• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve tried to ignore this but i can’t anymore.  This forum has a long and deep history of experimenting and telling each other what we did and how we did it. Sometimes we have something to celebrate

Black Cat Chocolate Point helping me with my first recognisable fern latte art. Taken a few weeks but I think I'm starting to get the feel for milk steaming.

Popped to my local place.  

Posted Images

Had a little bit of the Wush Wush beans and the James Gourmet Ethiopian beans left, so decided to make a blend of 12g James Gourmet and 8g Wush Wush. And it was surprisingly nice - super sweet and fragrant. Will probably never experience it again which is a shame as it was well worth a glug!

Crankhouse, Yenni Esperanza Bermudez, Finca El Paraiso thermal shock Castillo.

Intensly syrupy, sweet. As good a cup as I can remember in last couple of years (mostly the coffee itself, less me).

18g ground on a Lido with Kinu brew burr. Coarser end of drip. V60 02.

33g poured every 30s, each pour taking 15s, start at edge, spiral to centre, pour straight down middle when standing liquid over bed. 270g water in by 3:48, dry bed 4:02.

Not this morning, but Christmas day: Crankhouse, SUDAN RUME NATURAL, VALLE DEL CAUCA, COLOMBIA.

Very clean, sweet orange

Bodum Columbia, French press. 53g ground at 0.88 on Lido 1 (about 11% 400 Kruve), 800g water straight in at boil. Coffee on top, dabbed to wet at surface. Steep for seventy five minutes, clean surface, let settle then pour all cups, dividing equally, bit by bit, not returning pot to fully vertical. 

Edited by MWJB
  • Like 1

Craft House Development Espresso blend, froze it a few months back. Older version which is an Ethiopian/Brazilian blend.

Matches the chocolate, hazelnut and fruity blueberry, heartily recommended even if it is darker than we normally go for nowadays. Espresso at 15g in, 2bar to 2g out and then 7bar to 45g total. Lovely with milk or without.

50781746788_e79af17a2b_b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been on Extract's 'Festive Funka' for the last week and been trying it through numerous devices (V60, Clever Dripper, Aeropress and Moka)

Not a bad introduction to pineapple notes and a nice helping of brandy cream on the back end. Not really picked up on any apple flavours, but it's nice enough as is. Didn't find too much difference between the brewing methods, although the moka with some frothed milk stood out.

20201231_120854.jpg

• Like 3

Roastworks Kenya Kigutha.

A little taken aback by the deliciousness of this Clever Brew, used the following method (218g brew water in this case, but close enough for rock'n'roll).

• Like 1
On 02/01/2021 at 13:46, winterlight said:

I've been on Extract's 'Festive Funka' for the last week and been trying it through numerous devices (V60, Clever Dripper, Aeropress and Moka)

Not a bad introduction to pineapple notes and a nice helping of brandy cream on the back end. Not really picked up on any apple flavours, but it's nice enough as is. Didn't find too much difference between the brewing methods, although the moka with some frothed milk stood out.

20201231_120854.jpg

Have you tried the regular Unkle Funka ? Can you notice much of a difference?

8 hours ago, benjl said:

Have you tried the regular Unkle Funka ? Can you notice much of a difference?

Looks like a cheeky branding twist as the tasting notes are exactly the same! I guess the summer special was never going to work in the winter months, bit the brandy cream notes are great for this time of year. Lovely beans 😋

12 hours ago, Stu Beck said:

Looks like a cheeky branding twist as the tasting notes are exactly the same! I guess the summer special was never going to work in the winter months, bit the brandy cream notes are great for this time of year. Lovely beans 😋

Haha, fair play to them. I did get a 250g bag of Unkle Funka earlier in the year, really liked the sound of it but don't think I ever got a really good shot! I'm still fairly new to the espresso game, trying to figure out how to get the most out of my Gaggia Classic.

6 hours ago, Chris_on_caffeine said:

How was it?

This one was really nice. Roasted for espresso but could have been a bit darker. 

I am not sure if the harder roast would have taken away some of the softer notes.

I am actually positive surprised how this one was. I tried their entry level Ethiopian espresso last week and it was way too light.

At the moment drinking Slurp rare Ninety Plus Lycello washed Gesha which is very lightly roasted. 

the Gesha village was better 

I am waiting for Alexander to start roasting for espresso so I will cancel  the subscription and purchase only espresso roast from Standout coffee in the future 

Cast Iron Coffee's (via Black Mocha, Brighton) 'Bukonzo Dream', Ugandan, natural SL14 & SL28.

Had high hopes after Horsham's remarkable take on it last year but this is really disappointing. Two weeks old when it reached me and already dull so probably shouldn't have frozen it but already had a bag on the go. No idea what went wrong with this but none of the strawberry blast or sugary finish of Horsham's roast and just a bland, sour brew with the occasional hint of sour peach as it cools. Possibly went just a bit too dark? What a shame. May try it as a shot just for the hell of it.

FWIW: the Black Mocha drinking chocolate (70%) that comprised the bulk of this order was delicious! So, chocolate, highly recommended; coffee... not so much.

IMG_0062.thumb.jpeg.a3156655b12570eedfa5a5ef81254d2e.jpeg

Edited by Skizz