Filter machine - Morphy Richards I think - supermarket pre-ground - used to go mouldy a lot

Bialetti stove top - s/m pre-ground - still in use

Gaggia Classic + Dualit 75002 - 2006-2014 - mail order beans from roaster - left at last workplace

Gaggia Brera super-auto - bought on ebay - returned to ebay shortly afterwards - didn't make proper espresso

Sage Dual Boiler v2 + Astoria (Mazzer) SJ - Jan 2015 - SJ too much faff for impatient me

Sage DB + La Scala (Macap) MXD - Feb 2015 - happy now!

Vow not to buy any more coffee gear - Feb 2015

Sage DB + MXD + Sage Smart grinder Pro (bought with vouchers, used for decaf) - Feb 2015

As above, but Sowden James SoftBrew and Hario Slim added for work - March 2015

no more, that's it, c'est fini, enough...

edit: just remembered that I invested in the Rok Grinder a while ago for $129, so I guess that will be added to the list at some point if all goes well.

Edited by NickdeBug
just remembered...

BOOM! You've just been onomatopoeia'd

That's right, Regent Milk Bar was just near Henry's, a couple of shops up from Church St Market. Marine Ice's was/is Camden, Chalk Farm end.

Rocket Appartamento, Red Eureka Mignon, MBK Simple Beech Tamper, Hario Scales.

has anyone ever downgraded because they missed their trusty old stuff too much?!

has anyone ever downgraded because they missed their trusty old stuff too much?!

ill swap you a gaggia classic and mc2 for your set up if you want?

AKA Toffee chips

I'll offer classic and mignon...

What's the point...it'll only change soon!

I'll offer classic and mignon...

ok then I will offer a heavenly and a superjolly!

AKA Toffee chips

- Started with a Silvia and pre-ground coffee

- Bought a Mazzer Mini (w/doser) a year later

- Added an Auber PID to the Silvia a couple of years ago

- Very recently bought a Super Jolly and Londinium 1 in quick succession (so recently that the L1 has yet to arrive)... already spending a lot of time looking at a potential grinder upgrade (HG One, Versalab, K10 PB).

Londinium I, Titus grinder, BWT MG2+ water filter

- Gran Gaggia

- Krups Bean to Cup

- Fracino Heavenly

- Fracino Contempo

- Rocket Giotto Evo V2

- Pre ground

- Compak K3

- Eureka Mythos

Plus lots of other experimental purchases of various quality.

The Artist Formerly Known As 'jonc' | All the gear, almost no idea.

I started with:

Cafe Roma - Cheap £30 one side filter coffee one side espresso machine

Delonghi Icona in Red and Krups Grinder - This is where i first bought Hasbean Beans

***Tasted what those beans actually should be like at Bath Coffee festival***

Gaggia Classic 2nd hand with Silva steam arm and Porlex hand grinder

Baratza Encore Grinder added

***Still only got about 1 out of 6 shots being really good and coudn't replicate what other machines were doing with the same beans so....***

Rocket Giotto Evo V2 and Eureka Mignon (literally amazing compared to all my other gear, tasted so much better)

Mazzer Mini bought fairly recently from the forums here!

Others added along the way: V60 Drip decanter, V60 1 cup, Aeropress, Clever Coffee Dripper

One thing i ended up doing was keeping my grinders so i now have the Mazzer for my house blend of the week/month, the Encore as my pourover grinder and my mignon i use as a single doser for my guest espresso's. :)

Espresso::Rocket Giotto Evo 2::Mazzer Mini::

Brewed::Eureka Mignon:: Baratza Encore:: V60:: Aeropress::

started off with nespresso and thought it was the bees knees.

then focused on the stove top. again, i thought it was amazing. how could it get any better than burnt illy on a gas hob?!?!

then onto aeropress and union roast freshground. finally, we were getting somewhere.

then it was a eureka mignon with a rocket giotto pro v2. what a fantastic set up that is. so pure and "manual". really enjoyed it.

so i've just started a new chapter - a GS3 av with a compak K10 pro barista. so far, so good. like driving an automatic gearbox but one where i get to set the shift parameters. quite nice in the mornings to be able simply to press a button knowing that it will totally nail the shot.

