering that it's heavily based on the equivalent Eureka which is probably cheaper so maybe look at the Olympus 75e for starters?

Edited by hotmetal

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

This is going back a bit:

Circa 2011 - Delonghi Art Deco; Preground

Circa 2011 - + Zassenhause 'Z' Mill; Starbucks/Supermarket Wholebean

08/2013 - + Gene Cafe

09/2013 - La Pavoni Pro; Zassenhaus

10/2013 - + Iberital Mc2

06/2014 - + Eureka Mignon

01/2015- + Dimmer Mod to Gene Cafe

05/2015 - Expobar Office Leva

07/2015 - + Ceado E8 (Currently Awaiting Mods)

12/2015 - + OE Lido E (Brewed and Alt Espresso)

08/2017 - + OE Pharos with Voodoo Daddy Mods (So far Espresso only)

Still got Vac Pots and cold brew kit that I rarely use, a Pavoni in pieces, and a couple of tampers that never go near my baskets. Along with a Kruve Sifter and a small french press. I should probably

have a clear out.

A very impressive CV :)

How did you manage space-wise?

Nothing succeeds as planned.

Nuova Simonelli Apia I 1 gr, San Remo 1 gr., Bezzera BZ35e, Fracino Heavenly, Saeco Via Veneto Combi de Luxe, Mythos Plus Nuova Simonelli, Anfim Super Lusso, Cunill Space, Gene Cafe

Could’ve sworn I posted in this thread.. Oh well..

Peculator with pre-ground (40 years ago or so..) first taste of decent coffee..

Instant, preferred Kenco.

French Press.

Bialettit Mocka Pot.

Dolce Gusto (given by some friends..)

Dualitt Espressivo. (given to me by a customer)

Gaggia Classic + Pre-ground.

Gaggia Classic + RR45.

Gaggia Classic (now modded) + Mazzer Major (and a Super Jolly)

La Pavoni Europpicola + Mazzer Major.

In between upgrades I’ve added a Bialetti induction Mocka Pot, Syphon, V60 and Aeropress..

..then this happened..

Kees Van der Weston Speedster + Mazzer Major

...then finally (he says.. :rolleyes:)

KVdW Speedster + ‘Terranova’d’ Versalab M3

Now where? :popcorn:

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

A very impressive CV :)

How did you manage space-wise?

Vac pots and gene cafe are in storage along with the Ceado (probably should sell it).

Expobar DB Office Leva IV, La Pavoni Professional -- FOR SALE: MBK HEFT, Torr Goldfinger Titan Convex & 58.55 Flat -- Ceado E8, Lido E, Pharos VDD -- 2 and 5 cup Syphons; Vintage Nicro Metal Filter -- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

1960 >> 2018 = various kettles

Feb 2018 = Sage DB + Smart Grinder Pro

Planning for grinder upgrade in 4-6 months, could be Niche ATM

Head down, boogying, in a mindless, no-nonsense sort of way...

Sage Dual Boiler, Sage Smart Grinder Pro, techno-wok roaster

1960 >> 2018 = various kettles

Feb 2018 = Sage DB + Smart Grinder Pro

Planning for grinder upgrade in 4-6 months, could be Niche ATM

;) You probably haven't had the DB long enough really to explore it's possibilities. Maybe you went with the 6bar or some other pressure brew brigade, In that case you probably don't know what it can do used in a normal mode and even then the pre infusion can be messed with. Temperature can also be changed. I decided to go the KIS way. Just extended the infusion time a bit. The shot counter on the grinder is now 200 higher than when I bought it. Some of that is misleading but even now I am still making minor changes to how I brew my favourite bean. Just rather small grind and shot time adjustments but I'm bound to try something more dramatic at some point.

I have sold my SGP and part of me says what on earth have I done that for. ;) Part of the reason is to make me try something else - real upgraditus. It has it's problems of sorts which in my view apply one way or the other to many. If not all in some areas actually.

