I have a Gaggia new baby. And using Lavazza Rossa coffee, pre ground as I work full time. What would be the required amount for one black americano? My filter basket I believe is double it has a number 12 at the bottom. I never fill it to the top I use about 1 and a quarter aeropress scoops which is just under, as if I go to extract the coffee filled to the top it doesnt come out well. After the extraction which I take 23 seconds using two shot glasses, I take the portafilter out and there is a little water inside. Should the finished coffee be completely dry?

Cheers

Garry

The size of your basket governs how much coffee you should put in it, not what you want the output to be. i.e. if you have a double basket fit for say 15g, then that's what you have to put in it. Putting in less than a full dose of coffee will result in too fast an extraction and some bad tastes.

I'm not sure what the baby's are designed to hold in their baskets, but as a general rule, fill it up to overflowing with grounds, tap a few times to distribute the grounds, strike off with your finger or knife etc. so it's level with the rim of the basket, then tamp it down to usually around 8mm or so down from the top of the basket rim. This should give enough headroom to the shower screen. Lock and load and pull. This should give you a double if you've got a double basket. When making Americano's fill your mug with boiling water first then pull the double shot into the water - that way you should retain some crema on the surface of the coffee.

Quickmill Andreja Premium---Eric's E61 Thermometer---Eureka Mignon---MBK 58.35mm---Grindenstein

Mine did.

Ian

Minima ma ma ma Eureka Zenith

It does have a 3 way solenoid, but no adjustable opv though :-(

Have you been backflushing it regularly, it helps to keep the valve working properly?

Edited by simon333

Fracino Ariete (Classico), Wood Handles, opv 9 bar - Mazzer Royal inc.Titanium Burrs T151B ,Funnel mod + powder coat in progress - Mazzer Super Jolly inc. Cleen sweep doser, new paint job !  - Rancilio Silvia inc. MeCoffee PID, IMS Shower Screen, Silicone Group Head, opv to 9 bar - Gaggia Classic, Silicone Group Head, Rancilio steam arm, opv 9 bar + Other stuff !