IGNORED

Sourdough & Feeding The Starter

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm new to the forum, currently doing some research into buying my first lever machine and came across this thread and thought I can contribute!   I've been having a go at baking sourdough f

Been a few months since I posted on here, maybe it was even pre-lockdown! Doesn't represent how much baking I've been doing, probably doing around 4 loaves a week on average. Here are some from the la

My best loaf yet, using Caputo Cuoco 13% protein flour as the base with some Gilchesters white and wholemeal rye. Chuffed. 

Posted Images

Hey Zeak
I have a Famag IM5 which I got for pizza dough, so I use that to mix my dough for a bit.
I add the water and flour to mixer, mix for 5 minutes to bring it together. Then I leave it for 2 hours to Autolyse.
Then I add starter and mix for a few minutes, wait 45 minutes, add salt and mix for another few miniutes.
I take the dough out, slap and fold a couple of times then it goes in a lightly oiled plastic tub with a tight fitting lid.
I cook it in oven with Pizza stone. I spray the loaves with some water from a plant mister spray type thing.
My oven is a Neff Vario Steam, so I can also inject steam. I tend to cook a couple of loaves at a time so don't use Dutch Oven.
Aaron
Thanks Aaron. So, you just put both shaped pieced onto a pizza stone? What hydration you usually going with?

New to baking bread but done a bit of Youtubing and made about 4 loaves so far. Just baked this one, will cut into it in the morning, looks to have a nice 'ear' so hoping I have nailed this one.d24ee36db54ac931db459732637c385b.jpg

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

• Like 4

This was the crumb, looks ok I guess but I'm not in the loop enough to know exactly what is considered ideal, although I am sure that would be down to personal preference. Not a crazy open crumb but this is for toast so I suppose that is probably best anyway.3c8e9cfbf592b29c6b2a42420d945d2c.jpg

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Zeak said:
16 hours ago, aaroncornish said:
Hey Zeak
I have a Famag IM5 which I got for pizza dough, so I use that to mix my dough for a bit.
I add the water and flour to mixer, mix for 5 minutes to bring it together. Then I leave it for 2 hours to Autolyse.
Then I add starter and mix for a few minutes, wait 45 minutes, add salt and mix for another few miniutes.
I take the dough out, slap and fold a couple of times then it goes in a lightly oiled plastic tub with a tight fitting lid.
I cook it in oven with Pizza stone. I spray the loaves with some water from a plant mister spray type thing.
My oven is a Neff Vario Steam, so I can also inject steam. I tend to cook a couple of loaves at a time so don't use Dutch Oven.
Aaron

Thanks Aaron. So, you just put both shaped pieced onto a pizza stone? What hydration you usually going with?

Yeah exactly that. 

These were about 75% Hydration. I use stoneground some stound ground white and home milled flours, so I could probably up this hydration.

I fridge them uncovered in the banettons overnight, so they a skin on them. this helps hold the shape for sure.

• Like 2
Yeah exactly that. 
These were about 75% Hydration. I use stoneground some stound ground white and home milled flours, so I could probably up this hydration.
I fridge them uncovered in the banettons overnight, so they a skin on them. this helps hold the shape for sure.
Amazing, thank you! One more incentive to buy a pizza steel as my stone has cracked twice now.. Guessing since I don't have an oven like yours, I'll have to play with introducing the steam somehow to get any crust.
2 minutes ago, Zeak said:
12 minutes ago, aaroncornish said:
Yeah exactly that. 

Amazing, thank you! One more incentive to buy a pizza steel as my stone has cracked twice now.. Guessing since I don't have an oven like yours, I'll have to play with introducing the steam somehow to get any crust.

I just put some ice cubes in a tray underneath my pizza stone

• Like 3

I slash at a 45 degree angle. The Dutch oven helps with the spring, as it helps to hold the steam in, which stops the crust setting so soon.

You can spray the loaf with a misting spray and chuck some ice cubes at the bottom of your oven to create steam

• Like 1
Just now, aaroncornish said:

I slash at a 45 degree angle. The Dutch oven helps with the spring, as it helps to hold the steam in, which stops the crust setting so soon.

You can spray the loaf with a misting spray and chuck some ice cubes at the bottom of your oven to create steam

Cheers, I put the ice cubes in but never slashed at 45. Will give that a try next time, need to work on my slashing.

2 hours ago, aaroncornish said:

That looks good Grumble, what was it like inside?

I should have taken a pic, it was good but not quite perfect - I'm still not 100% sure if it was under or over-proved, ha. It wasn't heavy at all but not very open crumb, if that makes any sense. Lots of very small holes. It was a bit too wet for my skills and ended up sticking quite a lot so I think I probably over-shaped it.
I used quite a lot of Gilchester's organic white which is really more like a light wholemeal, it's really tasty though.

15 hours ago, grumble said:

I should have taken a pic, it was good but not quite perfect - I'm still not 100% sure if it was under or over-proved, ha. It wasn't heavy at all but not very open crumb, if that makes any sense. Lots of very small holes. It was a bit too wet for my skills and ended up sticking quite a lot so I think I probably over-shaped it.
I used quite a lot of Gilchester's organic white which is really more like a light wholemeal, it's really tasty though.

I am familiar with the Gilchester's white, it's lovely, but like you say, it is high extraction.  It is not great for open crumb on it's own, or in high doses, but it tastes amazing.

I find if you mix it with a roller milled flour you can get a more open crumb.

• Like 1

Yeah I did have some roller milled flour in the mix but quite a lot of Gilchester's white and also some wholemeal. I'll try less next time. Flavour is fantastic though.

I still feel like I haven't got a handle on when the dough is ready to bake and when it's under/over. Some loaves turn out great and others are v tasty but a bit flat in shape. I've read up on all the tests etc but I can't quite get my head around the results of the 'poke test' on your final proofed loaf.

At some point I'm tempted to get a proving cabinet thingy so temps are at least consistent. 

Edited by grumble