• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve tried to ignore this but i can’t anymore.  This forum has a long and deep history of experimenting and telling each other what we did and how we did it. Sometimes we have something to celebrate

Black Cat Chocolate Point helping me with my first recognisable fern latte art. Taken a few weeks but I think I'm starting to get the feel for milk steaming.

This is a cracking bean, and you really can get the notes creamy chocolate orange Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Posted Images

Flat white using 3 week old http://www.hasbean.co.uk/products/ethiopia-yirgacheffe-kebel-aricha-natural

my my my , how delicious . Its settled down quite a bit , wasn't a huge fan in the first week.

This can only be described as a blueberry and malted milk ice-cream pie in a cup!

18g->45g->27sec

6oz not neutral

Waitrose duchy organic steamed to about 55c

Perfection .

Just split one. Got exactly where your coming from and the cortado just made me go oh it's a blueberry custard cream.

Flipping lush, I am definitely

definitely going try a larger ratio lone cortado.

21379640063_8a6ae1b5c6_k.jpg

Mine was roasted 25th if that makes any difference.

Right just had a double shot cortado of the Kebel Aricha. Oddly for me especially it doesn't work as well as the split as it lost the custard cream part and the funk of the blueberry alone wasn't enough.

Something to do with the coffee to milk ratio then.

For the first time in a long while I am going to make a flat white as compared to the split shot the ratio evens out and a bigger blueberry custard cream is appealing, but that's tonight.

Ah - so that Kenyan from IMM is a biatch in the V60 - can't keep the time up and EY up - I have to drop back a whole 2 digits on the EK to do most other coffees in about three minutes! Maybe it just needs a bit more time..

I've got that Ethiopian IMM through the v60 this morning, it wasn't what I was expecting, I can see the apricots and I can see that it's "soft" but Jasmine? Maybe if I squint - it is 9am though and I did just brush my teeth, I would say that this coffee is a bit minty.

Ah - so that Kenyan from IMM is a biatch in the V60 - can't keep the time up and EY up - I have to drop back a whole 2 digits on the EK to do most other coffees in about three minutes! Maybe it just needs a bit more time..

I've got that Ethiopian IMM through the v60 this morning, it wasn't what I was expecting, I can see the apricots and I can see that it's "soft" but Jasmine? Maybe if I squint - it is 9am though and I did just brush my teeth, I would say that this coffee is a bit minty.

I recently had a coffee like this from Sundlaug. Had to go super fine to get a pour over at my usual EY. I then found that I could take the EY way way higher than normal and it still tasted great.

The Kenyan worked well for me with Perger method but had to be careful or it ended up a bit drying. My fault obviously, but not sure what was causing it.

The Ethiopian I was getting a sort of jasmine but only when I cupped it when it was brand new, never managed to achieve it with a brew or spro. I finished it off this morning in a v60 (not enough left for a spro) and it was mega sweet and fruity.

Just ran that Ethiopian through as a spro and I'm in a pretty happy place. Making the decision a few weeks ago to just say sod it and pull things to roughly a 1:3 ratio has made espresso super easy at my house (19g in, 53g out for this one, 22% EY means still a decent mouth feel as a spro).

Ended up split shotting it and making a flat white, or I'd have just downed the spro and been bouncing all afternoon - wow it is so good to be back and drinking proper espresso again.

Making the decision a few weeks ago to just say sod it and pull things to roughly a 1:3 ratio has made espresso super easy at my house

What made you change your mind?

What made you change your mind?

I'm not sure I posted this anywhere but basically I bought 1.5kg of the same bean (the pulped natural longberry from limoncello) and sat there dialing in by taste at various ratios and then measuring EY.

I came to the following conclusions

- You still get a higher TDS at 1:3 with the EK than most shops around Glasgow do at 1:2 (so mouthfeel is still there)

- You're not fighting grind size if you're aiming for 1:3 (with most beans anyway)

- Consistency seems to be up when you're aiming for 1:3 as a couple of grams either side make very little difference to flavour or EY

- I can taste more at 8tds than I can at 9.5-10tds anyway, and my perception of sweetness at this level is a lot more pronounced

Should probably point out that none of these are "gushers", I tend to be between 27s and 33s for most of the beans I've dialled in so far at this ratio

When I made a colleague the final result of this experiment with the longberry he asked me "Have you put sugar in this?", because it was no holds barred stupid sweet - I then copied this across with a few other beans I had lying around and noticed the same perception of sweetness (although I had to tweak time for each one to keep EY sensible). (I'm using magic water too so it tends to bring out some pretty ludicrous flavours)

Seems that this is the same conclusion that most EK owners come to eventually one way or another (Folk's feedback on here pushing me that way constantly), having numbers to back it up is really useful - one of my main blockers was when mentioning this sort of ratio to most baristas I get a look of scorn "won't it be too weak", and then not trusting my own taste buds to refute this statement.

I like measuring things.

I'm getting some larger baskets in next week and committing to 1:3 with 22g doses, this should mean being able to do proper split shots at home instead of sipping my fill and then topping up with milk haha.

Edited by robashton

- Consistency seems to be up when you're aiming for 1:3 as a couple of grams either side make very little difference to flavour or EY

- I can taste more at 8tds than I can at 9.5-10tds anyway, and my perception of sweetness at this level is a lot more pronounced

I do agree on these points, although for 'doubleshot' milky drinks I prefer to keep yield around 45g max. Lower the TDS anymore and it gets a little wishy-washy.

I do agree on these points, although for 'doubleshot' milky drinks I prefer to keep yield around 45g max. Lower the TDS anymore and it gets a little wishy-washy.

Makes sense - I'm not big on milky drinks so it's not really a priority - the goal should be to keep punchy flavour in the milk I guess. (Not achieving that at my current recipes - not with the washed coffees anyway)

@smokeybarn Nicaragua Las Morenitas.

52393c27d4c13a6ebc68c42d2058b968.jpg

0b53e9cf736d8581f6d2440d06d9d5da.jpg

First go with these after waiting patiently for them to reach a fortnight from roast date. Probably need to go a tad finer but first cup...tasty! Been on the wagon for months but back to my fave tasting notes. [emoji4]

Last years crop of Foundry Rocko (yeah I know I only just tried some)

20g > 44g > 33secs

Massive red berry sweet with some light to medium acid, real full creamy mouth texture. The least aggressive most easy going crema I have possibly come across to date. Really nice. Going to cut it short next shot purely for my own preference next time as think it may suit my tastes.

One of the most forgiving beans on dialing I have come across also!! All in all very nice.

Now sat with a brew of Has Bean Kebel Aricha.

Blueberry blueberry BLUEBERRY!

Overall and outstanding fruity start to the morning!!

EFEBAE85-D44C-45CC-A679-41EEC82F3E7E_zps88ldzoi7.jpg

Squat tulip in a vase..

Skybury dark roast.. (and it is dark!!)

Made a spro (15>32) and after tasting this months LSOL as a filter, this one pummelled my mouth with an intense hit of caramelised richness. On the brink of being burnt - the roast seams to have been stopped just right. The grinds clumped and fell out of the grinder. Very shiny beans, but spot on!

As a flattie, the richness is still there. Sweeter and buttery but still giving that dark, heavy mouthfeel. Nice start to the morning.

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3  + Niche

Output: Slayer One Group + La Pavoni + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..