Pretty fine still to be honest... for these I used my handgrinder, which is a rhino. That I set to the finest- BUT I think my rhino might not be overly healthy as I know people use them for spro and that could never be done with mine (unlike when I had abporlex). I use my sj for aero when others in the house are awake- that sits in exactly the middle position between my generic v60 and generic espresso settings (by which I mean my go to position to start dialing those in from).

Of course some things work better dealt with slightly differently, but this tends to get me something which is gonna taste good enough as a first go - and I mentally note what i think might work better for any given bean the next time I give it a go.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve tried to ignore this but i can’t anymore.  This forum has a long and deep history of experimenting and telling each other what we did and how we did it. Sometimes we have something to celebrate

Black Cat Chocolate Point helping me with my first recognisable fern latte art. Taken a few weeks but I think I'm starting to get the feel for milk steaming.

Popped to my local place.  

Posted Images

I've got a Rhino handgrinder, but never gone to my finest setting with it - mostly 3/4 of a full-turn for V60/Aeropress.

Going to have a go with a 10 minute steep tomorrow. Did a six minute one earlier, but couldn't hang on any longer! I'd gone pretty fine and was expecting some bitterness, but nothing.

It all came from an interest on the forum in the sowden area years back and people started pushing long steeps generally- some genius tried it in the aero and results were awesome when I gave it a go. Another reason I go in hotter than normal too though... like all things coffee thougj sometimes it doesn't get the best out of certain beans. All part of the fun!!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

On 12/11/2020 at 16:17, MWJB said:

Squaremile, Rwanda, Tumba: Jammy, lime acidity, a coffee & cream finish. Absolutely delicious! 🙂

Wilfa flat at 30, 14g coffee, Bartleet 3 hole cone, bloom 30g for 30s (no stir), 00:30 pour up to 90g in a spiral, 1:00 pour up to 150g spiral, 1:30 pour up to 210g starting round the edge, finish down middle. Dry bed in this instance 2:18.

That's the first time I've seen someone describe coffee as tasting like coffee in a long time! 

Craft House's 'Hutwe', natural bourbon/rumangabo from DR Congo. Tried previously and wasn't keen but forgot and ordered another bag. Aeropress results just as disappointing as last time, regardless of grind or brew time. Sourness (sour plums, maybe?), with no other discernible notes to tempt development with a different approach. May try as a shot to see if anything happens. Otherwise, one for the book of enemies.

EDIT: Just had another glug now it's cooled (to 47C) and there's far less sourness with maybe a hint of the noted nectarine coming through. Still not great though.

Edited by Skizz
  • Like 1

First time giving this stuff a try. So not this morning, but will be in my cup in the morning!

Must say, superb service/delivery... Great packaging and information about each of the coffees. Not cheap, but not crazy either! Let's hope they taste as good as they sound.20201119_204551.thumb.jpg.2488d5792eee20b75402ec847453f455.jpg

• Like 2
On 19/11/2020 at 21:03, arty11 said:

First time giving this stuff a try. So not this morning, but will be in my cup in the morning!

Must say, superb service/delivery... Great packaging and information about each of the coffees. Not cheap, but not crazy either! Let's hope they taste as good as they sound.20201119_204551.thumb.jpg.2488d5792eee20b75402ec847453f455.jpg

Keen to hear your thoughts on these

On 19/11/2020 at 21:03, arty11 said:

How long didn’t it take and waht was the shipping , been a little while since I’ve had any , and there are always great for me .

1 hour ago, Mrboots2u said:

Had a few gardell over the years, top three roasters I’ve tired for me .

I'll have to give them a try. We should all chip in to buy one of their £70 bags and huddle round an espresso machine to see what a sip of this stuff tastes like 😀 

Edited by smokeybarn
2 hours ago, Mrboots2u said:

How long didn’t it take and waht was the shipping , been a little while since I’ve had any , and there are always great for me .

I think the shipping was €8.90 as I specified it as DHL air. It arrived within 24hrs. Could not ask for better... very impressed in all honesry. I don't think that's too bad for the service I received and to be honest you pay not far off that for UK delivery. Obviously, it helps to order several at a time to offset the cost, but I needed a few so all good. 

First impressions... Excellent! Have another few bags to try, but from the first one (and this is only their signature espresso blend) it's a very good first impression. I'm leaving the SO ones to rest for another few days.

So yeah, pretty darn good and certainly worth the delivery costs for the speed of service and quality of the end product. Would absolutely recommend ordering from them. It's not really much more than a decent UK supplier... As long as you don't go for their really 'special rarities'.

Edited by arty11

These are the best light roast I’ve tried. I’ve spent weeks trying to achieve something like the notes on similar roasts without much success. 

Annoyingly this one was spot on first time so I learned nothing. 

Floral and peach - yeah I would agree. 

24DA0661-2D25-4C3A-B8F6-C1449D296791.png

• Like 2

Guatemalan natural from Grumpy Mule via Dog and Hat (one day I'll remember to take a pic before I've started drinking! Maybe after that I'll learn to take a good photo!) I've been massively surprised by this, and this is my third bag this month. I've just opened this (last [emoji17]) bag and put it through the la pavoni, and it's cemented that getting the la pavoni was absolutely the right choice! Lush lime but the sweet sort- like a key lime pie. And I get more cups full as I'm only using 15g at a time! All round win! https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201122/daba45065c42fb32ba0164c97e2af8ec.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Guatemalan natural from Grumpy Mule via Dog and Hat (one day I'll remember to take a pic before I've started drinking! Maybe after that I'll learn to take a good photo!) I've been massively surprised by this, and this is my third bag this month. I've just opened this (last [emoji17]) bag and put it through the la pavoni, and it's cemented that getting the la pavoni was absolutely the right choice! Lush lime but the sweet sort- like a key lime pie. And I get more cups full as I'm only using 15g at a time! All round win! https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201122/daba45065c42fb32ba0164c97e2af8ec.jpg
Are you finding it is extremely staticky ? I've taken to JH's dip a teaspoon handle in water & stir the beans just prior to grinding to ease it. Also only getting 14g into a 15g vst and its still a little overfilled even then. Tasty though...
  • Like 1