Neill

Sourdough & Feeding The Starter

This weekends loaves

Not quite the oven spring I hoped for but still great bread

882212821d92fa1f620950fe234d120f.jpg

Profitec 700 | Compak E8

Went to a workshop by the owner/head baker of the best local bakery. We made some amazing breads and the 2-day event left me with so much food for thought about sourdough, flour, fermentation and my career choices so far..

d94f37663c80957017ae22d78c977554.jpgb626f5bbd5e760b6737b9297275785a2.jpg3204b5aaabcc54d0f061832fe63c7e0c.jpga7ad2b20b488f4bd4661d7efaa3d8b55.jpg54823ca1b32f7dc8d9936b73827f378c.jpg93ec1ddea65d59c3c032c3ba5fc2041f.jpg

I've got to make the leap at some point from the no knead bread I occasionally make today to some of those beauties, but this thread is intimidating in its size and quantity of info

Gaggia Classic Chrome - Mignon Specialita 55

I agree, it's really doing my head in now. My next option is Lodge and a Book.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

Hardly seems the weather for baking ... but, here are this weekends loaves

70% Shipton no 4

20% Stoneground t80 white

10% Shipton wholemeal

65% hydration

Makes 4 loaves

c5b368aded18937e547861e8411ed994.jpg

5d55959214ca56efe80151071069c263.jpg

Profitec 700 | Compak E8

Ignore list coming very soon,haha. Great again

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

Ignore list coming very soon,haha. Great again

What are you struggling with? I of all people on here owe some sourdough surgery time back to the forum :)

Profitec 700 | Compak E8

I have not even started yet! but in the next coming months I will start, one thing at a time. I just wouldn't know where to start. The Sourdough starter gets me?

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

I have not even started yet! but in the next coming months I will start, one thing at a time. I just wouldn't know where to start. The Sourdough starter gets me?
Start your starter off now so the battle of the yeasts is well & truely over in a couple of months when you come to want it.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Not difficult. Takes two weeks to create a useable starter. Use organic rye flour - easiest to get going. Check back through thread for guidance.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

Thanks will do, going to get on with this very soon.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

Wow! This seeded loaf is glorious. Didn’t get the open crumb I wanted, but the bread is so

Soft and delicious

Fennel seeds are gorgeous in it

Profitec 700 | Compak E8

What cloches are you guys using these days?

I need a rectangular one as I prefer longer loves to boules, that and I smashed my round one :(

Profitec 700 | Compak E8

What cloches are you guys using these days?

I need a rectangular one as I prefer longer loves to boules, that and I smashed my round one :(

I use round glass pyrex casserole dishes, upside down so I just load the dough on a bit of baking paper. Has the benefit of being able to watch the loaf rise before taking the bowl off after 25 mins or so.

What's the secret to getting seeds to stick? I love pumpkin seeds especially, but few stay on once I've sliced the thing... do you use a smear of yoghurt?

I use round glass pyrex casserole dishes, upside down so I just load the dough on a bit of baking paper. Has the benefit of being able to watch the loaf rise before taking the bowl off after 25 mins or so.

What's the secret to getting seeds to stick? I love pumpkin seeds especially, but few stay on once I've sliced the thing... do you use a smear of yoghurt?

Good idea! Thanks

I put the seeds in the baneton before I prove, and I prove overnight in fridge. Most of them stay put, but quite a lot end up on bread board

Profitec 700 | Compak E8

I may need to be more generous with my seeding, also maybe try less flour on top of the loaf. At least I get to munch all the roasted seeds that fall off :-)

I may need to be more generous with my seeding, also maybe try less flour on top of the loaf. At least I get to munch all the roasted seeds that fall off :-)
Try seeding before the flour?

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Try seeding before the flour?

I find that the dough after shaping is quite dry -and a bit floury - before i load into the bannetons which have been rice floured. I guess I should chuck the seeds into the banneton,as getting them to stick to the shaped dough is a tough job. Will see what transpires on the next bake.

Are you perhaps using too much flour for shaping? I use very little now

Profitec 700 | Compak E8

Hey bread fans!

I am having some issues with dough not being be very extensible. It’s tearing during shaping.

I am doing slap and fold after adding salt and 3 sets of stretch and folds

I’m using 70% Shipton no 4

20% french t80

10% whole meal

Wonder if I am not to bulking dough enough

Profitec 700 | Compak E8

If it's too strong and not extensible enough you might be booking too much not too little. More gas = more strength