The two from Papercup I have.

Ethiopia Ocho Hugesa as a chemex really rate it, lovely fruity and crisp fresh. Still loving it.

Kenyan Asali AB is just a touch to dark in roast. Have tried alsorts of variants but ended up at 18g>36g>34secs and pulling a quite definite citrus twang to it now with the caramel but still that background smokey roast. Didn't make a particularly nice cortado as a split at earlier recipes yesterday, got a bit lost in the milk but will try as a stand alone one and see what I get.

It's not a bad just a case of a tad to dark for me, such a tiny edge of smokey running round my mouth in the background making me 'resort' rather than just use milk.

Saturday's postie brought a bumper bag of stuff , so will be a bit of variety going on this week...

Into the black sealed bag from Scotland @jeebsy thanks and its Mexican ?

Chemex - nice syrupy body, citrus in the there ( orangey, apricot too more than lemony ) . Sweet not sour or acidic that nice mouthfeel gives a good balance ... theres a sweetness there that really pleasant but not anything specifc like chocolate or caramel...like a not too sharp marmalade.

Not bad at all , drunk it all , promising .....

Foundry Kenyan Gathongo 3 ways:

25g/450g Waitrose essential @93C into v60 02; 30g bloom for 30s, up to 150g by 1min, slight tap to settle bed, @1m15 start to pour up to 300g, complete by 1m45, @2m15s start to pour in remainder up to 450g by 2m45, all out at 3m47s. Number 7 on a Lido 3 where zero is -0.8. Cooled down,no milk, Nuts a plenty ( ?) sweet fruits and very clean, got better as cooled right down

Spro: 18.5g into 39g in 33s trying to follow Foundry recipe, huge fruits intially coming across as sharp but cooled down nuts and fruit coming back.

Flattie: 18.5 into 38 in 31s cravendale blue, Nuts, with a fruity back taste but sweeeeeeeeeet. Nom. Sarah really liked this one the morning and requested another straight away (high praise and even tried the v60, which is unusual and had to prise it back!)

Very nice this one.

John

@johnhealey the Kenyan can take a coarser grind , its easy to over extract ....for the sro, its worth pulling it into a cool cup or cool PF ( if you cant change the extract temp ) , can change the percieved acidity ( @Garydyke )

Agree though this has been a winner for sure ...

Thanks Martin and agreed on the cooler cup, just done a split pour and much less acid coming through as cups hadn't had time to heat up on the top ( 150ml D'ancaps from BB)

Will forgive the H added to my name as the advice was good :act-up:

John

Thanks Martin and agreed on the cooler cup, just done a split pour and much less acid coming through as cups hadn't had time to heat up on the top ( 150ml D'ancaps from BB)

Will forgive the H added to my name as the advice was good :act-up:

John

:) sorry predictive typing .

Enjoy the coffee ...

Yeah, trick with papercup is to buy the light ones!

Bit confused as thought I had ordered a light espresso roast and a filter roast.

Ordered spro roast Kenyan Asali AB just went back to check on order not going mad and yep that's it but when I click on link from order KENYA GITHIGA AB- WASHED comes up lol still listing as light spro roast. Guess they ran out of what I had a week ago.

Probably just a case of what they think of as a light roast isn't the same as I do. As soon as I opened this bag I was, oh that's a darker side of medium to look at then tasted and was yep tad roasty.

Would never knowingly buy a dark again as they just don't give me a grin drinks and milk ones have just become a let's see drink......or escape route.

Edit: just grabbed a handful of the Ethiopian and same of Kenyan and the Ethiopian looks a slightly darker colour and is lovely light and no roasty in the Chemex. Just shows you can't go on looks only taste really.

I may try them in role reversal just to see what I get, not expecting to get rid of the slight roast edge on the Kenyan in the Chemex just out of pure curiosity.

Edited by Sk8-bizarre

Saturday's postie brought a bumper bag of stuff , so will be a bit of variety going on this week...

Into the black sealed bag from Scotland @jeebsy thanks and its Mexican ?

Chemex - nice syrupy body, citrus in the there ( orangey, apricot too more than lemony ) . Sweet not sour or acidic that nice mouthfeel gives a good balance ... theres a sweetness there that really pleasant but not anything specifc like chocolate or caramel...like a not too sharp marmalade.

Not bad at all , drunk it all , promising .....

@jeebsy finished the lot. As it cooled down even more was really enjoyable.. Went just a tad finer that my normal chemex grind

I generally just buy on tasting notes and where listed go by a roast being of light/medium. Obviously not all places list the type of roast but will have tasting notes of some degree.

With citrus, caramel in the tasting notes along with it being listed as a light roast I thought I was playing it pretty safe haha not safe enough it seems.....

Buy most beans that are listed as spro or spro suitable as that's my main thing and only just started buying filter specific due to now having a Chemex.

Will just put it down to making a error for my tastes this time and getting 'burnt'......boom boom ;)

every espresso roast Ive come across has been a compromise on the coffees actual characteristics to make it a bit 'easier to deal with' . Think michelin star meal being presented already cut-up into bite-size pieces by the waiter and the chef thought you'd digest the steak easier if he cooked it medium rather than your requested medium-rare.

every espresso roast Ive come across has been a compromise on the coffees actual characteristics to make it a bit 'easier to deal with' . Think michelin star meal being presented already cut-up into bite-size pieces by the waiter and the chef thought you'd digest the steak easier if he cooked it medium rather than your requested medium-rare.

How do you distinguish between a coffee's "actual characteristics" and roast/brewing preference?