Neill

Sourdough & Feeding The Starter

Can you add spelt flour to increase extensibility?

Current loaves definitely haven't over bulk, it's cold in the kitchen, I think I actually shaped them too soon, but had to fit in with todays schedule

Profitec 700 | Compak E8

You definitely could but it shouldn't be necessary. Maybe this particular dough required a mire gentle shaping approach? Or a longer bench rest.

Interesting...

Tale of two loaves

Both prepared in the same way, from the same bulk but cooked in different ovens

One in the £1300 neff steam oven

The other in the cheaper non steam oven

Guess which is which

e1f48e477a73931931a6b3a28ca26809.jpg

Profitec 700 | Compak E8

Well this is my first ever sour dough. I read more recipes and books than I can remember and am very conscious that I only know about 0.1% of what there is to know..

Anyway, here is my starter after 10 days of feeding, now being left in the fridge and to be fed once a week.

56093e0b96ea55653f58cc647dc3ef99.jpg

And my first two loaves, one of which I have cut into!

48c636c5f8eb7f2a53f8ad2bed5323f4.jpg

601c42393d8f7099b1ad20e1692ce43f.jpg

I have a long way to go, but am very happy with these!

Sage Duo Temp Pro, Niche Zero

Aergrind + Aeropress for travelling

Well this is my first ever sour dough. I read more recipes and books than I can remember and am very conscious that I only know about 0.1% of what there is to know..

Anyway, here is my starter after 10 days of feeding, now being left in the fridge and to be fed once a week.

56093e0b96ea55653f58cc647dc3ef99.jpg

And my first two loaves, one of which I have cut into!

48c636c5f8eb7f2a53f8ad2bed5323f4.jpg

601c42393d8f7099b1ad20e1692ce43f.jpg

I have a long way to go, but am very happy with these!

You should be happy. Those loaves are awesome

Profitec 700 | Compak E8

That is excellent, I must say I don't often give praise out. 10/10 and I hope mine are like that doubtful!!

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

Does anyone use a mixer for their sourdough?

Wondering if that will help me get my extensibility and better rise

Profitec 700 | Compak E8

I am led the believe it does aid it beyond elbow grease, not sure how, from what I was reading. take that as a pinch of salt haha

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

I've been mixing less and less as time goes on, this loaf came from an 88% hydration dough of which my steps are

1) Mix starter + flour + water with a spatula for a minute so there are no dry bits

2) Add salt 30 minutes later, massage in for about a minute

3) About four strong folds over 5 hours (ambient room temp)

4) bench rest for 30, shape, fridge for 16

5) Bake

And I've got reasonably decent rise/shape (Given the excessive hydration for a largely white-flour based dough).

I was in France recently using supermarket flour (with the same starter) and I had to drop down to 75% hydration to get a dough that was at all workable, and for a rise I *had* to use an enclosed crockpot (Steam makes a *huge* difference, having a crust form early on really buggers up your rise).

I'd say that starter health + knowing your flour + judging your proof + having moisture around are more important than any mixing/etc with a dough that uses this much time during its proofing process.

59655720_2382113215406663_7980339832111071562_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.cdninstagram.com

Tame Barista @ http://tamebaristas.com

Thanks Rob!

That loaf looks great

Had a bit letter luck with today’s bake

Went for a much longer autolyse

9578fc42c8e5dee2c0e85b513f0e4d27.jpg

Profitec 700 | Compak E8

Posted (edited)

@‎The Systemic Kid

I am doing your starter page 69/70 you say second day take half out do I put 50 G and 50 water back in. Thanks Jony sorry about if it sounds silly.

Edited by Jony

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

Mixing would actually increase the elasticity and limit the extensibility (especially a long mix at a high speed) due to the strong gluten development. To be honest, I don't think you need extensibility to get a better rise.

By the way, what flours are you using?

Thanks Rob!

That loaf looks great

Had a bit letter luck with today’s bake

Went for a much longer autolyse

9578fc42c8e5dee2c0e85b513f0e4d27.jpg

That looks great!

I become slowly convinced that a lot of the stuff we do to our dough when working on it doesn't help as much as we think it does, and that it just boils down to the ingredients and knowing your dough - not to say that laminated folds and such aren't useful for building structure, but over an hour long autolyse and a few hours of bulk, you'll get the gluten you need and the air you need and what you then do with those things is up to you.

I've seen Gary Dyke do a few loaves on Instagram lately where he's just kept his hands off entirely and they've turned out great.

Tame Barista @ http://tamebaristas.com

On 5/11/2019 at 1:44 PM, robashton said:

I become slowly convinced that a lot of the stuff we do to our dough when working on it doesn't help as much as we think it does, and that it just boils down to the ingredients and knowing your dough - not to say that laminated folds and such aren't useful for building structure, but over an hour long autolyse and a few hours of bulk, you'll get the gluten you need and the air you need and what you then do with those things is up to you.

Trevor J Wilson belives an open crumb is 80% fermentation and handling.

800125ba5e302c80add573e8efd8df9f.jpg

This was recommended to me a few weeks back by one of you guys - thank you as this book is superb!

Best ever loaf today - I had a lot of the basic technique but not necessarily at the right time or resting sufficiently.
1dd66f1d4ccfdc646248a27a3e71619b.jpg
faa53871777a62cd0bc60d7ec5fc248b.jpg
A 20 hr retardation in the fridge resulted in the a very deep sour flavour, without the excess acidity I was previously getting.

Was difficult to stop eating this at dinner time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1