dfk41

New Sage little machine

Hi dfk41, purchased this machine a few days ago fine tweaking my shots at the mo, your extraction with the jampit was that using pressurised or unpressurised baskets?

I have adjusted the grind a bit coarser, weighed 15 gems in with a light tamp. With the perfusion running to bout 9 seconds and the drink starting to pour at 12 seconds and finishing at 30, it extracted roughly 28 gms of Jampit. The pour was quite thick and was actually very tasty. it is the first time I have pulled a shot with a bit of care........quite impressed by it tbh

I would guess unpressuried

it was the unpressurised ones. throw the pressurised ones away!

I'm wondering when The Infuser model will hit the UK. It seems to me to be the Barista Express without the grinder and more of a contender in comparison with a Silvia or Classic...

http://www.brevilleusa.com/the-infuser-bes840xl.html

My thoughts exactly, would like the option of seeing the pressure at extraction as well as being able to control temperature to some degree. Infuser looks like a much better option.... if available

My thoughts exactly, would like the option of seeing the pressure at extraction as well as being able to control temperature to some degree. Infuser looks like a much better option.... if available

Unsure what you mean here ? you mean you want to be able to adjust pressure via an opv.. or adjust it as a variable at brewing ?

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

The Infuser (as well as the Barista Express) are advertised by the fact you can see the pressure at the point of extraction, this is so you can learn how to pull a good shot (right pressure equals right grind/tamping). The Infuser also allows you to change the temp through the PID (4 ° either way).

Bear in mind I have no experience with making espresso and this is all through watching video reviews and reading through forums so happy to be schooled if I'm wrong.

If I am correct the OPV mod done on machines like the classic negate this feature as you cannot over pressurise the puck, am I correct inn this assumption/

Isomac Alba

Elektra Grinder

Flat Whites only baby.

If I am correct the OPV mod done on machines like the classic negate this feature as you cannot over pressurise the puck, am I correct inn this assumption/

It doesn't necessarily negate the function. You can be reasonably confident that if you set your Classic at the right pressure you will be getting this pressure each time you brew. But having it readily observable means you can see if the pressure changes and immediately correct it. If there are other functions on the machine that allow for pre-infusion the gauge will give you visual feedback about what is going on.

It's just that I did the OPV mod, set at 10bar and also fitted a gauge, but when brewing gauges goes up to 9-10 bar anyway, I did consider raising the pressure to say 12-13 so I could read the pressure but thought that 10 bar setting was the best method going by threads on the forum, that's all

Isomac Alba

Elektra Grinder

Flat Whites only baby.

The mod may or may not negate the need for a dial, but for newbies who want to retain their warranty on the Breville the dial looks like it would be a great help and makes the Infuser more likely to be my bag than the duo (assuming they would both be available in the UK)

The mod may or may not negate the need for a dial, but for newbies who want to retain their warranty on the Breville the dial looks like it would be a great help and makes the Infuser more likely to be my bag than the duo (assuming they would both be available in the UK)

What you mean is it looks cool.......that's why I fitted one on the Classic? I was going to buy the Sage. Who doesn't like gadgety gadgets?

Isomac Alba

Elektra Grinder

Flat Whites only baby.

Indeed looks cool, most important thing about gadgets!

Maybe someone more experienced can advise me if the pressure gauge on a barista express, double boiler or infuser does indeed help with learning how to dose and tamp or is Mr Heston pulling on over on us all?

It's just that I did the OPV mod, set at 10bar and also fitted a gauge, but when brewing gauges goes up to 9-10 bar anyway, I did consider raising the pressure to say 12-13 so I could read the pressure but thought that 10 bar setting was the best method going by threads on the forum, that's all

I'm not sure I fully understood your post... but I'll add this...

You can, for example, use the steam knob on the Classic to adjust the pressure whilst you brew, when you open it the brew pressure drops. So having a gauge on your Classic would allow you to do this with feedback as to what pressure you were hitting.

Indeed looks cool, most important thing about gadgets!

Maybe someone more experienced can advise me if the pressure gauge on a barista express, double boiler or infuser does indeed help with learning how to dose and tamp or is Mr Heston pulling on over on us all?

I cannot see how dosing or tamping will be aided by a pressure gauge.

I'm not sure I fully understood your post... but I'll add this...

You can, for example, use the steam knob on the Classic to adjust the pressure whilst you brew, when you open it the brew pressure drops. So having a gauge on your Classic would allow you to do this with feedback as to what pressure you were hitting.

Didn't realise that Dylan, thanks, just the OPV mod is so popular but fitting a gauge isn't. Thought it was just people like me who thought it looks good.

Isomac Alba

Elektra Grinder

Flat Whites only baby.

Okay so watch the following and tell me if it's true or false.... like a game but with no prizes :(

http://youtu.be/H8oebIqeC3k

To be honest that was the machine I was going to buy and the gauge looked as though it was an excellent training tool. So I think along the same lines as you TBH.

Isomac Alba

Elektra Grinder

Flat Whites only baby.

Okay so watch the following and tell me if it's true or false.... like a game but with no prizes :(

http://youtu.be/H8oebIqeC3k

I could be missing something here, but here is my takeaway.

In that video he shows two situations where the machine is unable to achieve pressure because there is not enough resistance in the basket. Once the machine reaches brew pressure it stays there, thats what the OPV is for. If your dose and grind are in the ballpark at all your brew pressure is not going to tell you anything meaningful, its just going to tell you its at pressure.

Saying all that it is very common for a new user to get their brew ratios completely wrong, extracting too much too quickly, so I guess in this situation the gauge not reaching pressure may be a good indicator that something is up.

And I'm fairly sure a big part of having gauges is so your machine looks nice :)

And I'm fairly sure a big part of having gauges is so your machine looks nice :)

+1:)

Isomac Alba

Elektra Grinder

Flat Whites only baby.