/stands up.

'I'm a coffee addict and I have upgradeitis'.

Good table, thank you. Now fill it out with every machine and in order of best score!! (by tomorrow please). Got half decent with a 7/8 year old gaggia classic (still have but about to sell) then went for a fracino cherub but.. more shinies!! Just can't make a decision and have £1700 to spend, decisions, decisions..

I went from French Press to a bialetti which got me through countless waking night shifts.

Then came a gaggia classic with cheap krupps burr grinder. After a few months upgraded to an mc2 which was a huge jump.

A couple of years later and a new job bought me a fracino cherub and a quamar m80. Hopefully in a few weeks all being well the last (what I'm promising myself) upgrade will be a ceado e37s from someone on here. Countless tampers, baskets and types of bean. Settled on reg barber and ims baskets, found them a little more forgiving than vst with most of the advantages.

All of this over the space of 10 years.

Pre ground & cafetière

Gaggia baby & Dualit 75002 (still use grinder for brewed)

Found forum

Gaggia baby & MC2

Gaggia Classic & MC2

OPV mod and PID

Gaggia Classic & Mazzer Royal

Still not happy with my espresso, but not ready to blame equipment.

An EK does seem mighty tempting though, hopefully there'll be lots for sale when the Peak is released :-)

Arrarex Caravel, Lido 3, Mainly brewed

An EK does seem mighty tempting though, hopefully there'll be lots for sale when the Peak is released :-)

Unlikely, more aimed at the mythos camp, who I suspect are mostly happy with their mythos already ;)

plenty of k30s about to go on sale tho haha

Tame Barista @ http://tamebaristas.com

Instant coffee - the 'Dark Ages' circa 1980-2005

Stovetop + Krups 75 blade bean basher 2005 on

KitchenAid Artisan Espresso + Krups 75 blade bean basher 2012- late Dec 2015

KitchenAid Artisan Espresso + Mazzer Major, late Dec 2015 to present

"Is that all it does?"

La Pavoni Euro pro

Mazzer Major

Some great journeys on here and definitely crazy to think where I might be in a few years time! I am still very new making a better coffee but my journey so far is;

Instant coffee - does it matter what coffee!

Delonghi filter coffee maker - Pre ground supermarket coffee

Melitta filter coffee maker - Pre ground supermarket coffee

Nespresso (for all of 2 days and then I found this forum!)

Aeropress, Hario V60, CCD + Hario Slim - Pre ground from red tail and beans from 200 Degree

Gaggia Classic (+ CCD) + Porlex - Rave coffee beans

Hoping to add a new grinder to the list soon.

Sage DB (black) and Niche Zero (black)

I never knew this thread existed!

My journey goes something like this.

Long long ago in a galaxy far away: instant. Then tea. Why drink instant?

Cafetiere and preground for years.

Blade grinder and Delonghi 'espresso' machine, supermarkets whole bean.

Nespresso machine through work - regifted.

Same Delonghi machine but MC2. Good beans.

MC2/Classic with PID, wand etc

Mazzer Mini/Classic with PID, wand etc

Mazzer Mini/R58

Zenith 65E/R58

nearly there now!

I've tried to avoid too many incremental steps - find out what you want, save up and/or wait for a good deal - pounce with minimal buying/selling faff.

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Gaggia Classic-----Gaggia MDF

Fracino Classic-----Mazzer Super Jolly

QuickMill Verona-----Brassilia RR55

QuickMill Verona-----Eureka Mythos

Espresso: Quick Mill Verona

Grinder: Mythos and loving it

Tampers: Reg Barber flat 58.35

Years of instant and supermarket pre ground with cafetiere for 'special occasions'.

Delonghi bean to cup thing for years with hasbean, then met Yuri from limini and jumped straight into a la spaziale s1 mini and mazzer super jolly.

