Maybe it was a daft question but i was just conscious of trying not to disturb what the grinder had produced. Maybe i can just level off and use the top of the basket as a guide. It looks like this method will give a 16g dose whereas when i grind 16g into a cup and tip this into the basket the level is lower and i've probably got poor distribution. I think straight into the basket gives me better distribution. I'll work on my grinder into basket technique.

ECM Technika IV Profi (WT-WC), ECM S-Automatik 64, Aeropress, Aergrind

I struggle to get an even amount of coffee out of the grinder always seem to end up with a small mound in the middle,no matter how i rotate the basket or move it when the coffee is coming out.

I try not to tap or move the finished grind around too much which,just tamp onto whats been distributed .

Maybe practice or as you say a 2K grinder helps.

L1 & E10

It's finally here! How to put the PF into the machine!

From what I can see the time appears to be 'hit go and get the cup under before the spro hits the tray!'

I don't think I'd taste the difference between locking the PF in ten seconds too early. But it looks to me as if this guy is really looking to provide a streamlined best practice workflow example for baristas working in busy shops. My initial thought before watching the video was 'how can you make a video about locking a pf in?' but I see what he's doing and realise that maybe half of what he talks about relates to a domestic situation.

I'm by a long chalk no expert and will probably watch the others to see if there's useful tips for me in there. But FWIW I have tried all the faffing around style prep but now I have the zenith I get better results grinding straight in to the basket, a light tap on the mat just to level the mound a little bit and then tamping straight down seems to give the best and most consistent result. I do still get it wrong sometimes but by and large I think less is more.

Edited by hotmetal

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Jeez....I'm sure that he makes a decent coffee, but he doesn't half come across as a bit of plonker. A face and a set of mannerisms that you'd never tire of slapping.

"Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines. "

General Buck Turgidson

My Website

Well easy if you have a Mythos One or even a k30 paired with a very forgiving Aurelia, these two grinders do an excellent job distributing the grind, even if you don't move the portafilter around. But all other I have been playing with either deliver a huge pile in the middle or one of the sides, meaning you have to move them around allot, unfortunately you need to have a quick hand in those 2-4sec. it takes to grind a 18g dose

so messing with the grind is quite often a necessary practice, I have to admit I do it allot, and although I do believe he has a valid point, it is not that easy without his equipment, I would love him to state the same with less forgiving equipment.

the place the pf. in the group part is just silly, seriously unless your using way to much force, there is no way you going to crack the puck, I have never seen channeling if I accidental hit the brew head, and I guess you'll need a gasket that is not to thick or you'll need to use too much force too!

Coffee: Ek - Feldgrind- Brewista Kettle - Bonavita Scale - Hario V60 - Kalita Wave - FRVD Moka Pot - Sowden

I've watched a lot of videos on youtube and in many of them the portafilter is clattered into the brewhead. I've often thought, whats that doing to the puck, especially if you tamp lightly.

i think he is probably right.

ECM Technika IV Profi (WT-WC), ECM S-Automatik 64, Aeropress, Aergrind