garydyke1

Ek43 Exploring new brewed ratios ....

Something occurred to me today. Humour me.....

Conventional espresso 1.6 ratio say 20g->32g yield

Conventional filter 60g per litre 1000g say 30g->500g used

EK espresso 2.0-2.5 ratio say 20g->40-50g

EK filter .................erm.

Shouldn't we look to revisit grams per litre now.

Think its time to look to 50g per litre chemex and see how much sweetness and clarity we can push for :cool:

edit moved from ek boffin thread

Edited by Mrboots2u

@garydyke1

Think its time to look to 50g per litre chemex and see how much sweetness and clarity we can push for :cool:

Makes perfect sense...*IF* you have a grinder & brewer with a geometry that will let you get to 23/24%EY (I don't)...may be tricky with a big dose in a Chemex? I have had a few permanent filter pourover brews that were surprisingly tasty beyond 22%, including a 23.7% Kone brew...but these may be more of an acquired taste compared to 18.5-21% brews.

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

I have had a few permanent filter pourover brews that were surprisingly tasty beyond 22%, including a 23.7% Kone brew...but these may be more of an acquired taste compared to 18.5-21% brews.

taunt me why dont you with your kone skills.

Im drinking a 23.5 % v60 at moment ...bit bitter...

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

taunt me why dont you with your kone skills.

Im drinking a 23.5 % v60 at moment ...bit bitter...

It was just the 1, note I said "a" :-)

Don't look at the bed when you have finished, that's the secret to happy Kone brewing.

I've never really got much past 21% with a good tasting paper filtered pourover, and those were at small doses.

It was just the 1, note I said "a" :-)

Don't look at the bed when you have finished, that's the secret to happy Kone brewing.

I've never really got much past 21% with a good tasting paper filtered pourover, and those were at small doses.

Dont look at eh bed... or taste the cup , or put in a refract....:(

Instagram - rjw_inc

Something occurred to me today. Humour me.....

Conventional espresso 1.6 ratio say 20g->32g yield

Conventional filter 60g per litre 1000g say 30g->500g used

EK espresso 2.0-2.5 ratio say 20g->40-50g

EK filter .................erm.

Shouldn't we look to revisit grams per litre now.

ok so your just premise is to start for a target of 21 ey?

keep pushing the tds to increase EY and keep brew ratio the same?

Instagram - rjw_inc

I have no premise , just think I've opened pandoras box on EK pour over .......

@garydyke1

More variables... This is going to hurt my head, I can tell...

DE1Pro, EK43 SSP, bloody tasty coffee!

GrindScience.com - My blog of coffee related ramblings

Someone in a white coat work it out then just tell me what to do.

Keeping brew ratio the same would probably make for a very pungent cup (well over 1.40%TDS)...if you were achieving a high EY, pulling the brew ratio down may make the cup less challenging, e.g. 52g/l (19.23:1) would be a pourover equivalent of Perger's coffee shot...Gary's suggested 50g/l (20:1) ratio would pull the TDS down a shade more, to more typical Chemex friendly TDS...if you can keep the extraction even enough & if the paper filter will allow it to still taste good.

So attempt 1. ''Grind finer, extract more, from less''

Loayza. 3fe dial 6.5 (!)

25g/500g. Bloom-then-all-in-one technique. 80% roastery 20% clear view

Bloom with 60g, stir with mini whisk for 5 seconds, leave to 30 sec mark, water all in by 1min 50. Final drips 5min 6 seconds (!) This brew choked at the end and it took nearly 1 min for the final 50ml to come through. Based on watching how the brew behaved alone - If I were to repeat this I would try a grind of 7 or 7.5, the coffee is fairly stale by my standards; a roast fresh coffee would work with 6.5 or even 6. ...... BUT

A revelation!!!! I think the TDS is still a shade to much, too much body at 50g per litre? madness

Clean , sweet, clarity and separation of flavours, glugable . Easily the best chemex I have made with this already amazing coffee.

On to a winner here chaps! On reflection I might not touch the grind but drop the dose to 24g

Edited by garydyke1

@garydyke1

Loayza. 3fe dial 6.5 (!)

Bloom with 60g, stir with mini whisk for 5 seconds, leave to 30 sec mark, water all in by 1min 50. Final drips 5min 6 seconds (!) This brew choked at the end and it took nearly 1 min for the final 50ml to come through. Based on watching how the brew behaved alone - If I were to repeat this I would try a grind of 7 or 7.5, the coffee is fairly stale by my standards; a roast fresh coffee would work with 6.5 or even 6. ...... BUT

A revelation!!!! I think the TDS is still a shade to much, too much body at 50g per litre? madness

Clean , sweet, clarity and separation of flavours, glugable . Easily the best chemex I have made with this already amazing coffee.

On to a winner here chaps! On reflection I might not touch the grind but drop the dose to 24g

how long is the 60 g taking to go n ? 5 seconds say ?

Instagram - rjw_inc

Errrrrr Didn't lots of evil things come out of Pandora's box?

