Glenn

What method do you use to make coffee at work?

What method do you use to make coffee at work?  

356 members have voted

1. 1. What method do you use to make coffee at work?

• Instant Coffee
    • Vending Machine
    • Brewed Coffee (French Press/V60/Kalita/Chemex/Sowden etc)
    • Aeropress
    • Espresso Machine
    • Nespresso Machine (or similar capsule machine)
    • Other (please describe below)

I like my Smartcafe Cafetiere Hot Mug for work use. We're limited to pre-ground supermarket coffee in the office so there's not much point in investing in anything fancy, I just wish I could get one made out of glass/ceramic rather than plastic.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smartcafe-Cafetiere-Hot-Graphite-Grey/dp/B0007MTNGS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1430902084&sr=8-4&keywords=smartcafe

I'm now using a Gaggia Classic, which I was fortunate enough to be given for free. It's going down well with the guys and girls at work.

Tempted to take my Syphon in too. That'll get people interested.

I used to make all sorts at my desk, from siphon to pour over until the use of personal appliances was banned.

The only water I can get now is from a thermoblock vending machine in 100ml quantities at 80c.

My coffee making days in the office are over and now I just make whatever I feel like at home into a thermos.

Aeropress and hario mini. Nobody in the office understands.

eb8d188624cdda181a935a019b857f54.jpg

Genuinely jealous of you guys with decent espresso machines at work though. If I ever upgrade the classic, it's being transferred to the office!

Sage DTP / Mazzer Super Jolly / Custom Torr Trapez Convex 53.5

V60 (x3) / Hario Mini Mill

Occasionally I use my aeropress but have to compromise and grind before I leave the house as I don't have a hand grinder.

Other than that no coffee at work, our bean to cup machine we have for customers is worse than instant.

I work from home, but I love my stovetop espresso maker the best, got it after my machine broke and would not go back!

i have a very similar setup at work here, think probably most people have, but we have a kitchen area (a glorified cupboard!) and im going to upgrade to an espresso machine soon i think. really step up the coffee production hehe

IMG_0175.jpg

Very possibly maybe a whole plethora of titan grinders and machines by the end of the year. For now, just PBs and M1s.

'it's all about the microbubbubbles'

Very possibly maybe a whole plethora of titan grinders and machines by the end of the year. For now, just PBs and M1s.

You gonna be working at other places? :)

Beans, beans the musical fruit, the more you drink, the more you... *tremors uncontrollably* 😬 

Nope. We are crowdfunding a roastery at the moment. It will be fitted with the absolute best kit that money can buy.

Nope. We are crowdfunding a roastery at the moment. It will be fitted with the absolute best kit that money can buy.

I saw that via Instagram and grindbond.com

£266k raised of £750k in the first day is pretty promising!!

Must be quite exciting to be part of the team! I've yet to visit a Grind but will endeavour on my next trip t'Big Smoke.

:)

Beans, beans the musical fruit, the more you drink, the more you... *tremors uncontrollably* 😬 

I saw that via Instagram and grindbond.com

£266k raised of £750k in the first day is pretty promising!!

Must be quite exciting to be part of the team! I've yet to visit a Grind but will endeavour on my next trip t'Big Smoke.

:)

Yeah its getting pretty tasty! Expansion is absolutely happening and I'm glad that I joined at such an early stage so I can be part of it. Who knows what's next?!!!

I've recently been using my Syphon maker at work. People seem to enjoy the coffee and don't feel the need to put sugar in!

Everyone is fascinated by it and a few people are thinking about getting there own.

Strangely there's a few people who still grab a jar of instant.

Yeah its getting pretty tasty! Expansion is absolutely happening and I'm glad that I joined at such an early stage so I can be part of it. Who knows what's next?!!!

The posters at every station in London (over exaggeration- but even my lowly catford had one) must have been a big help...

I originally bought my Aeropress to make coffee at work - that was going to be my nice and simple solution (grind with a little Hario hand grinder). Then I realized that most methods to brewing coffee are actually quite messy, and if you want to actually do it in an office without a sink, it's a royal pain. This led me down a road to using an espresso machine at work, which has now evolved into having a lever machine (L1) and hand grinder (HG1) in my office - so from a little plastic press and tiny grinder to a massive (and expensive) set of kit! But I drink 90% of my coffee at work, and at home I use an Aeropress (or sneek a drink off of my wife's nespresso machine if I am being lazy)

I use the v60 001 now. Straight into the cup, no mess. Prefer the coffee over the aeropress too.

Sage DTP / Mazzer Super Jolly / Custom Torr Trapez Convex 53.5

V60 (x3) / Hario Mini Mill

i have a SmartCafe cup which ill use mid-morning. ill sometimes have an awful instant cup in the afternoon.

We have a couple of nespresso/tassimo machines though in our kitchen and im not sure who they are owned by (whether they are for general use or they belong to someone), might investigate them further.

we also have a Costa machine in our large coffee area but detest paying £2 for it.

After a long stint of Aeropress I'm back on the V60s now with a faff free method -

- Bloom and agitate with a teaspoon handle for 30-40 seconds with 1/4 of total brew water.

- Add the rest of the water in one go, then whisk clockwise with handle of teaspoon.

- Lift and drop the dripper like an RKO (maybe less violent), whisk again.

- Go for a wee!

I guess this method is somewhere between Perger's V60 and the Garymex, been using it for months now (maybe over a year?) with great results every time.

Also using a 20oz pitcher to decant into if sharing a 500g brew and a Kilo Stainless Steel Oil Can instead of a massive Buono - compact and great for camping!

Wow you guys have a really passion for good coffee at work! I'm impressed.....we just have a huge tin of gold blend bought from the stationers and a manky water heater in the kitchenette place (Regus managed offices...no expense spared obviously).

Would love to try a simple set up to make espresso at work! But I do worry about the mess and the faff of it all....

My current work setup: modded Classic and Auber timer controlled Mazzer Royal. Torr tamper, knock box etc.

Makes reasonable espresso for work...

5d1d36b8b42134a8f6db3deef275716f.jpg

Lots of everything: machines, grinders, roaster, beans, tampers, baskets, blah, blah

However - Too much is never enough!

That's a fancy set up for work....what's the box on the right hand side (as you look at pic)

What's the point...it'll only change soon!

That's a fancy set up for work....what's the box on the right hand side (as you look at pic)

That's the external Auber timer for the Royal - with single shot, double shot and purge buttons on the top. Works very well, as Auber controlled Mazzers do.

Just realised that you may mean "the right hand side" of the Classic... Which is an automatic shot timer. Set it to a time in the 99.9s format (so 28.5s for example - or anything from 00.1s to 99.9s) and then flick the brew switch - and the classic will run for that amount of time and then stop (as if you'd flicked the brew switch off). Switching the brew switch off resets it. Works really nicely.

In this photo it's set to 35.0s, which you may think is a little long - except for the fact that the dimmer switch (beneath the timer box / behind the tamper) is pressure profiling, and I normally have it set to pour at around 6 bar with a slow ramp up to it.... Hence 35s pour.

Edited by MrShades

Lots of everything: machines, grinders, roaster, beans, tampers, baskets, blah, blah

However - Too much is never enough!