IGNORED

Sourdough & Feeding The Starter

If you have local hip vegan/organic shops or whatever, they might have them in. That's where I got some in Berlin after much failed searching around supermarkets! @aaroncornish, I'll be using your method scaled in half today, with the bake coming tomorrow morning :)

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm new to the forum, currently doing some research into buying my first lever machine and came across this thread and thought I can contribute!   I've been having a go at baking sourdough f

Been a few months since I posted on here, maybe it was even pre-lockdown! Doesn't represent how much baking I've been doing, probably doing around 4 loaves a week on average. Here are some from the la

My best loaf yet, using Caputo Cuoco 13% protein flour as the base with some Gilchesters white and wholemeal rye. Chuffed. 

Posted Images

Results from using @aaroncornish's recipe (halved), with the slap and fold + 45 mins wait after accidentally missed out. I'm thinking it did need the extra fold session, they're a little bit flat, but not too bad at all and super tasty! Other issue is that with my first time using my new enameled cast iron pot, I used baking paper which crumpled a bit and so the spring in the oven filled the gaps a little bit and made them a bit knobbly :p I'll go without baking paper next time.

YR1XxTJUp5mqgxb2X8RRfrAFLI8xYU_D1UWFcSeH69NWQccgW6KKGCnlyjOPVeEfwX-4Pu8YM_YcVcCj1RISNgCVf96kX6SgG08Vb_hqQEpkCGECn8v9f35I4WdEAu1Q9981T2uY9hmG0g_lJ54oA_JZbzvSJk_FY6V8YOAzhrbCw5dA4DRt1XvV-KmWFOXhKhiQcEXa0BmwAnvJ9p1N-qJ5C3xbFvgL9b4-mx4EFd5SoyRoYhTWG2xsowHjRuwTaS9cBonEqKWwXeqHLc_0DIjUMVUFDRiXqz0NycmtPVNp7SMzwHMSLO7iNpK460htBry6SfTrK6x58bj2aMNACC4WuDA0K-H0pjYNg-bkua0rKXLAG5IFeDkbYvqrVUHSG10OxrO-rdHbE4R9p_vCH_GnrSyXYgZINGve5_pUUeeKxcpjfHXjQ6b1qQC_brXJHR4C0OgRKdQIZ-CtpL2G6bq6goooAqSO_bW5UZvfRzVyW0umuQnwKM4Kw_azc8mbUAuudR11VKpUSPSRj8fv7YzMMOHCST1CeM0ZgSfkkoR-d45ElwEqFJhbXHSmBTvT1eGJh4BrWuPuEe-kzzqWEcHR3dhvqfVB5JxLJAIXUaA-EOf2878xegRmMVCSDo3M2bAgpML3PHOGyTXDd5teV3Mo19RVWBwZmTAukbaHzcQNmY82JoXaMQqIKlyfQz0=w1452-h1394-no

sxzx_ixxyOMsIoc7g7JxfraYCzThQp-Nh9_irbv-FcEAeCOgrdeYiEvvW8dW2nvT9MOMIz7l7yXMVXwwfInGGYIwy_KzWFks2RTRFJZyxRrDhS1JF1MaVxu1014LAJn4Kc9iaC9pM17bNekJTbJiL-vG3yNrH8rIu_heCNeaHkwb2Ew25K_2nco5gUQ6e4F7YxVcPWvyHhSGQYj71xR5fp40eLGExjPJtCIDbE3D3CBFx6WlJaZ2nHCS3yzEdQuyEzlAwrFVs9OY3shvBO217AgDUxPwQpbvR9t4EOtqYhKtjWatqiMQeOIt8PuPWIJlUS2oex2jbdAeg-QQ4lupJjG6tTK5FWPMM4kDAv41elie4NJ0IHOP71yH_LnrtFaoFAVJUtkaMhL-Out-D4ndwSvuGjWmYOqjQOyKmZ-QelaoymuQoBAaTUuxKyBIfCesVBq7eEmn772J0Chg5vRcKxXZL0Ank_NOUKl2BxNOCsS2HDvfj4CDOtwI87iplK-gsrn2yn3WgU_4OJuxlR9Et8HwV7uZHjuyTTnxGPTjIrUO66I0HmNXvhmTtIqbPk5sakFs30nwK7bil4bsg2rNbhwwmutdV_HT8_JeeBp0rPTeacE2YdTqIDnfS81NQ5cy8VvLmMa_6k-a1G06Dj3CtYUZVk2arD0Mlhmj6djrcuQ820l6F6C6XwyQ_pgY7QU=w2366-h1394-no

