Neill

Sourdough & Feeding The Starter

Thought It was about time I cracked out one of these again. Its been so long since I did bread I didn't get them shaped quite as well as ld like. Also didn't get them off the peel cleanly and the ended up stuck together. Still taste great though. Just a white loaf. This ones from the river cottage handbook and I've never had it go wrong. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417460473.606907.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417460415.220731.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417460444.452780.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417460460.888674.jpg

Gaggia classic (OPV, steam wand and auber PID), HG one, hausgrind walnut, rattleware handle free, bottomless pf, 15g, 18g and 20g vst, torr goldfinger, 3 cup chemex, 8 cup chemex, 3 cup siphon, ceramic v60-01, kalita wave 155 and an aeropress.

Damn. Autocorrected my title. Any mods care to change it to sourdough.

Gaggia classic (OPV, steam wand and auber PID), HG one, hausgrind walnut, rattleware handle free, bottomless pf, 15g, 18g and 20g vst, torr goldfinger, 3 cup chemex, 8 cup chemex, 3 cup siphon, ceramic v60-01, kalita wave 155 and an aeropress.

Lovely looking sourdough Neill, how long was your starter in the fridge for ? I recently fed mine after about 3 weeks without feeding they're quite resilient little feckers!!

Hottop roaster, Mazzer Super Jolly Areopress, Clever Coffee Dripper

Mine has been neglected and dried out in the fridge.

I'm going to reanimate it.

Its called 'David', after Edward and Tubbs son.

Lovely looking sourdough Neill, how long was your starter in the fridge for ? I recently fed mine after about 3 weeks without feeding they're quite resilient little feckers!!

It was in the fridge for about a week. It was fed 2 days before baking, the morning of the day before then was used that evening to make a sponge. It could have been a bit more active to be honest. The pic of the starter was actually when I first made it with wholemeal. It's now converted to white.

That looks lovely. I've yet to try sourdough but must give it a go as I love to eat the stuff.

Londinium L1 | Compak E8

Mine has been neglected and dried out in the fridge.

I'm going to reanimate it.

Its called 'David', after Edward and Tubbs son.

My son has named mine McQueen after lightening from Cars!

I'm trying to get a starter on the go but the temperature appears to be a bit prohibitive :-(

I'm trying to get a starter on the go but the temperature appears to be a bit prohibitive :-(

What do you mean jeebsy?

I've always just sat mine on a counter top for a couple of weeks at room temp, always got going.

Isomac Alba

Elektra Grinder

Flat Whites only baby.

That is a really nice loaf OP, lovely aeration in the dough with a nice looking crust. I had a starter that had been going for a bout 3 years but binned it, I was the only one who liked sourdough.

Just a got an 8 seed cheese and malt proving now.

Some cheese scones and some fruit ones already done.

Not sure what to do next, might make some shortbread, can't beat something that has bread in it's name.

Isomac Alba

Elektra Grinder

Flat Whites only baby.

Most online sources i've read said to expect bubbling within 24 hours but its not happening - i thought because it's pretty cold in my flat

Forget that shite, it will bubble when it;s ready, did you use any activators (organic apple etc) or just flour? If just flour probably won't see anything significant for 3-4 days, as you say temp will affect it but it'll get there in the end.

I presume you have done it before?

If not a good tip is when they recommend throwing half of it away either use it as a sponge and make bread from it or use this batch to start and starter maybe wholemeal etc. Makes a really tasty bloomer.

Isomac Alba

Elektra Grinder

Flat Whites only baby.

There was an interesting feature on Sourdough in an episode of Food Unwrapped recently. Repeat on channel More4, I think it was?

Didn't catch that one and I usually try and watch it, ta very much will do that.

Isomac Alba

Elektra Grinder

Flat Whites only baby.

Forget that shite, it will bubble when it;s ready, did you use any activators (organic apple etc) or just flour? If just flour probably won't see anything significant for 3-4 days, as you say temp will affect it but it'll get there in the end.

I presume you have done it before?

If not a good tip is when they recommend throwing half of it away either use it as a sponge and make bread from it or use this batch to start and starter maybe wholemeal etc. Makes a really tasty bloomer.

Nah first time - couldn't find any organic grapes/apples in the shop last night so it's just flour. Should i still be feeding every 24 hours at this stage even if there's no action?

If it doesn't look horrible - put it in the airing cupboard needs some warmth to get going.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

yeh keep giving it a 1:1 ratio flour and water, it can take up to a couple of weeks to be fully ready, patience is king with these breads from start to finish:(

Isomac Alba

Elektra Grinder

Flat Whites only baby.

If it doesn't look horrible - put it in the airing cupboard needs some warmth to get going.

yep good tip if you have one.

Isomac Alba

Elektra Grinder

Flat Whites only baby.

My boiler is in the basement so airing cupboard is just a cupboard basically, not much warmer than the rest of the house. Might have to take it round to my old dear's until it gets a bit of life in it

It'll get their just leave it mate.

Isomac Alba

Elektra Grinder

Flat Whites only baby.

f17e56d75f13f9893033efcefa2c2f7d.jpgAnother sourdough offering for this evenings baking, this time I'm using Manitoba flour anyone tried this ? I'll cut into it in the morning for brekkie!

Hottop roaster, Mazzer Super Jolly Areopress, Clever Coffee Dripper