John

-

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Profitec T64. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A, Ceado 37J. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

:pToo many filter baskets - maybe. For sale when I get round to it. Robur Elect, Ceado 37J, Ascaso i_1,Piccino

I have sold my SGP and part of me says what on earth have I done that for. ;) Part of the reason is to make me try something else - real upgraditus. It has it's problems of sorts which in my view apply one way or the other to many. If not all in some areas actually.

John

-

The problem is John it’s shite! Greydad is absolutely doing the right thing in upgrading the grinder, one day you will upgrade and have the lightbulb moment. ( and no a Mazzer mini , although better than the sage is not a significant step up)

AKA Toffee chips

If this helps - I went the Krups crap, mc2 tiny conic - 64mm rossi - 64mm mazzer - 83mm Major - each of these is an upgrade on the last - in particular the last step to 83mm was the most significant and suddenly made beans that had been undrinkable with a 64mm mazzer quite good - there is a reason the high end grinders are 75mm and up, im afraid the electronics and fancy mech don't remove the need for a large quality burrs, the sage deserves something better - there is a chart somewhere on here that shows a comparative chart of grinders and results - I will try and find it

keep calm and grind flat

Well. Opinions on the Sage vary and some are very happy with the Mini. Sage too sometimes in an odd way. Next one on on my bench will be a Robur but not at all sure how long that will be around. I'm suffering the 2 different beans grinder blues at the moment so the Robur should be in use shortly. When that goes which it probably will I'm likely to get similar comments about my choice of a replacement.

The Niche does seem to be a sensible option but I decided to go in a different direction. Grinders - taste can be changed in all sorts of ways so comparing A with B is rather difficult. I could make all sorts of comments about Sage versus Mini but this isn't the place for it. Just one - there is a fair old price difference so people would expect some aspect to differ. One's conical, the others flat - same again. One grinds faster than the other ............ etc.

John

-

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Profitec T64. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A, Ceado 37J. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

:pToo many filter baskets - maybe. For sale when I get round to it. Robur Elect, Ceado 37J, Ascaso i_1,Piccino

Robur should be in use shortly. When that goes which it probably will I'm likely to get similar comments about my choice of a replacement.

-

I can't imagine selling a Robur. Seems like the end of the road for grinders. Thing about grinders is the footprint is similar, they just get much taller. Like the song says "you ain't so big, you're just tall, that's all"...

Gaggia Baby 2002 and 2005, Mazzer Major, Motta 58.4mm tamper

I can't imagine selling a Robur. Seems like the end of the road for grinders. Thing about grinders is the footprint is similar, they just get much taller. Like the song says "you ain't so big, you're just tall, that's all"...

LOL Perhaps I should have said I hope it wont be around for long otherwise I might conclude I have to have 2. I see it as being an ebay loan to see what it does do. If it goes I will offer it on here but as it wont be cheap it could well finish up on ebay and take a while to sell. It's the E version, refurb, new burrs, 2010 and showing 8,300 odd shots but some 10,000's could be added to that. Bearings look to be in very good condition and haven't been changed but some noticeable marks on the body. I suppose I could pimp it but I doubt if I will. Price wise I could only work on ratios from new so no real idea what they should cost. A tube hopper for it is pretty easy other than an adapter which I have made but need to tidying up a bit. The other option is weighing in. It may work out better than a Ceado in that respect. A tube hopper doesn't do anything about trapped grinds but I wonder how much of them actually go stale. Then comes the the grind setting change problem - that one is serious. ;) Maybe the answer is to empty it out manually and make a drink with them that's slightly off.

John

-

Bialetti Moka Pot 3-cup + Delonghi KG89

Delonghi Icona + Delonghi KG89

Delonghi Icona + Smart Grinder Pro

Gaggia Classic + Smart Grinder Pro

Gaggia Classic (+ Rancilio Silvia V2 Steam Wand) + Smart Grinder Pro

Upcoming:

Gaggia Classic (+ Rancilio Silvia V2 Steam Wand + OPV Mod + MrShades PID kit + Brass Distribution Block + IMS Shower Screen + Silicon Gasket) + Smart Grinder Pro