Two new coffees arrived for me from Black Cat a couple of weeks ago...

coffees1.thumb.png.ad2a7ad756f0a42d5c47474038028ab4.png

look at the difference in bean size Guatemala on the left, Nicaragua on the right...

beans1.thumb.png.e6f5320aee18ba4750aacf42e6689b63.png

I decided to brew up the Nicaragua today, sorry for the blurry grind size photo...

1375753998_grindsize.thumb.png.0184881be9a3aedc59bdce4fa9dfc696.png

brewing happily and enjoying the matching mug and v60...

brewing.thumb.png.d3a88a09172bd9fe852b4c12906ed344.png

First brew with this bean so not got the grind size right yet, but a nice coffee, initially quite acidic/bitter, so would probably try brewing a bit coarser next time to see what happens.  But a sweet aftertaste and clean feel.

Thank you @Black Cat Coffee  for more great coffee!

Gareth

Edited by garethuk
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Squaremile, Rwanda, Tumba: Jammy, lime acidity, a coffee & cream finish. Absolutely delicious! :-)

Wilfa flat at 30, 14g coffee, Bartleet 3 hole cone, bloom 30g for 30s (no stir), 00:30 pour up to 90g in a spiral, 1:00 pour up to 150g spiral, 1:30 pour up to 210g starting round the edge, finish down middle. Dry bed in this instance 2:18.

Edited by MWJB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, MWJB said:

Squaremile, Rwanda, Tumba: Jammy, lime acidity, a coffee & cream finish. Absolutely delicious! 🙂

Wilfa flat at 30, 14g coffee, Bartleet 3 hole cone, bloom 30g for 30s (no stir), 00:30 pour up to 90g in a spiral, 1:00 pour up to 150g spiral, 1:30 pour up to 210g starting round  the edge, finish don middle. Dry bed in this instance 2:18.

Have this too! Tasting great in v60/aeropress/french press. Tasting reminiscent of some Kenyans I've had through paper filters, with an intense but delicious acidity. That creaminess is accentuated in French Press though. Very nice!

• Like 1

Its Kenyan, its from cartwheel, its been brewed in an aeropress and its been done with me messing around with a new method idea.... its not brewed well, need to down dose/reduce heat to make the acidity more prominent. I think its a complex bean though, and when nailed i could imagine it slams. ....

EDIT, hmm ok spoke too soon- certainly one which is much tastier as it cools. Still think some tweaks, but some of the grapefruity/blood orange/Chinoto goodness is standing up more (as it would anyway with cooling)

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ethiopian from black cat as an espresso. I can't get over the aroma of florals. Never had anything like this before. Still haven't dialled in properly yet, but still tastes amazing!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I've never ordered from black cat.... hmmm might play around with my subscriptions to make space to get this as an ad hoc

Etiopía Chelichele, washed, Ineffable coffee roasters from Seville, I have a subscription. Each new coffee they send me it's amazing. Next one will be a Honduras with natural maceration.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201114/cedd655cc72c3dda508658a73068c891.jpg

Sent from my ALP-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Its Kenyan, its from cartwheel, its been brewed in an aeropress and its been done with me messing around with a new method idea.... its not brewed well, need to down dose/reduce heat to make the acidity more prominent. I think its a complex bean though, and when nailed i could imagine it slams. ....

EDIT, hmm ok spoke too soon- certainly one which is much tastier as it cools. Still think some tweaks, but some of the grapefruity/blood orange/Chinoto goodness is standing up more (as it would anyway with cooling)

Having another first thing cup of this- changing method again. No bloom (I normally bloom in aero- mainly because I've found it helps ensure you've got space to get the rest of the water in once you've dealt with that co2 surge), much cooler water (apologies I don't use any temp check- i normally go for immediately boiling water though after matt perger wrote a lot about how going hot is fine, and I know hoffman says same; with this i want more of the acidity so I'm starting cooler) and I'm not going to do the experimental thing j did yesterday (i removed the plumger after the flip and let a few drops non pressurised come through- I read it in one of the aeropress champ methods and hoped it might add some slightly less extracted brew to the cup to help things remain sparkly. It didn't so ik not going to bother)

Going for a 10 minute steep- always tempted to push for a 20 but since water is cooler i want to still have something hot actually hit the cup....

Just brewing now

Bang- hits hard straight away with those blood orange/grapefruit/chinotti flavours straight from sip one- still sweet, still got that smoothness that you get from a long steep but there was a 'sludge' 'murk' to yesterdays brew which is now gone.

Theres a cinder toffee/treacle layer to it; dark brown sugar. There's also a slightly malty character too- like a brown ale before its fermented... actually thats a good shout, overall its a bit like a brown ale/light porter with a bigger hop profile than most- then someone's used that beer to make a weird chinotto shandy. Oh, and as it cools more of a cola edge pops in- which is really nice, and perhaps is a flavour which I was picking up anyway with the grapefruit etc and its why my head went to chinotto....

Gosh I love making coffee :/ hahahaha

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201115/08986d7da596b3404ac370326f5357b3.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, simontc said:

Bang- hits hard straight away with those blood orange/grapefruit/chinotti flavours straight from sip one- still sweet, still got that smoothness that you get from a long steep but there was a 'sludge' 'murk' to yesterdays brew which is now gone.

What sort of grind size do you use for your long steeps in the Aeropress?

Pretty fine still to be honest... for these I used my handgrinder, which is a rhino. That I set to the finest- BUT I think my rhino might not be overly healthy as I know people use them for spro and that could never be done with mine (unlike when I had abporlex). I use my sj for aero when others in the house are awake- that sits in exactly the middle position between my generic v60 and generic espresso settings (by which I mean my go to position to start dialing those in from).

Of course some things work better dealt with slightly differently, but this tends to get me something which is gonna taste good enough as a first go - and I mentally note what i think might work better for any given bean the next time I give it a go.

• Like 1

I've got a Rhino handgrinder, but never gone to my finest setting with it - mostly 3/4 of a full-turn for V60/Aeropress.

Going to have a go with a 10 minute steep tomorrow. Did a six minute one earlier, but couldn't hang on any longer! I'd gone pretty fine and was expecting some bitterness, but nothing.

It all came from an interest on the forum in the sowden area years back and people started pushing long steeps generally- some genius tried it in the aero and results were awesome when I gave it a go. Another reason I go in hotter than normal too though... like all things coffee thougj sometimes it doesn't get the best out of certain beans. All part of the fun!!

On 12/11/2020 at 16:17, MWJB said:

Squaremile, Rwanda, Tumba: Jammy, lime acidity, a coffee & cream finish. Absolutely delicious! 🙂

Wilfa flat at 30, 14g coffee, Bartleet 3 hole cone, bloom 30g for 30s (no stir), 00:30 pour up to 90g in a spiral, 1:00 pour up to 150g spiral, 1:30 pour up to 210g starting round the edge, finish down middle. Dry bed in this instance 2:18.

That's the first time I've seen someone describe coffee as tasting like coffee in a long time!