Crumb:

kBEucdJjDw2LNBmGa5D47vTmCujGGXcZlEZoLSlB8uxeWuNQxtzdWOvIBVpvlRCfuNwlgWQ0F7bw5rgIGCbKJoLq0zFqPSxQ_ltsvT33m87ivaV2FlSTatsSiZaxU0ZE6X-tezyHH3-TxrE7M05bbG6Z5rzq-GcAAbHD8xlrys3cbGtky8WfWz-k1puJYTU7Tud8SXkGDNs72htfRSWe6srSPMXVMorjPa-DSLHJB6QleCupYyjyHs6O5fsIEPTjlC1mDaFoQF0r2u9-2csjJwlsJVFW4W5n1BqHuG6pZd0oKZS5QVbsINCGngNrzID7WLwjgW6fACq383SBoZpsFpTE9Hx2lBG-xuwWD0dV0sOPoJwS-LQHUatfchN2eUvA2Ojuqvv2yxbx5dsUDaOYZ2WC_7C0VHsoAX_6y6UBZJ1_bKDS-RjR1DSb3_OMDmDTiFjkQKXErFhErbU1hFiZYjzve0zQQQV83B2DsVSOjc8rdLwBHdLm4HHPBNJXy9o6_7qR0vRok2vKUy2XKG0aSZCQcoPh7NM8sSrjNmZEnLVEBOz5R26KcNPLgOhClfy4vl7uMcRVOhxXBVtVFaU_06B-7L0CneSG2cBuM9o_sEeLeaiAsokzzZ9JYRW5rLXPz95hLD0STaUpIR8Y8g4_7HQy2_jBQ_tqrHtJbyZOwoMNKgVyDOc4y9Fg57EQoCE=w1006-h1394-no

Edited by HBLP

I can thoroughly recommend the KoMo grain mill. I get spring wheat locally but it is easily obtainable via eBay etc. If you get the version with the ability to roll oats too then you’ll enjoy the best ever porridge!

On 18/03/2020 at 09:46, aaroncornish said:

Shipton Mill and Gilchesters still have plenty of flour. It’s just taking a bit longer to ship it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neither now accepting new online orders. CV causing a home bread baking panic too. Ffs honestly 

Luckily I have about 8 kilo and I only do two a week, pick up more tomorrow,plus my Natural store uses Dove's which is what I use.

IMG_20200319_094811.thumb.jpg.d00086a44953881178e7944d30761a57.jpgIMG_20200319_090001.thumb.jpg.6f4bc31e6218d7f56abf152477924ce1.jpg

Maybe this works?

I think I'll be stubborn and stick at it with same hydration in a couple of days. I was a bit lazy with my folds and missed one part out too, so I think there is more opportunity to build strength :)

Edited by HBLP
  • Like 1
IMG_20200319_094811.thumb.jpg.d00086a44953881178e7944d30761a57.jpgIMG_20200319_090001.thumb.jpg.6f4bc31e6218d7f56abf152477924ce1.jpg

Maybe this works?

I think I'll be stubborn and stick at it with same hydration in a couple of days. I was a bit lazy with my folds and missed one part out too, so I think there is more opportunity to build strength

What shaping technique are you using?

1 minute ago, aaroncornish said:

What shaping technique are you using?

I used the one Kristen used in her recipe that you linked. I don't think i did it super well mind you, and it did feel like it lacked a bit of strength before and after shaping. I'm not sure i like the pinching of the ends of the batard after doing this 'tuck and roll', it seems like it is likely to encourage it to spread lengthways.

Any tips re shaping would be great. Also, for your stretch and folds, are you doing them in the bowl or on a surface, and with which technique in either case? Thanks for all the help, really appreciate it!

38 minutes ago, HBLP said:

I used the one Kristen used in her recipe that you linked. I don't think i did it super well mind you, and it did feel like it lacked a bit of strength before and after shaping. I'm not sure i like the pinching of the ends of the batard after doing this 'tuck and roll', it seems like it is likely to encourage it to spread lengthways.

Any tips re shaping would be great. Also, for your stretch and folds, are you doing them in the bowl or on a surface, and with which technique in either case? Thanks for all the help, really appreciate it!

Here's a pre shaping video I made. Use less flour than you think on the bench, and more on the hands. Remember your dough scraper is your friend. Not sure if it's helpful but I have a video of my coil folds too, but these aren't stretch and folds.

18 hours ago, Cooffe said:

Here's a pre shaping video I made. Use less flour than you think on the bench, and more on the hands. Remember your dough scraper is your friend. Not sure if it's helpful but I have a video of my coil folds too, but these aren't stretch and folds.

Thanks a lot, I'll definitely use that for preshaping. I am familiar with coil folds, I don't know which are 'better'. It seems coil folds work better with a smaller mass of dough, potentially better with wetter doughs too (75+% hydration).

After flour is not findable even in my local hip organic shops or turkish supermarkets, nor any specialty online shops, I found myself on ebay. Found a guy in a small village here in Germany who sells his flour direct in 5kg bags, bought the two types of white flour i need and some wholegrain too (2.5kg pack). So tomorrow i will receive 12.5kg of flour. There was no coronavirus markup and he even part refunded me for overpaying on shipping! In a time where cowboys thrive, I'm really pleased to have found a really honest seller.

• Like 3