Rocko Mountain Original ™ - for me (today) it's been a Spro, my version of a flat white and Brazen Behmohr brew, not where I want with the Behmohr but will keep trying and better spro today but think I need to find the sweet spot still. Made my girlfriend a lattucino and was informed it's was the best coffee I'd made her so far!

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve tried to ignore this but i can’t anymore.  This forum has a long and deep history of experimenting and telling each other what we did and how we did it. Sometimes we have something to celebrate

Black Cat Chocolate Point helping me with my first recognisable fern latte art. Taken a few weeks but I think I'm starting to get the feel for milk steaming.

This is a cracking bean, and you really can get the notes creamy chocolate orange Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Posted Images

I've got the La Cabra Kenyan stuff on the V60 via the EK43 as I'm home again.

Gonna say something daft now, I preferred it on the Lido3 with 300TDS south-coast water, it had so much BOOM to it.

There, I said it.

On my second bag of Rocko Mountain, first ever coffee I've bought twice... My advice to those struggling with brewed is to grind finer - I've gone finer with these beans than I've ever gone on my Chemex, but I find it helps get out the sweetness, and with these beans I think you'd struggle to get bitterness even if over-extracted/too fine.

This may help with those being underwhelmed! Second time around, I've noticed RM has a wonderful mouthfeel to it that I'd not really picked up before; was using some dodgy bottled water today so didn't get as much sweetness as hoped but still enjoyable.

Edited by YerbaMate170

YES YES YES YES YES

kenyanaa.jpg

I've not really been enjoying this one as a filter but this spro has just rocked my morning big time. (And in milk, fuawwwaaaaaaaaaaaa a fruity heaven).

22g in, 62g out over 36s (yeah, new baskets mean MEGA GULP SPRO, haters gonna hate), 23% EY.

Tastes pretty much spot on the notes - it has such a wonderful mouthfeel for something with less than 8.5 TDS, and it sings sweet fruits all the way to the bottom of the cup (yes, I downed the whole 62g shot and then split another one with milk - I am now dancing)

Third spro I've dialled in entirely by taste in a row and then verified after with the refrac, I'm starting to be able to taste both sides of my ideal point on the EK (over-extraction not presenting as bitterness as such, just undesired intensity to the point of muddiness).

22g in, 62g out over 36s (yeah, new baskets mean MEGA GULP SPRO, haters gonna hate), 23% EY.

Out of interest, new baskets being the 22g guessing VST rather than a diferent make?

Out of interest, new baskets being the 22g guessing VST rather than a diferent make?

Yup, grabbed the 15, 20 and 22g baskets to complete my collection - I want to play with both ends of the ratio spectrum next week, got another 2 kilo of coffee in for this purpose.

Really loving the Skybury dark roast..

51695D76-B0BB-4355-9CA4-A386E5E01387_zpsotpsxtcg.jpg

Be a sad day when I finish it, although I've still got the medium to start..

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3  + Niche

Output: Slayer One Group + La Pavoni + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

http://www.maudecoffee.co.uk/collections/coffee/products/girma-edema-ethiopia

wow, this was definitely worth going over budget for. Beautiful depth of flavours. Can't put my finger on exactly what those flavours are, but this is stonkingly good!

Strange I thought no tasting notes as such then tucked at the bottom, blueberries and maple syrup - sounds great [emoji3]

On my second bag of Rocko Mountain, first ever coffee I've bought twice... My advice to those struggling with brewed is to grind finer - I've gone finer with these beans than I've ever gone on my Chemex, but I find it helps get out the sweetness, and with these beans I think you'd struggle to get bitterness even if over-extracted/too fine.

This may help with those being underwhelmed! Second time around, I've noticed RM has a wonderful mouthfeel to it that I'd not really picked up before; was using some dodgy bottled water today so didn't get as much sweetness as hoped but still enjoyable.

You can go too fine, I jumped the nice place in a several moves of the grind in one go effort and landed in not really any flavour to speak of land. A little drying but not bitter.

Backed off and a bit better but I'm starting to wonder if the bags slightly too old to get the very best out of it - roasted 18 Sept. Opened this one couple of days ago.

Ditto Huehuetenango but plantation unspecified so it's prolly a mish-mash. Roasted by Lugat chez Maxicoffee.

"Expect flavour of coffee" is something they never put, it's always a flavour of what it's not. In this case "fruit & spices". Not sooooo far off, though I couldn't say which. Nice but spreading warmth in gut didn't come from calories.

Smokey Barn Yirgacheffe Guji 18g=>35.5g in 32 secs. Black currents / Berrys which are overpowered by citrus and lime.

61474d2cc7467fbb5c83bf21c7d09f84.jpg

I can see the fight was savage!! I get nuclear cups like that.

Overpowered in a good or bad way?

I think I've gone off naturals a bit since Sang Ho's talk at Barista camp and the cupping bowls of doom (defects, fermentation specifically).

Which is a shame because I have 1.5 kilos of natural longberry from limoncello I was going to use in my next round of experiments and I'm tasting it and all I can think of is that horrible bowl of defect.

I think it's probably a good coffee, it tastes like rotten fruit this morning though, oh dear.

HasBean Nicaraguan Finca Limoncillo Natural Pacamara through syphon. 28.5grms > 500grms in 2 min 45sec. Extraction yield 20.36% Cherry giving way to pineapple acidity in back of throat with huge mouthfeel. Interesting dry caramel feel in mouth afterwards. Going to run it through the Sowden tomorrow to see how a non-paper filtered brew tastes. Stunning coffee.

Norėčiau juodos kavos