Big_Fat_Dan

What Are You Listening To?

Scott Walker and Sunn O))) - some serious delerium going on there. The best release by far of 2014 of anything involving drone metal. A definite for anyone's Christmas list and guaranteed to get unwanted guests away within a couple of minutes tops.

Scott Walker and Sunn O))) - some serious delerium going on there. The best release by far of 2014 of anything involving drone metal. A definite for anyone's Christmas list and guaranteed to get unwanted guests away within a couple of minutes tops.

I love it Phil, I've been a fan of Sunn O))) for a few years and this collaboration has to be their best on yet.

Just listened to 'Celestite' by Wolves In The Throne Room, you would like that Phil

I've been listening to Vesuvio, part of the soundtrack to Julian Cope's recent novel One Three One

http://www.headheritage.co.uk/vesuvio/

It's a tasty slice of drone metal by Cope, Holy McGrail and Steven O'Malley so definitely of interest to Sunn O))) fans

Londinium L1 | Compak E8

I love it Phil, I've been a fan of Sunn O))) for a few years and this collaboration has to be their best on yet.

Just listened to 'Celestite' by Wolves In The Throne Room, you would like that Phil

Thanks Dan - will follow that up. And I should have simply said of Scott and Sunn 0))) - the best release of 2014.

I've been listening to Vesuvio, part of the soundtrack to Julian Cope's recent novel One Three One

http://www.headheritage.co.uk/vesuvio/

It's a tasty slice of drone metal by Cope, Holy McGrail and Steven O'Malley so definitely of interest to Sunn O))) fans

Ah, thanks drude, more serious delerium. Straight on my Christmas list, too.

This week I've been working my way through the discography of Screamin' Jay Hawkins on my commute to and from work.

tumblr_mb73vc9Klr1qc74euo1_500.png

:coffee:Marcus

Isomac Tea + Nuova Simonelli Mythos+ VST 18g + Torr Brass Goldfinger Tamper

[ Gaggia Coffee Deluxe + Gaggia MDF Grinder + Gaggia 'Gold' Classic + Motta Convexed Tamper ]

This week I've been working my way through the discography of Screamin' Jay Hawkins on my commute to and from work.

My father is a massive SJH fan, didnt he father about 100 kids?

Motown. Lots and lots of Motown.

157 I think?

EDIT: Pfft, maybe just the 57 then...reports of my early passing due to sycophancy may not need to exaggerated after all. :-)

Edited by MWJB

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Err.. who fathered 100 children , Screamin' Jay or your dad !

[ Gaggia Coffee Deluxe + Gaggia MDF Grinder + Gaggia 'Gold' Classic + Motta Convexed Tamper ]

According to his WiKi page (so it must be true!)

Hawkins had six marriages; his French last wife was 33 at his death.[19] Singing partner Shoutin' Pat Newborn stabbed him in jealousy when he married Virginia Sabellona.[19] He had three children with his first wife and estimated the number of his illegitimate children at between 50 and 70.[19] After his death, his friend and biographer Maral Nigolian set up a website to trace these children,[20] identifying 33, at least 12 of whom met at a 2001 reunion.[19][21]

Err.. who fathered 100 children , Screamin' Jay or your dad !

Nah! me dad's been a jaffa since 1971

Lol... you're giving away clues to your age there glevum :)

Complete nutbar, but a musical genius. I've got a couple of live bootlegs of his shows and they are magnificently chaotic. Live version of constipation blues is hilarious too.

I've been going through some radio comedy. Just done a complete run through of all 27 episodes of Cabin Pressure. Possibly the best radio comedy of the last few years.

If I stop drinking the coffee, I stop doing the standing and the walking and the words-into-sentences putting.

"Seriously, going to Starbucks for coffee is like going to prison for sex. You'll get it, but it's going to be rough" - Adam Hills

Yep, complete and utter nutter and absolutely brilliant! Can't really see any recording artist today getting away with a song like "Hong Kong", just wouldn't be allowed in these days of ultra political correctness either !

Re constipation blues, he apparently did a live stage show which feature a toilet actually on the stage for this number.

Not heard of "cabin pressure" before so will download and give it ago, cheers Flibster:)

I love the story that for the first recording of I put a spell on you, the producers wanted a relaxed, loose sound to it. So gave the band $100 and sent them to the bar around the corner.

The resultant drunkenness made that recording unusable. :D

If I stop drinking the coffee, I stop doing the standing and the walking and the words-into-sentences putting.

"Seriously, going to Starbucks for coffee is like going to prison for sex. You'll get it, but it's going to be rough" - Adam Hills

I love the story that for the first recording of I put a spell on you, the producers wanted a relaxed, loose sound to it. So gave the band $100 and sent them to the bar around the corner.

The resultant drunkenness made that recording unusable. :D

Lol, apparently that song was originally supposed to be a ballad but SJH was so drunk during the recording session that it came out a little bit different and when he sobered up he couldn't remember the session so had to "learn" this version from the recordings.

I hadn't heard about that recording (if it was the same one?) being unusable but I believe they did have to produce another radio "friendly" version with less overtly sexual grunting sounds on it.

Edited by marcuswar

Heard The Pop Group's forthcoming Citizen Zombie on 6 music over the New Year and so pending the release of the album (the track is available via the link) I have been listening to their 'Y'. All interspersed with Mahler and Janet Baker singing Ich bin der Welt adhanden gekommen (among other things).

http://noisey.vice.com/en_uk/blog/premiere-the-pop-group-citizen-zombie