Messy Spitting gaggia classic

Hello, why are there so many small fiddly parts that are easy to lose on the Gaggia Classic? Anyone know where I can buy a replacement Perfect crema device (the tiny black moulding that sits in the filter holder). Thanks

Best thing I ever did was bin the "perfect crema device" and get a standard basket.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had the same thing happen, press the coffee button and shortly followed by coffee firing out of the side of the machine :D (Using the pressurized basket WITHOUT the pin....) I since got a pin and its fine, but will be buying a regular basket next week. White walls and coffee shooting = a stressful few moments though :p

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Another big Thank You to everyone who wrote advice in this thread!

I've been using a Moka pot for years but wanted a Gaggia Classic for an age.

Been in my nice rented cottage for 2 days and I bought myself a Classic as a moving in present.

Didn't know about the pressurised basket and sprayed the whitewashed kitchen with lovely Illy )c;

Happy Donkey have sorted me out with a standard basket and now I just need to find some whitewash...

ATB

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Mine does exactly the same I had 3 months good use with the odd moment now it seems unless I use the machine first time the thermostat light comes on (normally in the morning in a rush) it will spray either the pressure is too high or the thermostat cuts at too higher temperature. If I leave on to heat up for 10 mins I will have to wash the walls and my toaster. I have tried with and without so called cream device used fresh beans properly ground and tamped but there does seem to be an issue with my machine that was not there when I first got it.

• 2 months later...

guess i was right blaming the pressurized basket then, i got mine today and the first shot i attempted peppered the entire kitchen with espresso and kicked out about a full shot of crema, for now ive found tamping it hard as hell seems to do the trick to stop the prob for now until i can get a non pressurized basket or bottomless pf, unless i can use the basket from the dead carezza

My Equipment: Machine - Home: Fiamma Latina 1 Work: Gaggia Classic (rancilio mod) Grinder - Home: Mazzer Super Jolly Work: Cuisinart burr grinder, Tamper - Reg Barber 58mm Copper base tamper

Looks like my Mum is having the same problem with her Gaggia Pure. I am going to buy a new tamper and non pressurized filter basket and i hope it helps her. Some great info from all the posts here so thanks to everyone.

well after a bit of messing about it works ok as long as you have the plastic pin in, but i decided to bite the bullet and chuck the carezza basket in which is not pressurized and its now pulling absolutely beautiful shots so its definitely the basket at fault, ive got a new standard non pressurized one on the way from coffee hit but i may upgrade to a VST soon

My Equipment: Machine - Home: Fiamma Latina 1 Work: Gaggia Classic (rancilio mod) Grinder - Home: Mazzer Super Jolly Work: Cuisinart burr grinder, Tamper - Reg Barber 58mm Copper base tamper

• 5 weeks later...
well after a bit of messing about it works ok as long as you have the plastic pin in, but i decided to bite the bullet and chuck the carezza basket in which is not pressurized and its now pulling absolutely beautiful shots so its definitely the basket at fault, ive got a new standard non pressurized one on the way from coffee hit but i may upgrade to a VST soon

Hi

I have recently taken delivery of a Gaggia Esspresso Pure. Worked fine for the first halfdozen shots but then developed the spluttering problem when using either the single basket or the double basket. I've painstakingly read through all the replies on this thread and there seems to be no definitive solution to the problem. I've tried to cure the problem by tamping light and tamping heavy, tapping and not tapping, filling full and half full, flushing .... etc etc. but to no avail. Could the spluttering problem result from a partially/clogged filter? ie Is it possible to clog the internals of the filters if the wrong grind is used?

What is a plastic pin and should I have one with my Gaggia Pure?

What is a VST?

Many thanks

• 3 months later...

thank you so much for this thread. I had an old Gaggia Classic which died. I replaced it and this spitting problem developed yesterday (after about two weeks of daily use).

I have now swapped the baskets with my old machine (it is stained but it works fine!) and the problem is solved.

What on earth were/are Gaggia thinking!!!???? The people who buy this machine are interested in serious coffee!

thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I to bought a 'classic' and had all of the same problems, ie it workrd fine at first but then started sptluttering. On doing some research I found a post that referred to a plastic insert in the bottom of the filter handle, (if you look at your instruction card this is part number 13) Once I had found this piece which I had emptied into the bin when banging out the old coffee it worked fine and has done so ever since - No spluttering and no mess.

