so my silvia stood for a while after i had no grinder although once every few weeks i had her on and ran some water from her and steam etc also did some back flushing with just hot water no solution. then last week i used some puly to descale her and proceded with flushing her out after etc. then after couple days of not using her i put her on and heard a little whistling noise.( high pitch squeal) then that went and now between temp surfing etc i can actually hear her heating up similar to limed up kettle but she has always been quiet as a mouse any ideas thanks?

fracino piccino, mazzer mini and a long way to go!!

Limescale on the heating element.

Even a little of it causes noise. In my experience some is almost unavoidable but another descale (perhaps a stronger one) should eliminate the noise.

Rancilio Silvia V3 with Auber PID, Eureka Mignon.

Mine just started gurgling just after steaming light goes out and always taken that as a cue to descale ( ran on either BWT filtered water or Ashbeck, just goes to show even with those you get scale....)

Happens about every 6 months and goes after descale with citric acid.

Let us know if goes after descale.

John

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 90Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Grinders: Flats: Compak R120 - NS Mythos plus Conics: Compak K10PB - Lido 3

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

Water: BWT Bestmax V Refrac: VST III

and a Puq Press not in a pear tree..

its hasnt done the whistling noise again just that once which was actually first use after decale and stood for 3 days. and also only hear noise now nearing brew temp. it just sounds like a kettle boiling but nowhere near as loud. think before was really quiet and got used to that . thanks

fracino piccino, mazzer mini and a long way to go!!

I re read your first post and just for clarity, when you state you used Puly to descale this is not puly caff run either through the group head or in the tank is it?

John

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 90Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

Just checking, as stranger things have been used to try and descale a machine. Whilst puly caff will get rid of oils and general gunk in the brew head, doesn't do toffee for limescale :-)

If using the packets of powder, may not be a strong enough solution if you still getting boiling noises. Had some left over from Gaggia days and found them to not be as effective in the doses on the packet so switched to bulk citric acid descaler, which works better for me.

Apologies if alarmed you

John