Beanosaurus

Zenith 65e Burr Cleaning and Removal

I've owned this grinder for about 6 months now and decided it was time to give it a good clean out.

It's a pretty straight forward job where having the kit in this picture would be helpful:

7c8d9001a4edbf5db2bd862f527ebd26.jpg

Vacuum

Flannel

Big boy flathead screwdriver

Stubby flathead screwdriver

Stubby Phillips screwdriver (not shown)

17mm spanner

12mm brush

Wisdom Denture Brush

Kebab stick

The Wisdom Denture Brush is brilliant bit of kit and costs £2, I used to use it on group heads but it makes an ideal burr cleaning tool!

Edited by Beanosaurus

Beans, beans the musical fruit, the more you drink, the more you... *tremors uncontrollably* 😬 

Remove the plastic collar to access the three screws that bolt the upper-burr carrier to the body of the grinder.

These were quite tough to get loose and actually needed a slight turn tighter before loosening off. I couldn't see if any thread glue was used but I suspect it was the case.

So there are the burrs after 6 months use averaging about 1.5Kg of beans through them a month. (Maybe more!)

94122a5ca330a33a447cf7062ce3d546.jpg

Beans, beans the musical fruit, the more you drink, the more you... *tremors uncontrollably* 😬 

After some brushing on the top I got the three screws loose and removed the top burr from the carrier.

Underneath the burr was a compacted accumulation of the brown stuff, all easily removed though.

daa3ea7810e67945c8f091ebc91471e7.jpg

Edited by Beanosaurus

I noticed a couple of tiny dings in the top burr but nothing to cry about.

Possibly from impacting on Pacamaras as I never even made these burrs chirp when I had the grinder from new.

Though I suspect it's probably from the burrs slamming into the beans when the motor is activated, I'm not sure...

(Sorry for the poor resolution)

b7c9927b54151d5cc8c5bf327f49b1b5.jpg

I noticed the chute was quite caked up so gave it a good prodding with my stick...

I weighed the grinds retained after rocking the grinder back and forth and it came to 2.5 grams after I had swept down and scraped the sweeper arms.

ee972b2b464c220721d39e6a9cdb7cad.jpg

This is where the big boy came in.

Using a barista flannel for protection, wedge the spanner in against the neck of the adjustment dial.

151eaf5b27ce391b8e74706e505196fb.jpg

There were no compacted grounds under the lower-burr which was in fact immaculate.

A quick hoover up then time for reassembly.

a3fdf0940292ff580f59aa39638f7672.jpg

Edited by Beanosaurus

Bonus: My weighing setup for grinding - a Tesco brushed steel toothbrush pot.

Works a treat!!

04ea5b330ba833059c5ee32ecbfb79cf.jpg

Nice write up :) i am however most interested in your weighing assembly as I have been popping my basket in and out of the PF when weighing output of my zenith. Do you have one of those coffee catcha gizmos also?

Nice write up :) i am however most interested in your weighing assembly as I have been popping my basket in and out of the PF when weighing output of my zenith. Do you have one of those coffee catcha gizmos also?

It s painful to watch (especially in shops), and not for the cumbersome!

Desiring to improve my workflow in order to get kid to school and into work on time,

I needed to find a way to quickly weigh my input when grinding and given the limited amount of space offered I knew bench scales wouldn't be an option (not that I could justify the outlay for an Ohaus scale anyway).

You can see the scales I use are probably the most common for weighing shots - cheap, fast, accurate, and have a threshold of 1Kg.

Tesco Stainless Toothbrush Tumbler - £2

You could also use a cup if your scales can handle the weight.

The portafilter ring I use is one I got from Orphan Espresso - made from aluminium (and now dented) it weighs a mere 10.2g and fits just inside the basket.

SWMBO kept throwing away my cut-down yoghurt cups which 'forced' me into the purchase...

I had the opportunity to try a Coffee Catcha a few weeks ago when my friend lent me one and for the way I am weighing in this set-up it just didn't suit me.

Possibly good for busy shop scenarios where you have grinder that insists on splurting all over your counter and baristas, I'm also a bit sceptical of the marketing hype about the waste they save in the long run, and for what its worth in terms of additional preparation time you'd just buy a grinder with better distribution...

I also found the handle was a bit inelegant and it would leave grounds on the rim of the basket when removed unlike OE's PF Dosing Funnel where everything was contained in the basket.

I wouldn't buy one for the price either!

Edited by Beanosaurus

unfortuantely my scales are only max 300g so this may not work for me without replacing them :(

Edited by Sibling Chris

unfortuantely my scales are only max 300g so this may not work for me without replacing them :(

Pretty good deal HERE.

I need to work out how much my PF weighs I guess. I notice that generally speaking you only get 0.01g accuracy on scales with a lower max weight capacity. Those you pointed to, you can get 500g/0.01g for £1.40 DELIVERED off fleabay!!

by the way - before your big clean out had you been running grindz or similar thorugh your machine? I have had my e65 since mid-August and not cleaned it throughly like yourself but it has had some Cafetto EVO Grinder Clean through it.