It's a mystery as to why these pressurised baskets and crema device is still supplied with the Classic. The evidence over the years has been overwhelming as to how crap it is. It's surely not the machine you would buy to use pods.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by AndyL

Gaggia Selecta Coffee Delux (Rancilio Silvia steam wand mod, OPV and steam valve mod) : Iberital MC2 : Happy Donkey Tamper : Gaggia Bottomless Portafilter :

Favourite coffee/roast is currently BSCA#1 Brazilian Speciality Coffee Association number 1 blend from Two Day Coffee Roasters Bristol :

• 2 months later...

Hello Coffee world. I bought a second hand (but pristine) Gaggia Pure for my Christmas - looking forward to the delights of a great cup of coffee. After setting it up and following the supplied instructions (though they had numbered references to the separate parts - there was no accompanying "exploded" diagram - very annoying) I tamped out some new Espresso coffee and proceeded to spray the kitchen worktop a delicate shade of brown. Had I just bought "a pile of junk?" I thought. Well severall attempts to vary all the possible combinations later I still get spluttering out of the sides of the curved "twin cup" spout.

In despiration I searched the net for answers and I appear to have found it her in this excellent forum.

The unit I gought has the one and two cup filters - each with the very small single hole in the bottom - but no "crema" device!!! I suspect that this had been knocked out into the waste bin at some time without the previous owner realising (after fishing the filters out of the bin) and they had subsequently suffered the "splats". The coffee maker was then confined to the cupboard as a waste of time - untill I came along and they got some of thier money back - and passed the problem on to me.

I now plan to keep the presurised filters (just in case I ever get the pods) and have just purchased a replacement double filter. I am looking forward to experiencing my good cup of coffee in the near future and I will let you know how I get on. I also have a Nesspresso pod machine I will keep for guests - the Gaggia is mine!!!

This is a really interesting thread and answers a number of questions for me.

I've owned a Gaggia Classic for about a year and have been using illy ground coffee up until yesterday. For the most part I have found an acceptable sized shot appears over a 25 second interval until relatively recently. In the past few weeks I've noticed that the shot size is larger than I would have expected during the shot interval while the coffee has remained a constant factor.

Yesterday evening I commissioned my Eureka Mignon grinder and set it up with some pre packaged beans from the super market. I cannot say that taste was brilliant but I wasn't expecting it to be. I did, however, get about the right amount of coffee during the shot interval.

This morning I took the liberty of opening up the starter pack that I bought from Union Roasted and found that my first shot came out beautifully and tasted pretty good (to me at least) as well. A little later, similar coffee amount, same grind setting and I got more coffee in my shot by quite a long way.

The only difference was that, following a finger smoothing of the coffee the tamp the second time wasn't quite as hard as the first time. To my thinking its the tamp which must have been a major contributor. However, in both cases, I was pushing pretty hard with my tamp.

So, having read this thread I took a look at the basket: now, I know I've always had the perfect crema device in there but I have never been sure about what basket was in the original purchase. The pictures some pages back show that I have the pressured basket.

Needless to say, an order has been placed with Happy Donkey so that I can swap it out with a non pressured one.

I've never experienced the coffee equivalent of wall pebble dashing but, if I have understood the thread properly, I hope to see a more consistent result without having to resort to hydraulic pressing of my metal tamper each and every shot.

Presumably, with the non pressurised basket I can remove the perfect crema device, put my coffee it, flatten it with my finger and apply about 30Kg of pressure and see more consistent shot volumes? Is it really necessary to reduce the flow pressure of the unit as well or will it be OK if I am careful?

