Neill

Sourdough & Feeding The Starter

Jeez - what’s that for?

It’s from fullproofbaking on insta. It is how they make an open crumb loaf.

The dough is not stretchy as I would like. I didn’t get the dough hot enough when I did autolyse. It’s a 4 hour autolyse so I should have got dough to 75f and then chucked it into proofer with the developing leven

Profitec 700 | Compak E8

The lamination adds strength to the dough much like a stretch and fold. Also makes it easy to incorporate seeds, nuts, etc.

I'm considering getting a Brød & Taylor proofer to keep control of the dough temperature in the winter. Seems like a pretty good product.

I'm considering getting a Brød & Taylor proofer to keep control of the dough temperature in the winter. Seems like a pretty good product.

If you have a cold kitchen like mine then it’s a great product. One less variable to worry about .

My starter has gone turbo since I got mine

Profitec 700 | Compak E8

Two loaves retarding in the fridge until the morning.

Very proofy and a bit sloppy, time will tell

Profitec 700 | Compak E8

Lamination!

Not sure I have ever stretched a bread dough so far

8a0645abfe2a0fd805f8fd71962a0481.jpg

Excuse vile chipboard kitchen floor

That's the point where you need to spread a good layer of butter on!

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Just watched her video of that. Her bread looks a lot more hole-y than mine and I'm sure tastes better too but right now that all seems like way too much effort. I like to bake a couple of loaves every 4-7 days, and that's not much commitment with no autolysing, overnight proofing, stretching and folding and what not. All of that makes it seem like too much of a chore to me personally, but interested to see how it goes for you!

Anyway, results of yesterday's seeded sourdough bake (using Patrick's video on youtube):

IMG-20190209-WA0004.jpg

Ls1UFLQqjNluXBhqD3VlbycdH-ucaEVG01QY9EHlM84AxypcWcaAA7xg_d74VPGLZUHOh4dXPz-P0BVs8Nwsz2IWOXDaz0ESl7w9i0mlZX6Q97SjrOu22w8Bncx7s0FXVuwH9wWYC_SQMM5lEHg5DOY7C56EfldSgGQZyeI_FlD8yDnki7sgzvQYXpdXS2WQh6bLZvETtmsf_DzMiH090BOANZ5gjffj_IxeMxxuf25AQ55xkfslZ0jIVzcRgghmlJKm5j04fdF2WekVDZxCLOFbz7I3jnWRcgMX--uVJ1psNSXpMV8-Ja-IjFO4dQISLy9bjBZDr-lxGGUzH40ErME81fbQtOHqBzJRCucrRas0n_Vm0m4BhkStQs1Qms6JLmKOf0i_7rPVEI4dGW8zLibC8SfEIUP7b4BQvqf_dEmoITbf-4Lkw6iRBvDEXpU4Yp239UCr3Jl6qkdzXnWF3Ym-RRtHmFGCxc4CXjEzA0mrakgg33oLzH5DArQb8NBIORY3xkpGE4wlVnZT5yhF_2Vw9ewzjKUTLw6p3-TIpuCW_E0B59zHJEIRrnr8mMD1crU8NY9fufFGT1o4LNMddsssQ_-1CozoqavGPozrE2_M65VIGZ-Pu00ZqHOyUdH6iTE0-ecM4ZvZXWrgpk-yReBQjcW9bleSUd8_I0zU4zTS0d0FfLbog7lFLmzpWYWVVBLgV9yL7BnqZKlxio4SOr9Tww=w1267-h944-no

You’re not wrong. It’s a massive faff. Need to find a better basic approach that is going to get me a decent ish loaf.

That took me most of yesterday and my reward this morning is two loaves that are as flat as witches tits and one stuck to the baneton.

I clearly need to do a lot of practise with shaping and building dough strength. Until then I will stick to low hydration for sure.

Profitec 700 | Compak E8

Stick to a tried and true recipe - say 90% white, 10% wholewheat, 2% salt, 20% levain, hydration 65-75% depending (start low and go higher). Fermentation (starter) is key. Make sure your starter is strong and not overly acidic. If you feed it a few hours after it has collapsed it may have starter to develop a lot of acidity which affects the gluten in the dough. Try to always feed it round it's peak +/- 1-2 hours. Don't overfeed it (i.e. feed before it has matured) as you might dilute the yeast bacteria in the starter. Forget about lamination, coil folds, and others more advanced techniques for now.

