jeebsy

What movie did you watch last night?

@DoubleShot that's the one, a former SterCentury on top of a un-timeless looking dying 90's mall. It has 8 screens. The ticket desk closed long ago, so if you dont pre-book you have to get your ticket at the machine or at the popcorn and snack bit. There was nobody checking tickets at the little podium by the entrance to the screens either, so I could have walked right in. Seats were OK, comfortable but a bit worn.

The original Odeon in Norwich closed (it's now a Hollywood cinema), and then the UCI became the Odeon when they took it over, it's got 14 screens and 4 gallery screens and is in much nicer condition.

Londinium I, Mahlkönig Vario, Hario Skerton, Chemex 1-3 Cup.

Just back from Arrival. I was a bit skeptical at the start (lots of sci-fi movies seem to launch with high meta/imdbscores) but it was pretty good.

I wasn't going to bother with this but just seen it's currently got a Metascore of 82/100 and imdb of 8.5/10 so it's now got my attention. One review on there said it's one of the years best movies and it's this generations Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Very high praise indeed.

Would you say it's worth going to the cinema to see this?

If you like Sci Fi then yes definitely. I thought it had a more interesting and refreshing take than things like Interstellar or The Martian.

It was only released yesterday in the UK (and I think today in the USA) so scores may take a bit longer to settle down.

I felt it benefited from being seen at the cinema rather than at home too.

Enjoyed both of those on Blu-Ray. I know you weren't a big fan of either. Sounds pretty good so if I can find it on a large screen, might go next week.

Cheers.

Just watched Hell or High Water. It was OK, but not my thing really. In a way I can see why the reviews were so great, but then when people are saying best film of the year I'm struggling a bit.

The dialogue was very good between the characters, have to give credit for that.

4d38c3ab6c0ea32cc14cd34812fbd922.jpg

A Netflix Original Film, which they are keen to promote as it's mentioned twice in the opening credits. And made with a $40m budget.

Mildly entertaining. This ended up on the 2009 blacklist (best movie scripts that didn't get made).

Netflix certainly haven't embarrassed themselves making some great tv shows imo and making a real name for themselves amongst the already well established American cable channels. Perhaps, in time, they'll do the same with movies?

I agree. It certainly gets you thinking. Just one example is that I don't know whether I just didn't notice before but since I watched it and of course due to the election result I have heard (or noticed) a lot more comments about how social media acts to reinforce peoples' views in that the more you like something the more of it you see and unless you seek out contrary viewpoints you end up sharing with those who believe the same.

Home: Sage Dual Boiler, Probat EK43 & Feldgind

Work: Sage Dual Boiler & Niche Zero

I agree. It certainly gets you thinking. Just one example is that I don't know whether I just didn't notice before but since I watched it and of course due to the election result I have heard (or noticed) a lot more comments about how social media acts to reinforce peoples' views in that the more you like something the more of it you see and unless you seek out contrary viewpoints you end up sharing with those who believe the same.

Precisely - I recommended it to one of my colleagues recently, for that exact reason... there have been various studies on how groups of exclusively like minded individuals will allow for more extreme mind-sets to develop & over time the group itself can diverge from the mainstream *cough*

The history of our involvement in the Middle East & the extent of the mis-handling of the situation, time after time after time, ad nauseam & crazy little details of how the Cold War turned Afghanistan's soil to poppy cultivation (crackers, eh?) it's mandatory viewing imho

esto tambien pasara.

818571fcd8cf9a4f29f982fb45c59172.jpg

Okay, so after reading a few of the above comments, thought I'd check out the hype train myself surrounding Adam Curtis' new film HyperNormalisation.

First off, it's...looong at 2 hrs 46 mins for a documentary imo. Some interesting views/facts.

Plenty of food for thought.

That's probably just doubled my lifetimes viewing of politics in one documentary, lol!

Available via BBC iPlayer for anyone that missed it and wishes to check it out.

20e499ecc6b62f9249aeb987d65c99fb.jpg

I wasn't going to bother with this but just seen it's currently got a Metascore of 82/100 and imdb of 8.5/10 so it's now got my attention. One review on there said it's one of the years best movies and it's this generations Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Very high praise indeed.

Would you say it's worth going to the cinema to see this?

I saw this movie on Sunday and generally liked it. It raises enough curious issues about the nature of time that I spent hours on the IMDB forum to figure out some things I missed. It's a more cerebral, almost trippy experience than the Martian's listening to the radio while cruising in a Mars Rover.

The special effects were poor and the sound was muddy when they said some crucial bits of dialogue . You'd be OK watching this at home.

The special effects were poor

I felt a major point was not to go down the extremity tedious hollywood special effect style that so many sci fi films have done lately and keep it lo if and a bit gritty.

d3ac3b905ac14b1d75a77727b200c84b.jpg

First we had The Fifth Estate, the story of WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange (played by Benedict Cumberbatch) and now Oliver Stone brings us the 'based on a true story' of Edward Snowden.