Many thanks

~~~~~

Ian

Fracino Cherub, Eureka Mignon grinder, empty bank account.

I got the classic at xmas too

at first all was well, and then i had a few coloured walls episodes. I hadnt noticed that the little black pressured crema thing had gotten lost in the sink, and I was making coffee with the pressurised basket without the widget. As soon as i located the widget - and put it back in the PF then we were back to normal again.

Wondered if anyone here had done the same.

I have moved on with the advice of this forum to getting rid of the presurised stuff and already noticed better coffee even with pre ground stuff.

looking forward to testing out what I can do with a grinder soon

This is a really interesting thread and answers a number of questions for me.

I've owned a Gaggia Classic for about a year and have been using illy ground coffee up until yesterday. For the most part I have found an acceptable sized shot appears over a 25 second interval until relatively recently. In the past few weeks I've noticed that the shot size is larger than I would have expected during the shot interval while the coffee has remained a constant factor.

Yesterday evening I commissioned my Eureka Mignon grinder and set it up with some pre packaged beans from the super market. I cannot say that taste was brilliant but I wasn't expecting it to be. I did, however, get about the right amount of coffee during the shot interval.

This morning I took the liberty of opening up the starter pack that I bought from Union Roasted and found that my first shot came out beautifully and tasted pretty good (to me at least) as well. A little later, similar coffee amount, same grind setting and I got more coffee in my shot by quite a long way.

The only difference was that, following a finger smoothing of the coffee the tamp the second time wasn't quite as hard as the first time. To my thinking its the tamp which must have been a major contributor. However, in both cases, I was pushing pretty hard with my tamp.

So, having read this thread I took a look at the basket: now, I know I've always had the perfect crema device in there but I have never been sure about what basket was in the original purchase. The pictures some pages back show that I have the pressured basket.

Needless to say, an order has been placed with Happy Donkey so that I can swap it out with a non pressured one.

I've never experienced the coffee equivalent of wall pebble dashing but, if I have understood the thread properly, I hope to see a more consistent result without having to resort to hydraulic pressing of my metal tamper each and every shot.

Presumably, with the non pressurised basket I can remove the perfect crema device, put my coffee it, flatten it with my finger and apply about 30Kg of pressure and see more consistent shot volumes? Is it really necessary to reduce the flow pressure of the unit as well or will it be OK if I am careful?

Many thanks

yes you can lose the little device now!!

So... guys, just to recap: what's better to do to deal with this awful issue? I'm waiting for my Gaggia Classic to arrive and I hope at least on of the three baskets (as sold in the italian market) will behave like they should. Alternatively, I'll purchase a 15gr VST one...

And... since this thread started at least two years by now, did Gaggia update its datasheets/bill of material or even the box content in the meantime? Is there someone who bought the Classic one recently who can tell us?

I wouldn't be disappointed from the coffee machine and its brand before I got it. Also because before reading this thread, firstly I read those in which Gaggia Classic is celebrated like an historical coffee machine icon. ;)

Bye!

If it helps - my Gaggia came from Amazon UK about a year ago. It came with the pressurised basket and the single shot basket (also pressurised). Having woken up recently I changed over the Gaggia wand and fluff maker for a Rancilio steam wand yesterday and my non pressurised basket should arrive today.

~~~~~

Ian

Fracino Cherub, Eureka Mignon grinder, empty bank account.

Yes, Gaggia still ships with the petrfect crema device and pressurised portafilter baskets

This works well for many people who use pre-ground coffee.

However, for those who grind on demand their should be advice in the box to purchase another basket or better still, to include a normal basket

Home Barista Training - contact me to discuss your requirements

So... guys, just to recap: what's better to do to deal with this awful issue? I'm waiting for my Gaggia Classic to arrive and I hope at least on of the three baskets (as sold in the italian market) will behave like they should. Alternatively, I'll purchase a 15gr VST one...

And... since this thread started at least two years by now, did Gaggia update its datasheets/bill of material or even the box content in the meantime? Is there someone who bought the Classic one recently who can tell us?

I wouldn't be disappointed from the coffee machine and its brand before I got it. Also because before reading this thread, firstly I read those in which Gaggia Classic is celebrated like an historical coffee machine icon. ;)

Bye!

In my box, was just the machine, the PF, a single and double pressurised baskets and the crema device, and a uselss plastic tamper.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys!

My Gaggia Classic has arrived, finally!

Since I started using it, I mean the "priming", I got rid off the standard basket replaced by the brand new VST 15gr!

Should I use it with the little black piece "crema device" or not? Because if so, after brewing espresso the portafilter contains wet coffee puck = water+coffee powder in the portafilter...

Thanks for your reply. ;)

Should I use it with the little black piece "crema device" or not? Because if so, after brewing espresso the portafilter contains wet coffee puck = water+coffee powder in the portafilter...

No, a positive no. Take it out & forget it for good espresso. Your problem is more to do with grind & technique.

What coffee are you using?. If its ready ground there is part of your problem.

Ron