Super jolly to compak K10 pb

Feldgrind and V60 (still cafetiere for the special occasions, old habits die hard)

Vesuvius, Monolith Conical, Feldgrind

Some great journeys on here and definitely crazy to think where I might be in a few years time! I am still very new making a better coffee but my journey so far is;

Aeropress, Hario V60, CCD + Hario Slim - Pre ground from red tail and beans from 200 Degree

Gaggia Classic (+ CCD) + Porlex - Rave coffee beans

Hoping to add a new grinder to the list soon.

First electrical grinder added :D

Gaggia Classic, Graef CM702 (+ CCD, Porlex) - Rave italian roast

Sage DB (black) and Niche Zero (black)

For me, Jeff:

- occasional mochas from dad's La Pavoni Eurobar, which I thought was really good at the time, with Lavazza reground

- my own attempts at using said Eurobar, with other supermarket coffee, not ground for espresso, cue dishwater

- cafetiere at uni, with supermarket beans in a blade grinder. I remember feeling so fancy

- cold brew made with same setup, then dosed with flavoured syrups and evaporated milk

- cafetiere, now made with my first burr grinder, a Bodum Bistro

- an old moka pot I found in the back of the cupboard and cleaned up

- a Bialetti brikka, which took me ages to get used to and would occasionally splash coffee all over the stove

- an aeropress which I took to work, along with a Hario Skerton

- a V60, also at work, both single cup and carafe version

- a Gaggia Classic, my current new baby, now fitted with Silvia steam wand, OPV mod, and considering further upgrades

- realised very quickly my Bistro wasn't cutting it. An attempt at modding it for finer grinding failed, and I somehow managed to reduce it to a single, medium-coarse grind setting, leading to...

- a lovely Lido E, which I'm loving so far. Produces lovely 25 second shots on the Gaggia, and plenty of finesse to the adjustment

- now considering a PID to fit to my Gaggia. Awaiting delivery of a VST 15g basket, an IMS screen and a brass shower plate

I think I may have the bug...

EDIT: I missed out a horrible year and a half at uni of Douwe Egberts instant masked with milk and sugar. Think I've almost repressed that memory, although it did get me through some essay crises.

DeLonghi Icona & an old (over 20 years old) herb/spice/coffee "grinder" Jan 2015

DeLonghi Icona & Breville Smart Grinder Pro Feb 2015

Unico Splendor & Breville Smart Grinder Pro June 2015

Unico Splendor & Macap M2M Jan 2016

Always fresh beans though :p.

Diadema/BFC Unico Splendor.....Europiccola.......Macap M2M......Behmor

Folks,

This is a great thread and is timely as it is now time to upgrade the machine at home. So the journey so far:

Ages:

0 to 15 - Nescafe, Kenco and then found Douwe Egberts cup top filters

16 to 32 - French Press and Stove top Bialetti with supermarket ground coffee plus a growing addiction to independent coffee shops in Bristol

32 to 36 - Added a blade grinder and ground own beans

36 to 39 - Was given a 5 yr old Mazzer Lux by mate, reconditioned and rebuilt it and then added a Delonghi Scultura ECZ 351.BK to the mix under the advisement of those folks at Which!

Now need to up the ante a load as we regularly entertain and share the flavours of locally roasted coffee (go Redber & Tugboat!) with friends so end up working very hard with the current machine to pull the required shots and steamed milk. I have also developed a flat white addiction after having worked in Melbourne on and off for the last year.

So the next step on the journey is potentially threefold, either a QM Verona, Izzo Alex IV or Rocket R58 as I would like to be spinning shots in conjunction with the milk.

I have read most of the forums and reviews and my current money is on the Alex Duetto IV but would appreciate some Upgraditus best pointers and opinions ..... the Mazzer is on new burrs and grinding like a mosh pit in a hip hop disco - very fine :cool: - so think this should be OK for the while alongside any of these machines.

rcoltz