As with The Fifth Estate, I knew very little about Julian Assange and the same applies to Edward Snowden, so if the movies are indeed based on facts then I've learned something about both men.

Found both movies entertaining. This has far more recognisable actors as you would expect with the draw of being in an Oliver Stone movie.

Has anyone here read either of these books which the film was based on:

The Snowden Files: The Inside Story of the World's Most Wanted Man by Luke Harding

The Time of the Octopus by Anatoly Kucherena

815f6bda9b86361d075453ed1c16e279.jpg

d0b9bf09b733b83941c8cc31fcf07cfa.jpg

After Laura Poitras received encrypted emails from someone with information on the government's massive covert-surveillance programs, she and reporter Glenn Greenwald flew to Hong Kong to meet the sender, who turned out to be Edward Snowden.

Thought this would be an ideal time to watch this documentary which has been in my 'to watch' pile for a while now.

Not surprisingly this actually revealed a lot less about Snowden's life than Oliver Stone's movie. Instead going into great detail about the interviews leading up to the big media story that broke in June 2013.

An eyebrow raiser for sure regarding ones privacy in this internet age.

Gets a Metascore of 88/100. Also Oscar winner for Best Documentary 2015.

Edited by DoubleShot

1603ffb12787f448e97c6f42a81bc856.jpg

Suicide Squad Extended Cut which includes an extra 11 minutes of footage, probably less than most fans had hoped for?

Watched the theatrical cut in digital IMAX 3D on release and enjoyed it. The critics panned it yet it went onto being a big hit at the box office. Go figure, lol!

David Ayer did come out and state that the theatrical cut was the version he wanted released, think of it as the directors cut and that an extended cut would be released later. That is exactly what this is. Not an ultimate cut or anything else. A couple of the scenes explain some back stories a bit better such as the relationship between Dr Quinzel/Harley Quinn and Joker. But most of the others are far shorter and might not even get noticed on first viewing.

There's around 17 changes in total as mentioned in detail here.

31e0ebdc7dce17ca2ca5ab174e2715d7.jpg

A double-bill of movies that may well have passed me by had it not been for earlier comments by the forums very own high-Metascore movie watcher extraordinaire aaronb.

8b1239a88f088ccbfd722fa5541f7b55.jpg

Based on the novel, Fingersmith by Sarah Waters, Chan-wook Park the director of Oldboy (original 2003 version) brings us another masterpiece.

Story has a good twist and fans of some of some of his earlier work such as Oldboy won't be disappointed with the finale.

Some of the outdoor scenes are beautifully shot and look superb on the Blu-Ray release.

Gets a 84/100 Metascore.

4a3692b420705b1561075f19e096e2e1.png

Next up a movie I had neither heard of nor planned to watch, in fact I dismissed it from the poster alone until aaronb posted about it!

01aeafe9ba95c7ee0a250d88e0c4dfab.jpg

A very different looking Chris Pine and once again Ben Foster playing another shady character. This is one slow boiler of a movie. Despite being only 1 hour 42 mins in length, this seemed longer than The Handmaiden which was 2 hours 24 mins!

As mentioned by aaronb, some good dialogue throughout and a pretty good movie imo. One of the best of the year...not sure about that. Gets a very high 88/100 Metascore.

Lately I've watched and disagreed with more than a few movies that have received mid to high 80's Metascores. Guess it comes down to expectations/hype. Movies that have received very average or even woeful Metascores have actually turned out entertaining, ha ha.

Watched Snowden last night and enjoyed it. Stone loves making these kinda films, showing a government in an unflattering light. Good performances by most but why the hell was Cage in it, or even the character..... most pointless character in the film.

Not sure how in the hell I missed this 3 years ago, probably because I don't read mainstream media but missed the story completely and still don't know all the details.This story, even though it's been hollywoodified ( haha), is possibly one of the scariest things our modern life brings.....

Watch this and then see if you can look at your tech the same way

I just watched "Band of Brothers" after my friends and work colleagues were bugging me to watch it for ages. I must say it is the best thing I have watched in a long long time.

I just watched "Band of Brothers" after my friends and work colleagues were bugging me to watch it for ages. I must say it is the best thing I have watched in a long long time.

The pacific is the second part, not as good though but worth a watch.

Twitter @Froggystyle

Just finished watching Sully...... truly exceptional. Shot beautifully, acted brilliantly and what a story. For any man or woman to be thrust into that and be so calm and face everything as they did puts faith in humanity.

Clint has done a brilliant job on this film, if he could have played the lead role I think he would have, and hanks is great at portraying Sully with his stoic look and calming temperament. Defo worth a watch

ef4b69eb34cf0b30044a8a285ede71da.jpg

Ben-Hur (2016 remake).

Trailers did not look good and nor was the movie.

With one or two exceptions, poor cast and some woeful acting.

Bombed at the box office, only took $26m in the U.S. despite costing $100m!

When will Hollywood learn?!