Cuba Serrano Superior came to my regular roaster (MacBeans) shortly after I read vintagecigarman's post, so I added a bag of that to my order. Had it as espresso this morning and used it in the presspot for my wife.

As brewed coffee it's extremely nice. As espresso I still have some tweaking to do before I settle on an opinion (also it's very gassy at this point, having been roasted only yesterday).

da Matteo Chelba (pulped natural Yirgacheffe) in Aeropress. Very full bodied, fruity and really sweet.

Does anyone else experience Aeropress as giving much more sweetness than French Press or Eva Solo? It's been a while since I used the Aeropress and was pleasantly startled at the dramatically increased clarity and almost mindblowing sweetness that came through. Perhaps a quality of the coffee or my brewing technique of course...

Or could it be that the increased number of fines in the French press coffee not only changes the mouthfeel but adds a 'dryness' that counters sweetness?

Jon (who is missing having colleagues at work with whom to discuss such nerdy things!)

Glad to hear that someone else likes the Serrano! One of my absolute all-time favourites. It's quite forgiving in a home roast, and has helped me refine my roasting technique with very little wastage, as everything that I've roasted from start of first crack to 10 seconds into second has been totally drinkable.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't had Max in a while now. Last time was the trip to NZ where we got married (I am from NZ originally)

Kerikeri has a few decent cafes and some great vineyards nearby too. Oh and the fishing is amazing... I digress

Today I am enjoying Panama Esmeralda Naranjo, a Geisha varietal, which was Lot 6 from the Esmeralda Special Auction (details here)

This auction lot was purchased by HasBean and it can be found on their website here

Tastewise there is a hint of lemongrass, rounded off with blackberries and a touch of mint, this is a coffee to savour.

Steve scored it very highly and I can see why, it is bursting with flavour. With grapefruit and apricots on the nose there is a very tropical feel to this coffee.

I enjoyed this as an espresso, with a silky sweet taste in milk (as a flat white) and found it also worked well in the Aeropress too

Just back from holiday. Today's cup: Blue Bottle Coffee's 17 ft Ceiling.

It's good. Far from being as delicious as it was at my favourite café of the trip (separate post to come, but I'll note here: LM, Robur, bottomless PFs, and baristas that know how to use all of that to advantage), but good enough considering it's my first attempt with this blend.

The PID kit arrived in my absence and I'll be PID-ing the machine today, then trying some more shots. With 8 time zones' worth of jet lag to combat, it's probably a good day for it.