Thanks. I'm afraid I don't have any useful insight on the temperature range of a stock Classic. I honestly didn't pay attention until after my thermostat was in a pretty advanced state of failure and clearly needing to be replaced. Up to that point I hadn't planned on adding a PID, but once it became clear that I was going to be buying parts and opening the machine up in any case, I thought I might as well upgrade.

The PID is now installed (took a little over an hour and a half) and seems to be working well, but I don't have a lot to say about its effect yet since I am working with a coffee I haven't tried before and don't really have a before-and-after point of reference. Sometime next week I'll probably be back on one of my usual coffees and then I should have a better idea how much value the PID is giving.

to Osh -- it's still very early days of course but I think this was probably the technically best shot I've ever pulled, with results (texture, look, mouthfeel, overall impression) closer to artisan café quality than I have ever come before. I believe I like the PID.

(Would have added this to the above post but Edit Post seems to be broken for me, though I though it was fixed for others. Anyway, sorry for the double-post.)

Thats great news. Hopefully worth the money! What temp do you set it at?

Will be doing some extensive testing on Sunday with the temperature but I have a suspicious feeling that it's gonna need a new thermostat.

PS Edit only works on Go Advanced.

Thanks for the tip on edit.

For this coffee I have the brewer temp set to 228F right now. (Was 229 this morning and 227 yesterday, so I'm splitting the difference.) That is based on the PID maker's graphs of set temp vs. measured grouphead brew temp on the Gaggia Classic and on the roaster's notes that they like to brew this blend at around 204F. For next week's coffee blend I'll most likely drop it a bit, but I'm still getting to know this thing so I'm far from certain.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome, Roland. I used to buy Finca Vista Hermosa roasted by Barefoot when I was back in the USA. Awfully good stuff, and I'm glad to see it's available here in the UK (I hadn't previously realised that.)

(On a sadder note, I remember FVM from those days especially well because of a tragedy that befell them in early 2008. Barefoot was one of many roasters that donated profits and solicited donations on their behalf. It's a terrible story and I won't say more except that you can do a web search for Finca Vista Hermosa bandits if you wish to.)

Welcome, Roland. I used to buy Finca Vista Hermosa roasted by Barefoot when I was back in the USA. Awfully good stuff, and I'm glad to see it's available here in the UK (I hadn't previously realised that.)

(On a sadder note, I remember FVM from those days especially well because of a tragedy that befell them in early 2008. Barefoot was one of many roasters that donated profits and solicited donations on their behalf. It's a terrible story and I won't say more except that you can do a web search for Finca Vista Hermosa bandits if you wish to.)

I first tried Vista Hermosa from Hasbean (although they're not stocking at the moment) and it was the first coffee I ever raved about. The supply I'm drinking at the moment is from The Coffee Collective in Denmark, although I'd happily recommend trying the international shipping. I ordered at the weekend, they roast on tuesday and I got it on the friday morning. However their website is mostly in Danish only - so a web browser with an auto-translate option is useful...

I appreciate the extra info as well - I wasn't aware of the tragedy.

My brother's brother-in-law (stay with me here) works for the UN in Sudan. He passed me a kilo of green Sudanese beans. I roasted 500g of them yesterday so that's this morning's cup.

I am glad they were free as I am not overwhelmed by them. Quite bitter but no real depth of flavour. I must add that they took a long time to roast so they may well not have been as dry as they could have been.

Not a patch on my usual Sumatran espresso blend but worth a try.

David

Cuba Serrano Superior from MacBeans, Aeropress (Wendelboe "basic filter-like" method). Decently good, but somewhere along the line I have lost some of the promise I tasted earlier in these wonderful beans. I'm still not really good at Aeropress, I think. Time for me to start measuring my temperatures, for one thing. I'm sure I'll get it eventually.

Also a Kenyan - Kenya AA Nyeri, from The Coffee Collective again. Staggeringly fruity - apricot or nectarine or simialr, maybe a little bit of strawberry. Really can't decide if it just isn't too overwhelmingly fruity for me. Enjoying it more brewed slightly weaker than I would normally got for.

Yesterday and today it's Hayes Valley Espresso, a pretty complicated blend from Blue Bottle in the USA.

I'm brewing at the recommended temperature and dosage (21g, yikes) but am not getting the promised depth from this coffee. Actually it tastes a little thin. With luck I will complete the OPV mod on my machine before the bag runs out, and we'll see if that helps.