Good morning, folks! My colleague convinced me to try this coffee with milk. I think it was Caprissimo Belgique. I usually do not drink milk coffees and I make rare exceptions when I drink it but this one was definitely worth a try. 

In the office we have quite old Delonghi coffee machine but it still prepares awesome coffee. :) 

1559637174566.JPEG

• Like 1

North Star Rwanda Huya Mountain here. 

15.4g/48s/35g produced a cup of natural deliciousness. It says in the label macerated strawberries, peach, grape and blueberry. To me it tasted summer fruity, light and with just the right amount of sweetness. 

• Like 2

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

Well today I got my V60 going using Horsham Coffee's 'Rwanda - Liza Thick Natural' with the Scott Rao method (see below for pictures)

Medium grind (setting 22 on Comandante C40), ran through in about 2mins 30secs.  So perhaps need to grind a bit finer next time.

Still very tastie, lovely smooth brew.

Gareth

coffee 1.jpg

coffee 2.jpg

coffee 3.jpg

• Like 2

On 04/06/2019 at 08:04, Planter said:
On 04/06/2019 at 07:21, robashton said:
This stuff is hilariously good, I was looking for something with a little more roast development whilst still being light and knew James Gourmet would fit the bill - my girlfriend pretty much poo poos anything that isn’t a natural coffee and this is what I saw on the shop - an Indian coffee emoji102.pngemoji102.png.
being a James gourmet espresso it’s really easy to dial in, cos once you push it too far you get a bit of roastiness, so I’ve just sat it at 1:3 and slowly come down from 34s to 23s as it gets older - did I say it’s sweet, coz it’s really sweet - I wouldn’t say strawberry like on the packet -  just sweet.
92F205C7-771A-4F3B-A1C1-6C26B98F4DF3.thumb.jpeg.a5b45b4adc0314e2b272bc16e6eddae0.jpeg

James' is local to me and one of my go to roasters. Peter is a proper gent too. Will always show you around and let you try out a few coffees in his fantastic set up out the back if you show enough interest.

Yes indeed, JG was a staple for me last time I was doing coffee with any level of seriousness - I knew that if he’d ordered an Indian coffee that it was going to be worth a punt on (I can say that for maybe 3-4 roasteries in the UK only!)

• Like 1

Tame Barista @ http://tamebaristas.com

Yes indeed, JG was a staple for me last time I was doing coffee with any level of seriousness - I knew that if he’d ordered an Indian coffee that it was going to be worth a punt on (I can say that for maybe 3-4 roasteries in the UK only!)
Totally agree. Never had a bad cup from his picks.

Machine - Currently a Londinium R. Grinder - Niche. Tamper/distributor - Puqpress and Pullman Distribution and Big Step Palm Tamper.

IMG_20190606_105327.thumb.jpg.c9cb147aabd2c0ee49aa4e69989e4117.jpg

I've been roasting several microlots from Cameroon lately. Got them from Coffee Quest in Amsterdam. This one is so clean you'd never guess it was a natural. Light bodied, tea like with a juicy lime acidity and just a hint of chocolate. Kind of Yirg like if you were looking for a comparison. Varietals are Java and typica. 

It's a very interesting origin. Well worth a try if you can find it. Most of the coffee from Cameroon is lower grade but the Boyo area has had some recent investment in training and infrastructure. Coffee was brought here from Indonesia by the Dutch hence the Java and typica varietals are prevalent.

• Like 3

Not sure I get the rum and raisin but a slightly different cup to the normal natural ethiopians. Espresso - Raspberry acidity for sure , then something sweet and deep rich at the end to take it off the normal route .

Roaster - cloud picker. 

IMG_20190606_100210.jpg

IMG_20190606_110225.jpg

• Like 4

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

IMG_2495.jpg Clean and juicy washed Burundian from Curve. Brewed using the@mwjb method for the first time, giving me very good flavour clarity.

• Like 1

Beans>Grinders>Machines

Popped to my local place.

IMG_20190611_110348.jpg

• Like 7

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

2 hours ago, garethuk said:

that is one big cake!!

Yea I know I said that to him yesterday, was really full haha

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

Yea I know I said that to him yesterday, was really full haha

Is that one of Origin's Cornish cafes?