Plus hope obviously ;-)

There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Manic Obsession"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expobar Brewtus DB, Mazzer SJ, Sowden, V60, Aeropress and all sorts

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently enjoying LSOL

Loayza. 3fe dial 6.5 (!) ) ( equates to 5.5 callum dial & 10 on stock original dial )

Look forward to trying this shortly!

Just a note that the conversion to stock dial in the post isn't right, should be around 3.8?

Final drips 5min 6 seconds (!) This brew choked at the end and it took nearly 1 min for the final 50ml to come through. Based on watching how the brew behaved alone - If I were to repeat this I would try a grind of 7 or 7.5, the coffee is fairly stale by my standards; a roast fresh coffee would work with 6.5 or even 6. ...... BUT

Have you tried a V60 paper, tighter weave, less prone to clogging?

Loayza. 3fe dial 6.5 (!)

Ok, tried this recipe (albeit with the 1st edition coffee burrs). It's certainly clean, I would say that it's both slightly sweeter and bitter at the same time. It lacks the creamy body that I was getting previously, although the coffee is getting on a bit and I've not chemex'd it for a while. I stirred with a spoon and the coffee bed wasn't very even when it emptied after 4 mins pretty much on the nose. In the bed it looked like a wormhole so it made me wonder if we've switched from pour over to immersion with a draw down (via said wormhole). Really enjoyed the sweetness just need to work on the body which will hopefully come from adding a little bit more calcium to the water.

In the bed it looked like a wormhole so it made me wonder if we've switched from pour over to immersion with a draw down (via said wormhole).

The wormhole is perhaps a result of concentrating the pour in the middle of the bed?

It's still a pourover, there may be aspects of immersion within it, but it's not an immersion brew (all water & coffee held together & not flowing through the bed), lots of methods have a little overlap, but not enough to change the mechanism.

Ok, tried this recipe (albeit with the 1st edition coffee burrs). It's certainly clean, I would say that it's both slightly sweeter and bitter at the same time. It lacks the creamy body that I was getting previously, although the coffee is getting on a bit and I've not chemex'd it for a while. I stirred with a spoon and the coffee bed wasn't very even when it emptied after 4 mins pretty much on the nose. In the bed it looked like a wormhole so it made me wonder if we've switched from pour over to immersion with a draw down (via said wormhole). Really enjoyed the sweetness just need to work on the body which will hopefully come from adding a little bit more calcium to the water.

Mine had zero bitterness, hence me thinking i can get more, dropping the dose further

@garydyke1

and not forgetting to finish around the outside to wash the slurry back into the middle.

no high and dry!

@garydyke1

Right Chemex

Method - dyke 2

Coffee - last of the La Loyaza

Ek callum Dial 5.5 Temp 96c ( water temp on the kettle really drop in long pour though )

25g >500g

50 g bloom - three stirs mini whisk for 30 seconds

All water in by 1.53...

Bed Dry by 4.28 ( didn't choke )

I poured mostly in the middle , i dunno know , apart from the end when i went round the edges. Bed a little uneven and a few grind high and dry

TDS 1.24 Bev Weight 455g EY = 23.51%

I get spences bitter and acidic comment

Im not sure this the best coffee to try this with as it was a rollercasoter in the cup between lime cherry and chocolate anyway .....

So its got that fight going on or change in taste as it cool more so than other coffees.

Perhaps try it this week IMM?

Instagram - rjw_inc

I poured mostly in the middle , i dunno know , apart from the end when i went round the edges.

Try starting central - outwards - back to central - outwards. Hard to explain without a video.

Wish Id had a refrac to hand because the TDS of my brew was definitely mid to late 1.2's

nb. Not sure I would want to use this ratio with a poorer water

@garydyke1

Try starting central - outwards - back to central - outwards. Hard to explain without a video.

Wish Id had a refrac to hand because the TDS of my brew was definitely mid to late 1.2's

nb. Not sure I would want to use this ratio with a poorer water

Fair point with water...

I think ill try and get to higher EY in my own way and technique and report back

Using Volvic btw....

Instagram - rjw_inc

So attempt 2. ''It wasn't a fluke''

Vilca Natural. 3fe dial 6.5

24.75g/500g. Bloom-then-all-in-one technique. 75% roastery 25% clear view (want a touch less body)

Bloom with 60g, stir with mini whisk for 5 seconds, leave to 30 sec mark, water all in by 1min 35. Final drips 4min 40 seconds. This brew again choked at the end and it took 50 sec for the final 75ml to come through.

TDS guess 1.27-1.28 ish

Lush! Im finding these lower dosed, more throughly extracted chemexes much easier drinking. Again no bitterness : )

Probably the most balanced brew I have had with this coffee. Bolivia chocolatey notes apparent , even walnut on the finish. More depth and layers of flavour have been unlocked. Previously its all been cherry acidity and almond sweetness, with a shoulder of blackcurrant.

Christ the caffeine in Vilca's coffees this year , its potent stuff!

@garydyke1