Edited by Sibling Chris

...by the way - before your big clean out had you been running grindz or similar thorugh your machine? I have had my e65 since mid-August and not cleaned it throughly like yourself but it has had some Cafetto EVO Grinder Clean through it.

It's not had any kind of grinder cleaner substance through it and I was genuinely pleased by the lack of gunged up stuff in there, but I've never put oily beans through it so its a bit of a given really.

I don't think many home coffee nerds could ever justify using Grindz or anything like that for the lack of volume that they grind, unless they've been naughty and have a really mucky grinder...

I've just taken to it recently as my last major grinder clean had quite oily beans through it and it was a bit of a bugger to scrub clean (different grinder). So really only doing this now and again to prevent any build up ;)

The zenith is so easy to clean that because it only takes a couple of minutes to take the top burrs out, do it every week. Also found some small bendy brushes designed for getting hair from plugholes (go figure) in a local morrisons that makes cleaning the chute a breeze ( 2 in a pack for £2). Have never found any grinds of note under the lower burr carrier so much so that only lift them end of the month, vaccing seems to keep them fresh rest of the time.

The beauty of the lower carrier being the element that moves up and down is not having to dial the grinder in everytime you take the top burrs out for a quick spruce!

I do pat down any truly oily beans with kitchen roll which does seem to help and when changing from oily to non, do tend to lift off the top for a quick clean between bean types.

John

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 106Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Grinders: Flats: Compak R120 - NS Mythos plus Conics: Compak K10PB - Lido 3

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

Water: BWT Bestmax V Refrac: VST III

and a Puq Press not in a pear tree..

The zenith is so easy to clean that because it only takes a couple of minutes to take the top burrs out, do it every week. Also found some small bendy brushes designed for getting hair from plugholes (go figure) in a local morrisons that makes cleaning the chute a breeze ( 2 in a pack for £2). Have never found any grinds of note under the lower burr carrier so much so that only lift them end of the month, vaccing seems to keep them fresh rest of the time.

The beauty of the lower carrier being the element that moves up and down is not having to dial the grinder in everytime you take the top burrs out for a quick spruce!

I do pat down any truly oily beans with kitchen roll which does seem to help and when changing from oily to non, do tend to lift off the top for a quick clean between bean types.

John

I'll have to pick some of those brushes up, the missus can have one to save me removing her hair from bath every week...

After the burr cleaning the grounds came out a little fluffier than before and marginally less clumped, the distribution in the basket on the Zenith is pretty good and not too far off of the likes of an Anfim Super Caimano.

I do this job every time I change a bag of beans or if I think it's been too long as there are a few spots that retain old grinds in there at the lugs. It takes less than 10 mins to do a quick job on it and every now and then I spend a bit more time on it. Good guide though.

Expobar Leva Dual Boiler IV - Eureka Zenith 65e - Aeropress

I have the 75E and similar cleaning routine. I smear a little food grade silicone on the screw threads to prevent them seizing up.

Expobar Leva DB PID, Eureka Olympus 75E, Mazzer Super Jolly, Rhino Hand Grinder, Torr Trapez, On Balance Scales, VonShef Stainless Steel Double Wall French Press, VST 18, 20, IMS Shower Screen, V60, D'Ancap Cups/Saucers :coffee:

I generally avoid to remove the burrs from carriers. I used to, but now I don't. The reason is that you are not sure that the burrs will be perfectly aligned. You may have to spend days (and coffee!!) for fixing them in a parallel and vertically aligned position.

Hello there,

I had this grinder for a couple of years now and it worked great.

Today I replaced the burrs (with offical Eureka ones from a UK website), reinstalled everything and tried to grind some coffee...

The ginder works but the ground coffee doesnt come out...?

I cleand the shoot and made sure it's not blocked... Please advise?

The grind and beans seem to 'cake' around the burrs but no ground coffee comeing out?

Your ideas are welcome, thank you!

Edited by BlueHole222

Did you clean the exit chute from the inside near the burr's ? this is where an oily residue can build up and grounds stick.

Did you thoroughly clean around the wiper arms which push the coffee out (oily residue)

Is the grind set too fine and the grind more like powder ?

Clean out coffee and back off the adjuster, retry

Did you clean the exit chute from the inside near the burr's ? this is where an oily residue can build up and grounds stick.

Did you thoroughly clean around the wiper arms which push the coffee out (oily residue)

Is the grind set too fine and the grind more like powder ?

Clean out coffee and back off the adjuster, retry

Thanks mate, I'll give it a go.

Didn't see any wiper armes when I opened the grinder... I'll take another look.

Lastly, I replaced both top and buttom burrs, do I need to align them vertically somehow?

Thank you!

There are 2 wiper arms on a Zenith (see pic below, at 1 o'clock and 7 o'clock). I'm pretty sure they're integral to the bottom burr carrier so they'll still be there. It seems odd that *no* coffee is coming out - I wonder if you have something blocking the chute? Alignment should take care of itself if everything was clean when you replaced it all and no excessive force was used. You may well need to set the grind a bit coarser than before if you have new burrs as Frank said. 3a0d531ff69e7b8278e82ccee2898b42.jpg

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R