I personally don't back anything on crowdfunding sites...but I do see mention from time to time about them. I thought the links below might be interesting reading.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/10/the-ugly-afterlife-of-crowdfunding-projects-that-never-ship-and-never-end/

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

Food for thought Dave. I haven't been seduced by any crowdfunding offers so far and after reading that I don't think it's very likely in the future.

Rocket Giotto Evoluzione v2, Eureka Zenith 65E, Niche grinder, Pharos grinder with VoodooDaddy mods, Eureka MDL, Torr Goldfinger, Smart Tamp. Various coffee stuff.

Just for a bit of balance , there are success stories from kick starter too.

There are Also ones that have gone wrong too.

That's the risk . I've backed one that looks like it might not happen , that's the risk you take .

I backed cup north on kickstarter and others here backed the acia scale which went into production .

Up to each individual to decide if a project is worth backing or not and whether they can afford to loose the money

In these days it is increasingly difficult to go to a bank and raise money for a project ( especially so in the UK ) .

Not everyone has access to companies to help push their ideas along or built up contacts and experience to open doors to to their ideas .

It's here to stay , as a way of reaching people with ideas and raising cash, it's a new generation and a new technological revolution coming with 3d printing and the like .

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/apr/17/kickstarter-crowdfunding-technology-film-games

Edited by Mrboots2u

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Its good to see some projects get funded and do good things, like CupNorth.

But then when you scan through some of them, you just want to tell people to get a job and fund it themselves...

Twitter @Froggystyle

Its good to see some projects get funded and do good things, like CupNorth.

But then when you scan through some of them, you just want to tell people to get a job and fund it themselves...

Agree, shouldn't put people off looking and funding the good ones though .

Dylan's sister raised money thro kick starter for her magazine which I must say was very good 1st issue

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

I have read about these before, and it is unsurprising that there are failures. I would't invest unless I was prepared for a project to go bad, its a possibility and you have to weigh the risks, if successful you get a product at toward half the market cost.

There is obviously scope for people to screw over backers, and not put in the effort and time getting a new product to market needs. But if I lost out on money because a business went belly up, due to reasons out of their control then I wouldn't trow my toys out of the pram, and it wouldn't stop me 'taking the risk' on other projects.

I suppose the thing with this is that banks will expect to see a serious business plan with proper financial projections, they'll want to know the person/company's history (experience, credit etc), they'll look at what security can be offered and then they'll weigh up the level of risk. Unsurprisingly, some of the ideas that end up on crowdfunding sites do not pass muster from the banks' perspective. As a crowdfunder, you're likely not to have access to that level of info and zero security. The whole thing works totally on trust as far as I understand it, and heaven knows the internet is full of untrustworthy people. It's a risk I'd be loathe to take based on the offer of a discount on a non-extant cool gadget, and it's very much caveat emptor. Still, some good does come out of it as has been demonstrated, and if the right people (who can afford to take the risk) pick the right projects the world is enriched by great ideas.

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

I've backed loads of kickstart projects and really like supporting projects which interest me!!

An espresso machine and a grinder - who wants to read a whole list?

Show me one for a low retention powered grinder with big conical burrs and I might get interested!

Rocket Giotto Evoluzione v2, Eureka Zenith 65E, Niche grinder, Pharos grinder with VoodooDaddy mods, Eureka MDL, Torr Goldfinger, Smart Tamp. Various coffee stuff.

I'm not so sure that would have the mass market appeal to get funded on KS Rob! ;)

I've had good experiences with kickstarter. Like David, if something catches my eye and is useful or worthy I'll pledge something. I would have pitched in for the magazine that Dylan's sister has started if I had known about it. Most recently we pledged to fund a sister restaurant to a great place in Chester (Sticky Walnut in Hoole) we go to when we see my Mum. The funding buys us a meal for two when it opens. With kickstarter you don't pay anything unless the project reaches its target funding. I suppose there is no absolute guarantee that you might not get ripped off in one way or another - as yet it's not been my experience.

I've had good experiences with kickstarter. Like David, if something catches my eye and is useful or worthy I'll pledge something. I would have pitched in for the magazine that Dylan's sister has started if I had known about it. Most recently we pledged to fund a sister restaurant to a great place in Chester (Sticky Walnut in Hoole) we go to when we see my Mum. The funding buys us a meal for two when it opens. With kickstarter you don't pay anything unless the project reaches its target funding. I suppose there is no absolute guarantee that you might not get ripped off in one way or another - as yet it's not been my experience.

http://www.biosphereonline.com/product-category/subscriptions/ :angel: