Big_Fat_Dan

What Are You Listening To?

What are you guys listening to right now?

I'll start

One of my favorite albums of the year, 'Lost In The Dream' by War On Drugs, brilliant album to start the day with.

Chris Evans on Radio 2.

On the iPod recently has been Ironman by Ghostface (about a million times), both Warpaint albums, Four Tet, New Gold Dream and lots of disco/Philly Soul/Northern Soul mixes

Chris Evans on Radio 2.

On the iPod recently has been Ironman by Ghostface (about a million times), both Warpaint albums, Four Tet, New Gold Dream and lots of disco/Philly Soul/Northern Soul mixes

Classic Wu-Tang, I like all the early single albums, Tical, Return to the 36 Chambers: The Dirty Version, Only Built 4 Cuban Linx... and my fav Liquid Swords

With all the talk this year of ready to die being the best hip hop album ever I decided to go back over the classics and my favourite is ironman for sure. Liquid swords and Cuban linx joint second. Honourable mention to illmatic.

illmatic was one of those albums I never really gave a chance, must re-visit, also Mobb Deep's 'The Infamous' is a cracker.

Not a massive fan of modern day hip-hop, like the new Onyx album, that was good but that ere was something else.

Just found a you tube album, of a vinyl I have, and used to like in the 70's....sounds awful now!

Cirkus One.....prog rock....that leads me onto Dream Theater though for really good modern prog rock!

Maverick Sabre - Lonely are the brave.

Blues For Hippies - Blues & r'n'b compilation from the latter days of Excello records: Jimmy Dawkins, Otis Spann, Charles Friday, Tabby Thomas & of course...Slim Harpo. (Disclaimer: I am not a hippy).

Edited by MWJB

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Dub classic

That takes me back to my Roots.......

With all the talk this year of ready to die being the best hip hop album ever I decided to go back over the classics and my favourite is ironman for sure. Liquid swords and Cuban linx joint second. Honourable mention to illmatic.

Have you heard Piñata by Freddie Gibbs and Madlib?

Best Hip Hop record I've heard all year, quality production from Madlib (as always).

Beans, beans the musical fruit, the more you drink, the more you... *tremors uncontrollably* 😬 

Have not no, loved madvillainy but haven't heard much no madlib's solo stuff. Will check it out

To me that Freddie Gibbs sounds more rap than hip hop. I don't pretend to know much about hip hop but stuff like: dilated peoples, blackalicious, gift of gab, jurassic 5, souls of mischief, ugly duckling, the roots, sounds more like hip hop to me.

and more gangster

Edited by fatboyslim

To me that Freddie Gibbs sounds more rap than hip hop. I don't pretend to know much about hip hop but stuff like: dilated peoples, blackalicious, gift of gab, jurassic 5, souls of mischief, ugly duckling, the roots, sounds more like hip hop to me

To me rap = bitches, hoes and drug dealing while hip hop is the more chilled, cerebral stuff

To me that Freddie Gibbs sounds more rap than hip hop. I don't pretend to know much about hip hop but stuff like: dilated peoples, blackalicious, gift of gab, jurassic 5, souls of mischief, ugly duckling, the roots, sounds more like hip hop to me.

and more gangster

I'm not an expert either, but I thought rap was one of the four pillars of hip hop, rather than mutually exclusive forms. Rap predates the hip hop movement certainly by decades as far as recordings go, maybe more in the oral tradition.

Edited by MWJB

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

A bit random here today

In readiness for Saturday nights 'concert', listening to a bit of Sheffields leading 6 piece Ukulele band

The Everly Pregnant Brothers

http://theeverlypregnantbrothers2.bandcamp.com/

For anyone considering opening the link and listening to this, bare in mind that there is a touch of industrial language in the mix

a grinder a lever and some beans

Defining rap and hip hop is a tricky one, I've never boiled it down to lyrical themes.

Though what we all know as Gangsta Rap is the "bitches, hoes and drug dealing".

I like to think of it as an argument about the difference between a cappuccino and a flat white, one's got a bit thicker milk but it's still bloody coffee!

Anyway, I've also been listening been listening to Jeff Beck's Wired ALOT recently.

Beans, beans the musical fruit, the more you drink, the more you... *tremors uncontrollably* 😬 

If none of you have seen this, I thoroughly recommend watching this excellent rap music....by David Cameron

[video=youtube_share;0YBumQHPAeU]

If none of you have seen this, I thoroughly recommend watching this excellent rap music....by David Cameron

[video=youtube_share;0YBumQHPAeU]

Great

Thanks for sharing

Ha! That Cassette Boy video made me laugh. Shame he didn't do one for all the party leaders. Where there's a politician, there's an opportunity for lampoonery.

Blues For Hippies - Blues & r'n'b compilation from the latter days of Excello records: Jimmy Dawkins, Otis Spann, Charles Friday, Tabby Thomas & of course...Slim Harpo. (Disclaimer: I am not a hippy).

Nice! I used to have Tip On In by Slim Harpo on Excello 7" vinyl. Plus a whole load of Sue singles, Pool Shark, Misty and various other stuff by Groove Holmes on Prestige, Jimmy Smith's Cat in a Tree and various other quality bits of 60s R'n'B wax. Sadly, long gone now, would love to give them a spin. The pic in this video shows the same actual record that I had.

[video=youtube_share;1OKduoWWWsE]

Edited by hotmetal

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Been listening to the new albums from Aphex Twin and Porter Robinson recently.

Also heard this the other day on Radio 6.

Originally written by Tim Buckley back in '67, couldn't believe I'd never heard it before, particularly as it seems a widely covered song, in this instance by This Mortal Coil, aka Liz Fraser and Robin Guthrie, aka The Cocteau Twins. And if you don't like Liz Fraser there's something wrong with you. :p

I have been re-visiting some Chick Corea today

Together with some Mahavishnu Orchestra

Not sure if it will be Jazz or Disclosure tonight