IGNORED

Sourdough & Feeding The Starter

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm new to the forum, currently doing some research into buying my first lever machine and came across this thread and thought I can contribute!   I've been having a go at baking sourdough f

Been a few months since I posted on here, maybe it was even pre-lockdown! Doesn't represent how much baking I've been doing, probably doing around 4 loaves a week on average. Here are some from the la

My best loaf yet, using Caputo Cuoco 13% protein flour as the base with some Gilchesters white and wholemeal rye. Chuffed. 

Posted Images

On 16/04/2020 at 15:29, aaroncornish said:

Loving all these isolation bakes :)

Just gone even further down the rabbit hole by buying a mockmill 200 

Now need to find somewhere to buy some grain, somewhere that is actually taking orders :)

Aaron

Let me know how it goes - I was looking at buying a Mockmill just unsure of where to get grains from

2 minutes ago, Cooffe said:

Let me know how it goes - I was looking at buying a Mockmill just unsure of where to get grains from

Hey Cooffe

I used my initial 1.5kg of grain just messing about with it, and then ran out.

I have just had a new grain delivery so going to be messing about on Sunday I think.

You can order grain from Gilchesters https://gilchesters.com/product/ and Hodmedods https://hodmedods.co.uk/collections/grains-seeds

Aaron

• Like 2

Thanks peeps but I'm too much of a hipster and I want the Weck jars cos they look nice :)

Got some from Germany via eBay in the end. It seems some shady seller on amazon has switched the listing from six jars to one for the same price to capitalise on lockdown! (ب_ب)

I'm avoiding Amazon anyway, they make enough money. 

Edited by grumble

Some brioche burger buns. Added 30g sugar and 60g butter to a standard 550g or so sourdough mix. Splash of milk with the water. Egg wash to glaze. All done in a day - early start/warm conservatory.

20200425_181747.jpg

20200425_192610.jpg

• Like 6
11 hours ago, grumble said:

@Cooffe any tips on getting such good oven spring? :)

Haha how does your crumb look firstly? A lot of oven spring comes down to how well fermented the dough is. Also, how are you baking it? (temperatures/times etc.?)

Just got my bakerybits delivery. This one is pain de campagne with 75% gilchesters white.  
The taste is amazing but I'm still not getting much oven spring. Will keep trying. 
IMG_20200504_090530.thumb.jpg.d1e552d6ecbef1f469e94656e7935443.jpg
Oh that's promising! When did you put the order in? I'm waiting for lots of goodies from them

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, jonnycooper29 said:

Oh that's promising! When did you put the order in? I'm waiting for lots of goodies from thememoji16.png

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Ordered 21st April received 1st May 

• Like 1

What do you guys do with waste starter? I hate throwing it away. Tried frying it to make some kind of bread pancake but its far too thick to cook like that, the outside was burnt and the middle raw.

Not looking for recipe so much as something quick to do with it to avoid it going in the bin

26 minutes ago, Michael87 said:

What do you guys do with waste starter? I hate throwing it away. Tried frying it to make some kind of bread pancake but its far too thick to cook like that, the outside was burnt and the middle raw.

Not looking for recipe so much as something quick to do with it to avoid it going in the bin

Can keep discard in the fridge for weeks, let it accumulate and then make something like banana bread or pancakes or brownies

I’ve started using it to make American style pancakes

Make as normal recipe and add starter discard. Doesn’t do much for the rise but uses it up and I swear it makes them fluffier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
On 07/05/2020 at 15:58, Michael87 said:

Focaccia 

A3F8A244-46CF-4040-96B6-F86131D6835B.jpeg

0FA67843-A7A8-48FD-BBBC-E36D39A89B9A.jpeg

• Like 1