Aldi instant

No they just sell Origin beans it's in Charlestown called Short&Strong

• Like 1

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

20 minutes ago, Jony said:

No they just sell Origin beans it's in Charlestown called Short&Strong

Thanks that's useful to know.  Will check them out next time I'm down visiting my dad.  

I used to jump off the harbour wall in summer after school at Charlestown - a long time ago. 😎

Aldi instant

Norma Iris Fiallos from Honduras, roasted by Holistik

I brewed this using 30g/500g using a Kalita Wave 185 + Behmor Brazen, ground at #14 on the EK43 S, total brew time was 2:30 including :45 pre-infusion. 

Not the most soluble bean, so the TDS/EY was at 1.25%/18.5% - similar to what I got when I did a pour over earlier.

Super clean and transparent cup, flavour wise it has very nice strawberry acidity, lots of sweetness, very delicate cup for a natural and really enjoyed it. Ended up drinking the whole pot at once (probably going to regret it later..). I would maybe increase the intensity a little by grinding slightly finer / increasing the dose for next time.

iGHsefw.jpg?1

bMKHQuy.jpg

• Like 2

What with the next LSOL being at least a week away and Foundry having sold out of Rocko Mountain a couple of weeks ago, my bean stocks have gone all to cock. Getting up at 6 requires coffee so I popped into Waitrose and grabbed some 'emergency' whole beans from Union, a medium roast Ethiopian, Yayu Forest wild arabica. Roast date 10 June so just the ticket for today's espresso. At £5/200g a good price, of which 25p goes to conservation work with Royal Botanical (Kew) to preserve the wild coffee area. A very nice coffee straight or cortado. Need to try Aeropress tomorrow, as I think it'll be lush as brewed.

• Like 4

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Espresso... 

Bolivia Arcangel from Foundry. 

First pass was 18-40.

Very full of flavour but a touch acidic for me. I'll pull a little longer next time to see, and then a pourover for lunch. 

I forgot how good foundry are, I'm gonna enjoy this. 

• Like 1

Hi,

can anyone recommend Beanpress Strada Blend espresso and Jebena Ethiopian Decaff or any of their Brand for an espresso brewing? 

Thanks 

On 17/06/2019 at 10:59, steveholt said:

Espresso... 

Bolivia Arcangel from Foundry. 

First pass was 18-40.

Very full of flavour but a touch acidic for me. I'll pull a little longer next time to see, and then a pourover for lunch. 

I forgot how good foundry are, I'm gonna enjoy this. 

So 18-42 completely tames the acidity and just leaves me with a cup of natural joy.

In pourover form its the same but moderated down and a lovely silky mouthfeel to compensate. 

Work brought me to Sheffield, first 10 minutes in the city and headed straight for @foundrycoffeeroasters. No Callum or Lee to be seen at that one, but still had a delicious Rocko 18-36 31s and got some beans to take home with me.
Next task, find a good bouldering gym.20190620_113027.jpg20190621_080252.jpg

• Like 1

LR - Ceado E37S; Baratza Preciso; Aergrind; Comandante MK3 - Syphon & V60 - patience

Testing the Laurina offering from The Barn here right now. No stock left now, I see, it comes and goes.

This must be the sweetest coffee I’ve tasted for a long time and works for me without milk.

15.5g/48s/38g and then another 60g hot water YUM 😋 

• Like 1

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

Honduras - Caballero from April, my first brews with this didn't taste great but todays was really improved. Used 30g/500g on the Behmor with the Kalita 185 as the basket. 

My wife made it so no idea about TDS / EY, but tasted like milk chocolate with some subtle apple acidity.

• Like 2

Kenya Kirigu AA from Cartwheel - Sweet, clean juicy like a mouthful of wine gums, delicious.

13.5g ground on Zass Panama 5 clicks from burr rub.

Wilfa pourover cone (Bonavita or Clever would be OK too). Bodum small, regular kettle with 227g water weighed out into it.

Bloom 53g 90s with valve shut.

01:10 reboil remaining water.

01:30 open valve and add remaining water in 20-30s, mostly down the middle.

Dry bed 3:15, 20%EY.

• Like 3

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/