30min autolyse (with or without the starter is up to you - if it has already peeked better to add it in the autolyse), 5ish minutes of some kind of mixing (stand mixer, hand method). Then for the first two hours do a stretch and fold every 30 mins. After than you can either leave the dough to bulk on its own or do a stretch and fold hourly. Really depends on how strong the dough is (i.e. slack high hydration dough might need more S&F to build up strength). At the end of bulk the dough should feel light and billowy (?), you should be able to see quite a lot of bubbles on the sides and bottom (use a glass bowl) and it should have risen by about 30% (if you are using a glass bowl you can make a scale on a piece of paper tape by writing down the levels at 100g water, 200g water, 300g water etc. which will account for the tapered sides of the bowl). Turn it out on an unfloured surface and preshape it (wet your hands!). Depending on the strength the dough may need 15-40min bench rest. By the end of it, it shouldn't have spread out a lot - if it has, you didn't bulk it for long enough. Not much can be done at this stage - maybe another preshape and leaving it out for 30ish minutes more. After that shape and depending on how proofy it is and your fridge temp, you either let it proof for 20ish minutes at room temp and then throw it into the fridge or directly retard. For how long really depends on the degree of proof, the temp in your fridge, etc. Anywhere between 10-20 hours is possible.

Thanks Bronc, that’s a fantastic reply.

These loaves were 70% hydration with 90% white and 10% whole meal

Starter was fed night before. Leven was created at 8am and had tripled in 5 hours. Was added to autolyse which had been going for 3 hours.

I suspect temperature let me down. I didn’t bring autolyse up to 75f. Kitchen was at 15c so guessing it was all too cold.

Ended up with a very proofy dough, but it wasn’t holding its shape well.

Will change my approach and go back to basics with the added advantage of proofing box now

Thanks again

e38fdb9f9e966b89283a84c914ce7c33.jpg

Profitec 700 | Compak E8

I'd say a tad overproofed and maybe shaping wasn't great but not bad at all. I'd much rather have an overproofed than an underproofed loaf!

Might be a bit overproofed, but not by too much. When it overproofs the strength starts to fail and it struggle to support the structure. I'd say that's a pretty good one, though.

Thanks everyone! It takes pretty good. I would say it has a similar texture to a crumpet if that gives anything away? After feeling a bit deflated this morning about them, I’m actually pretty happy with them, especially toasted

Profitec 700 | Compak E8

Well, i don’t think I am making as much progress as Aaron.....

ad96cffbcf5f3c116eb9411a9c01fdc3.jpg

c51d3f9789ddf89f0f0e589a82bc5ec1.jpg

Back to basics for me next time, I think.

I tried to fridge for 2 hrs before baking and that was not successful!!

Doesn’t look like I got much air in there this time. I thought the starter was pretty active - had increased in volume by 50% - but now wondering if activity might have been dropping off by the time I did the kneading.

This is much more frustrating than learning to make espresso - if your shot channels you can make another one and improve 3 minutes later....this takes weeks!!

Doesn’t look like I got much air in there this time. I thought the starter was pretty active - had increased in volume by 50% - but now wondering if activity might have been dropping off by the time I did the kneading.

This is much more frustrating than learning to make espresso - if your shot channels you can make another one and improve 3 minutes later....this takes weeks!!

That looks under proofed to me, lack of proper fermentation

If you have a cold kitchen like mine then it’s a great product. One less variable to worry about .

My starter has gone turbo since I got mine

Sounds good. The starter I usually boost a bit in the winter by feeding it with a higher innoculation, but I'd rather not keep changing the dough recipe to compensate for colder weather. Then I can just set it to 25C or something and get consistently good results everyone time.

It’s a steep learning curve isn’t it!

I will be happy with a loaf I can make on a Friday night and chuck in the oven before Parkrun on a Saturday morning. That is my goal for this year

Profitec 700 | Compak E8

Here’s a question.

What flour do you recommend feeding the fridge starter on?

I make white sourdough (waitrose Canadian very strong white bread flour) so had been feeding the starter on the same.

Is that right, or do people feed the starter on another “interesting” flour and then make the actual bread with their chosen white?

I feed mine plain old white bread flour for the standard feeds.

When I am getting an offshoot ready to bake with, I add 10% stoneground rye to the starter. Really kickstarts it.

Profitec 700 | Compak E8

I use Rye for my starter, and it feels so much more active than when i used strong white. I just fed rye to my white starter and it soon became a Rye starter. Rye seems to be much more hardy and flexible as to when it's fed and used, and adds a nice flavour too IMO.