Picked up a Mazzer Major Automatic a few weeks ago and decided to fit a timer relay. Auberins do two - one which fits inside the grinder and the other which is the same timer unit but fitted in a stand alone box which is much easier to fit as it doesn't require any drilling or major wiring. Price for the stand alone unit are just over £100 and £50 for the built in unit.

First job was to cut a square out of the sides of the Major. Used a Dremel fitted with fibre glass cutting disc. Did the job surprisingly easily - biggest worry was the drill's torque causing the disc to slip and damage the surrounding surface. Finished cutting out the corner edges with a hand held jig saw blade. Prior to cutting the hole out, packed the inside of the grinder with paper and cling film to prevent shards getting into the motor.

Dremel.jpg

Next job was to drill three holes for the momentary switches - two timed and one for manual. The holes are 16mm so I discounted using a straight drill as, again, I was worried the drill bit might slip and cause damage to the surrounding area. Used a 16mm hole saw like this.

Hole saw.jpg

The hole saw attaches to an arbor which hold a pilot drill bit. This keeps the hole saw from slipping or wandering whilst drilling out the hole. End result.

Switch holes.jpg

Really pleased with the result. Next step was wiring the timer and switches - more of that later. Would like to say thanks to Callum and Coffeechap for their patience and guidance on the correct way to wire up - suffice to say the Auberins wiring instructions aren't exactly detailed.

Relay hole.jpg

Edited by The Systemic Kid

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

nice, looking forward to seeing how this goes. I'd love a timer on my SJ

Mazzer Super Jolly - Expobar Brewtus IV-R - Knock 58.35mm Tamper - 17g LM Strada - IMS Screen - Inker Cups

Inside the Major, there's enough free space to site the timer unit which is pretty big, depth-wise - will upload some pics tomorrow showing how deep it is. Had to move the capacitor though.

I used a 16mm regular drill for my SJ, I pre-drilled the centre of the hole with a much smaller dremel bit beforehand to prevent any slipping. No major difference in the outcome :)

Love seeing these sort of projects - keep the updates coming

Looking very neat so far Patrick, looking forward to see how this progresses.

DE1Pro, EK43 SSP, bloody tasty coffee!

GrindScience.com - My blog of coffee related ramblings

Should have used a tapered shanked 16mm steel bit would have given a cleaner cut, buttons will cover it all though.

Looking great Patrick!

Londinium R - Mahlkönig EK43

Making coffee can be that great...

@obsessivity

Should have used a tapered shanked 16mm steel bit would have given a cleaner cut, buttons will cover it all though.

Looking great Patrick!

Love it when real engineers start talking shop:)

You fully sorted all the wiring and found the notorious switching circuit? I forget every time.

Should probably write it down...

Londinium R - Mahlkönig EK43

Making coffee can be that great...

@obsessivity

Finally did - with a little guidance from you and Coffeechap and a multi-meter to be absolutely sure.

Saw these timers at the Titan event , really nice mod on the mazzer's , the robur which Callum was using to make every one and his dog a drink was flawless and adjustment as he showed took very little effort .

hoping to do this for myself one day . Just waiting for the right grinder to come along .

¿ ǝsǝɥʇ pɐǝɹ ǝuoʎuɐ sǝop

Managed to wire up in between baking bread. The Auberins wiring instructions are confusing which had me scratching my head. The seem to suggest there are two wires from the Major's switching circuits going into the relay when, in fact, there is one. This diagram shows what Auberins suggest and what you actually need to do.

Major Colour Wire Diagram.jpg

Once this is figured out, it's straightforward. Relay intrudes into the grinder's body by 80mm - not a problem for the Major but could be for smaller grinders. Had to relocate the capacitor to the other side of the base plate to enable the relay to be sited where I wanted it. Power to the relay comes from the Major's lamp circuit and is wired to 9 and 10 on the relay's terminals. Power is bridged from terminal 9 to 8 with power output to the Major's motor coming from terminal 7.

Relay wiring up.jpg

Finally, here's a picture of the relay and switches fitted and wired.

Relay and switches.jpg

Impressive work. Show us the finished article!!!! This is crying out for a video demonstration

Rocket Giotto Evo, Mythos, Torr x 2, Rapha Chris King Tamper (coz they are cool), VST's, Hausgrind, Airgrind, Hario Slim, Chemex, Aeropress, Oomph, Puck Puck, Bialetti, Black Acaia scales, Acia Lunas,fresh beans

Blah Blah Blah - it makes coffee

Nah:) Next mod in the pipeline is to turn it into a full Major doserless electronic.

As if by magic - a video! Great work P

Rocket Giotto Evo, Mythos, Torr x 2, Rapha Chris King Tamper (coz they are cool), VST's, Hausgrind, Airgrind, Hario Slim, Chemex, Aeropress, Oomph, Puck Puck, Bialetti, Black Acaia scales, Acia Lunas,fresh beans

Blah Blah Blah - it makes coffee

A very neat mod! Tidy wiring!

I personally steer clear of anything that involves electrickery....usually I manage to let the magic smoke out.....

"Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines. "

General Buck Turgidson

My Website

loud little bugger tho innit :)

Mazzer Super Jolly - Expobar Brewtus IV-R - Knock 58.35mm Tamper - 17g LM Strada - IMS Screen - Inker Cups

Do the push buttons come with the timer module ?

¿ ǝsǝɥʇ pɐǝɹ ǝuoʎuɐ sǝop

Nah:) Next mod in the pipeline is to turn it into a full Major doserless electronic.

Did you see the one that dsc sold? I desperately want access to his engineering know-how, being limited to a hugely overpriced mazzer funnel or a fudge funnel is mighty frustrating. His machined aluminium parts looked sexy as hell.

What a great job! Exactly what I want to achieve ! is it possible to have more photos or connections diagram ? Congratulations again !

Really great job and the final result is superb. Congratulation also for your manuality!

Can I second other request to provide details for who would like to try any similar? Maybe it could become a sticky for mazzer timer mod :)

loud little bugger tho innit :)

Sorry, couldn't hear you over the grinder:)

Really great job and the final result is superb. Congratulation also for your manuality!

Can I second other request to provide details for who would like to try any similar? Maybe it could become a sticky for mazzer timer mod :)

Cheers, Mexier - will speak to Glenn about creating a sub forum for modification projects. When I've got time - I'm gutting my son's new flat - will try and put together a video clip.

Nice mod indeed:). I particularly like the posh buttons.

Did you have to import the timer (couldn't find it on a quick google)?