Lovely V60 01 of Ethiopia Duromina Limu washed heirloom (adapted April method)

Developed this further than usual primarily for espresso but still comes out clean, soft and juicy - sweet with lime and ginger and a spicy aftertaste that lingers for ages. 

Much preferred to the lungo shot I made yesterday from it. Decent enough but masks the complexity.

• Like 2

Mustefa Abakeno (Ethiopia washed) from Gardelli. First shot - fuck me that's delicious. I do love love love an ethiopian washed and this is up there with some of the best I've had. Orange, lovely lime sweetness (not just acidity) and I think I can see their pomegranate note too. Smells like sweet fudge, not so much on the palate. I think I need to reign in the grind just a tad and then possibly pull a smidgen shorter, the pour was a bit of a mess at the start due to the looseness of the grind and I think I can taste that on the finish.

• Like 1

Having been released from the pleasures of our NHS I decided to treat myself to these, from the depths of the freezer, part of a bulk purchase during b.Friday...
https://kissthehippo.com/collections/coffee/products/china-ou-yang?variant=31048964603947

now sadly unavailable. It sure knocks the socks of that Fortisip mocca, but I have to say that the Fortisip beats the crap out of the supplied coffee [emoji4]7c1353d148eb773b0fd9ef97f7eeeba1.jpgca56a3b5e275d6919bc3a5d16c37c8c3.jpg

• Like 2

Between beans at the minute, so drinking some preground Roastworks Kenyan from Ocado (bought in lieu of a failed attempt to encourage my better half to make her own coffee in the office), 15g in a small Clever, 215g water straight off boil, give a little stir at surface after about a minute, place on cup at 2:30, all done by 4:10.

A bit under (expected, but looking for speed), but enough red fruit/hibiscus like acidity & really, fairly pleasant, if a bit gooey/simple. Will tide me over OK until the beans arrive. Takes me back to my earlier, office brewing days with a Porlex & Clever...like deja vu, all over again :-)

• Like 2

Split shot lungos on the Cafelat Robot this weekend. 17.5g approx dose, 8.5 o' clock on the Hausgrind. 

Rwanda Huye - sweet cherry hint of dark chocolate

Ethiopia Mustafa Abekeno - sweet citrus, kind of "purple" feel about it. Lovely.

So easy to use this machine.

• Like 1

Guatemala El Rincon - washed mix of bourbon and caturra, taste notes of green apple, baked pear, raisins and milk chocolate.

I've only roasted one Guat before which was ages ago and fairly average. In fact it was one of the greens and profiles supplied with the Ikawa Home on purchase.

So I'm experimenting with this one and still some way off perfection.

This morning I made a Kalita 155 and yesterday a V60. This roast seems to have brought out the melanoidins. A hugely chewy, mousse like mouthfeel with some baked pear and good sweetness. I think it is a little baked but still enjoyable in it's own way.

• Like 1

El Salvador, Red Bourbon, Natural from Quarter Horse.

I've tried QH several times before but I think my skill level plus the Mignon/Classic set up meant I couldn't get anything out of the beans. This is the first coffee I've used with my Niche/Bianca which has really tasted like nothing else I've produced before and I'm absolutely buzzing about it

Really packs a fruity punch. I'm not able to say what fruit I'm tasting, but anyway the initial fruit gives way to a lovely brown sugar finish. Also, whereas I've always considered myself a chocolate/nut kind of guy, I'm bowled over by this.

QH had a great selection in and I'm looking forward to using them more now, especially as they're a 5 minute walk from my work. The guys there are very friendly, passionate about what they do and knowledgeable.

fd44f85b586085ab858849a29415fbd8.jpg

• Like 1