Hi, we all know what a Gaggia Classic looks like, but I thought I'd post anyway so you can see how it looks with a Vario Grinder. Photo was taken just before Sunday morning coffee. Sandy you will be pleased to know that my medium Costa cups are warming behind me. :D

CoffeeSetup.jpg

Gaggia Classic, Mahlkonig Vario, Espro Tamper, Bottomless Portafilter, Equal Exchange Italian Beans.

Looking good. Colour co-ordinated too :)

Nice to see the Rancilio Silvia Steam Wand mod there too. Makes all the difference to milk

Home Barista Training - contact me to discuss your requirements

:) You've gotta love Black and Silver. The unit used to have other Kitchen stuff on it, but I commandeered it for my coffee bar. Edited by FurryCup

Gaggia Classic, Mahlkonig Vario, Espro Tamper, Bottomless Portafilter, Equal Exchange Italian Beans.

Nice tidy setup! The grinder looks great. Are you happy with it for the money?

Lee

Coffee consultant, barista trainer & technician based in North Devon!

Email me! Tweet me!

Call me! 07455 188935

Thanks Lee. Well, would I have spent £300 on a grinder before reading forums like this? No way! But I followed advice given on upgrading to a decent grinder before anything else and I am very pleased with my choice. I went for the Vario because it's just so versatile. It is truly user friendly. I would buy it again tomorrow if I had to make the choice again. My only change would be for it to have a shut off on the hopper for changing beans more easily, but that said I get through the few beans I put in at a time very quickly so not really a prob.

Thats the problem I have with my grinder, I only put enough in for the drink I'm making but switching bewen beans means I tend to make a mess, although I've pretty much got the knack of removing the hopper without spillage! I'm serisouly thinking about buying one. AM I right in thinking that it has to grinder adjustments, one course andone fine. I..E. If I'm grinfing for espresso I can switch to a drip grind by using the course adjuster, while leaving the fine (fine tune) adjuster in the same place. Then to go back to espresso again I just put the course adjust back and the "fine tune" remains un-affected?

At the moment I have to spend an age twisting the worm drive on my Innova!!!! Getting it back to espresso and then dialing it in is a right pain!

Lee

Email me! Tweet me!

Call me! 07455 188935

Yes that’s right Lee. Here is a close up of its front panel. The fine adjustment makes a noticeable difference with each movement. There are also grind adjuster screws. Although these should not be needed for a while. Ceramic burrs last half as long again as conventional burrs apparently.

grinder.jpg

Mr Furry, a very nice set up indeed. Very similar to my own.

Fracino Cherub, Malhkonig Vario, Espro calibrated 58mm tamper, Espro jug, ACF cups and Costa lover.

Twitter @MrsSKRobinson

Does indeed look like a very nice set-up, Furrycup.

But Lee, if you're after a Vario, you might want to hang on for a while. I'm actively researching a replacement for mine, and as soon as I do, my Vario will be up for grabs!

Yes that’s right Lee. Here is a close up of its front panel. The fine adjustment makes a noticeable difference with each movement. There are also grind adjuster screws. Although these should not be needed for a while. Ceramic burrs last half as long again as conventional burrs apparently.

grinder.jpg

Thank you for that! MMMMMM it does seem like a pretty good peice of kit. How do you get around the grind-time presets? I.e. if you make an adjustment to a little finer then it will run for the same preset time but obviously dose slightly less? Or do you just dose manually?

Lee

Email me! Tweet me!

Call me! 07455 188935

"I'm actively researching a replacement for mine"

Why is that? Are you not happy with the Vario?

Fracino Cherub, Malhkonig Vario, Espro calibrated 58mm tamper, Espro jug, ACF cups and Costa lover.

Twitter @MrsSKRobinson

You can adjust the three different presets to whatever you want (and store your own values) - and the timing is (allegedly) correct to 0.1 of a second. That said, I don't find that it throws consecutive shots of identical weight - there's more margin of error than the 0.1 sec adjustment suggests.

These are very good grinders - but, for reasons I've mentioned before - they just don't do it for me, and I'm looking at changing mine. There's got to be something out there that is more suited to me.

There are presets when its new, but you can change all these. Adjust grind time, press and hold espresso/filter or press and thats it. You can use all three to grind differrent amounts of espresso if you wish. Or go manual (timer works like a stop watch) or set time and press start as a one off.

Mr Furry, a very nice set up indeed. Very similar to my own.

Thanls Sandy, Yes we do have similar setups. No prob fitting a new HX on a stand alone unit, "You go first".

Don't encourage me!!

Twitter @MrsSKRobinson

A very nice setup indeed. As Lee mentioned in his post, I tend to only put enough beans in for the drinks I am making; the rest remain in the packet, with as much air squeezed out as I can.

Very jealous of the Vario. My MC2 is great for fine adjustment, but not very flexible.

Still learning on... Gaggia TS, Cunill Tauro, PTM Tamper, Motta Tamping Stand and Knock Box, Gaggia Milk Jug and fresh beans!

Thanks Banishment, I will trade you the Vario weekends for a go on your TS. :)

Thanks Banishment, I will trade you the Vario weekends for a go on your TS. :)

Cheeky :p

I'm still learning the TS

Still learning on... Gaggia TS, Cunill Tauro, PTM Tamper, Motta Tamping Stand and Knock Box, Gaggia Milk Jug and fresh beans!