fatboyslim

Has Bean Golden Ticket SSSS

What recipe are you using at the minute?

Vac pot was a bit thin and plain, though not bad. Just ordinary. The clever coffe dripper added body but not much to the profile.

Might be be my grind which was 1.7 on the hausgrind

Vac pot was a bit thin and plain, though not bad. Just ordinary. The clever coffe dripper added body but not much to the profile.

Might be be my grind which was 1.7 on the hausgrind

I don't have a Hausgrind but on my Lido 1 (same burrs) I'd be at half a turn out, give or take, from zero (zero being constant rub, 1/4 turn out being the tightest setting with no sign of intermittent whisper) for Clever, try around 3/4 to a turn out for vac pot?

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Not when nine on the haus is espresso territory.... And nine is 3/4 of a turn of a clock face. They aren't comparable.

Not when nine on the haus is espresso territory.... And nine is 3/4 of a turn of a clock face. They aren't comparable.

I purposely didn't use numbers, but degrees from burr rub...but these directions are between OE suggested espresso settings for the Clever, and just a bit coarser for vac pot. I have had good tasting Clevers just off first signs of burr rub, putting water in first (though I normally have Swissgold as well as paper filter).

Do you know what the pitch adjustment thread is on the Hausgrind, if both are aligned, should be comparable to the Lido1 (0.8mm pitch thread) at a similar burr gap.

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Bit underwhelmed with mine so far. Bland.

Maybe I haven't nailed the recipe?

I feel the same. Walking away from it for a few days and gonna enjoy something else in the meantime.

Finca La Estrella

3-6 cup Chemex, 30g, 500ml Clearview @ 94degC, 75ml bloom for 30s, rest then poured in over 1:20, finished at 4:15

For me, taste wise the descriptors are there but they're a delicate bunch. Starts off more caramel with some pear, along comes the black grape, with it finishing off with walnut and back to the caramel. I get the feeling with this one that being a little off somewhere on the recipe will really kill the almost delicate acidity which gives it that other dimension

Mine still hasn't arrived :( Bloody international postage

I'm wondering if my sense of smell hasn't fully returned from my cold, but post grinding I'm getting almost a oxo cube smell from the grounds....

Either that, or my brain has gone completely and I've just ground an oxo cube.

If I stop drinking the coffee, I stop doing the standing and the walking and the words-into-sentences putting.

"Seriously, going to Starbucks for coffee is like going to prison for sex. You'll get it, but it's going to be rough" - Adam Hills

Didn't get any oxo cube when grinding mine, is your grinder due a clean?

@garydyke1

Had this today, I get nuts and coffee when I grind it, no oxo.

DE1Pro, EK43 SSP, bloody tasty coffee!

GrindScience.com - My blog of coffee related ramblings

Didn't get any oxo cube when grinding mine, is your grinder due a clean?

Not really. Was stripped and deep cleaned just after new year. May pull the top tomorrow and have a peek inside. Got a mini air compressor which will help now.

If I stop drinking the coffee, I stop doing the standing and the walking and the words-into-sentences putting.

"Seriously, going to Starbucks for coffee is like going to prison for sex. You'll get it, but it's going to be rough" - Adam Hills

Had the first try of this today as a long black. Grind was a bit too tight but I gave it a try anyway.

Had a gentle acidity and leather notes. Really enjoyed the coffee but will get a better idea of flavours tomorrow when I pull a better shot

Edit: and no hints of oxo or any other beef flavoured stock cubes in mine

a grinder a lever and some beans

I wouldn't say I've had any bad coffees from this bag but I get what people have said about feeling underwhelmed. First few (brews and espressos) were a bit one-dimensional - slackened the grind off and all the nuts and fruit came out. The last few shots have been top notch!

Expobar DB PID, OE Pharos, OE Lido & Torr 58.4 plan2convex

This mornings coffee was a much better shot

Very easy drinking. The acidity has tamed down today - getting more sweetness and walnuts aplenty

a grinder a lever and some beans

Yes too late. I was advised there is none of this Bolivian left! Mine finally arrived 9 days after roast! Bloody Spanish postal service. First brew was tasty but was just a glimpse of what it could taste like if properly extracted. Totally yummy walnut with a gentle grape acidity. Has Bean are great :-)

After a few days of this (I've been away! Bad timing), in my Espro pot, it's good, but I don't find it tremendously forgiving. Most beans seem to make little difference one or two grams up or down (for 300ml or so). My base line is 15g/300ml (5 minutes extraction) and I overpoured to 17g yesterday, and I can definitely see where Oxo cubes came from with that one. There was definitely an unpleasant salty, meaty aftertaste to it. But that's no bad thing- coffee lasts longer if you use less per cup. On 14/15g I'm getting a sweetness I can't quite specify, it's bright, with a strong nutty aftertaste. It's very drinkable.

This coffee is still tasty despite being pretty old and despite taking 2 weeks to get to Spain....Correo....puta!

Really looking forward to the next bag but hope it arrives sooner -_-

So we know what the general date in the month we will get this coffee. I think it was about 5th January so assume it is always going to be early in the month?

GS3 and Versalab M3; Vario Home, Aeropress and Kalita Wave

Delivery should be Saturday :good:

The coffee is sublime , really interesting flavour profile IMO and delicious

@garydyke1

Delivery should be Saturday :good:

The coffee is sublime , really interesting flavour profile IMO and delicious

Saturday +10 days for me :(

Saturday +10 days for me :(

Move somewhere more sensible :p

@garydyke1

Move somewhere more sensible :p

Or get a girlfriend of different nationality? Not hardly! Can't wait to be back in UK for super fresh beans!

Last months beans seemed underwhelming...

but have grown on me as the subtleties come out. I really enjoy it now and sad to have run out.

Edited by Steve7

I didn't get to the Bolivian until just over a week ago and have been enjoying it very much as an espresso and different brewed methods - Sowden and Cores gold filter mug, and my wife has been enjoying it as the basis for a flat white. The espresso has been wonderfully intense and complex while brewed, I agree that there's lots of subtle flavours in there. In one cup, I swear that I could taste the flowering tips from the bush from whence the beans came. I was concerned that I might have left the beans a bit too long - but by the sound of it they age (within reason) well. Looking forward very much to the next SSS.:act-up: