IGNORED

Hello from the Isle of Wight

Don't forget a decent grinder is the advice I would have wanted to take heed of, either second hand or new, as the Machine is at the very end of a long line of variables (but is the most shiny and we all like shiny)

You will see the above mentioned quite often on here so please do factor in the cost of a decent grinder.

Hope of help

John

Thanks all, well I just bought a brewtus from andy (coffeebean). Should hopefully receive it later in the week, a very slippery slope I would say! The grinder will have to wait a month or too, will just have to make do with my hand grinder in the mean time.

Nice to see someone else from my neck of the woods on the forums :-)

Hi El cabron. Who new us caulk heads were so numerous! My head is spinning from all the reading I've been doing the last few days: what grinder should I buy, what water should I use, how often should I descale my machine, how much coffee should I use and how fine should I grind it, how many mls of coffee should I be extracting for a double shot. Already becoming quite obsessed and I'm not allowed to start playing with my new brewtus (which turned up today from Andy) until Christmas! Still at least I've got plenty of time for reading I guess.

I work in a lab so could use our de ionised water, which is pretty close to pure. But have read that some calcium, magnesium etc is good for flavour. So it's bottled which would taste better, or de ionised which means my machine should never need to be de scaled. I guess I'll just try both and see how I feel.

I was the same as you and i bought a shot glass with measured lines for single and double ristretto and espresso which is great for setting your machine up, i just adjusted the grind until i got to the double espresso line in around 25 seconds from 15g of grinds. I became quite nerdy and now i get disappointed by most cafés espresso shots and most of them don't care or put the effort in and i find that me with no barista training can make better coffee than cafés who should be able to do better than me.

Hi El cabron. Who new us caulk heads were so numerous! My head is spinning from all the reading I've been doing the last few days: what grinder should I buy, what water should I use, how often should I descale my machine, how much coffee should I use and how fine should I grind it, how many mls of coffee should I be extracting for a double shot. Already becoming quite obsessed and I'm not allowed to start playing with my new brewtus (which turned up today from Andy) until Christmas! Still at least I've got plenty of time for reading I guess.

Welcome to the forum guys :)

I work in a lab so could use our de ionised water, which is pretty close to pure.

I wouldn't do this, if the water has no minerals then it will leach them from your boiler causing corrosion and a big sad face. Also the compounds in water as you say, are responsible for the extraction of the tasty coffee compounds. Bottle water or a decent filter are you friends here.

I was born on the Isle of Wight. I didn't realise that, given the choice, anyone stays ;)

I'm pleased to see that I am not the only one whose head is spinning whilst attempting to learn all the basics of this new hobby

El Cabron, I like the shot glass idea, will look into that. Do you know of anywhere to get a decent cup of coffee on the island?

Thanks for all the comments about water, i won't be using the de ionised then,I think I will try a few types of bottled water and see how I get on. I have now posted a question in the expobar forum about water and de scaling etc, so hopefully will get some replies there

Hi grumpydaddy, I actually like living on the island, it's a good place to bring up children. I think the main problem is limited scope for employment, and a slight lack in choice in going out.

Stew the guy on ebay still sells the shot glasses. They're made in Milan so no cheap chinese quality. I took the item no. for you, it's 161264338651 and they're £5.99.

As far as coffee on the island goes, i recently posted a reply to the UK coffee map thread regarding the few decent coffee places i've found. Personally i rate the PO41 in Yarmouth next to the post office. I'm in Ryde and the coffee is atrocious and the coffee i make myself is better than any i've bought. I've not been in french francks yet so i can't speak for that place. :coffee:

El Cabron, I like the shot glass idea, will look into that. Do you know of anywhere to get a decent cup of coffee on the island?

Haha and i can't believe that anyone, given the choice, would want to leave the island for Plymouth :p

I moved here 14 years ago and moved from the midlands and it's a different world. Yeh there are some strange characters and there's lots of chavs around but the place itself is beautiful.

I heard a great joke about the island..... Have you seen that new bakery in Wroxall? It's called In-Bread !!!

I was born on the Isle of Wight. I didn't realise that, given the choice, anyone stays ;)

I'm pleased to see that I am not the only one whose head is spinning whilst attempting to learn all the basics of this new hobby

Hi. I moved to the Island in 2006 from the midlands. It's a wonderful place and full of interesting people, some of them a bit strange. I have to say there were a lot of strange people in the midlands....but perhaps those were just the ones that I worked with! Anyway, there is good coffee on the Island if you look hard enough. Stay away from Costabucks in Newport and all those strange little Costa machines that are popping up everywhere. Keep grinding. I prefer to use either a simple filter for my coffee or an aeropress. I don't like cafetieres although I've just bought an espro press. Slightly sharper and cleaner taste but working OK so far.

PO41 is pretty good if you like a darker roast, they use Union coffee.

Dan of Island Roasted coffee does some pretty good filter roasts, although his espresso blend isn't quite to my tastes. Still if you see his coffee is being used in a cafe it can be worth a try. Think Caffe Isola have started serving filter coffee as well but not tried it recently.