Sign in to follow this  
Osh

Making a portafilter bottomless

Has anyone ever tried, or has it been discussed previously on this forum, making a regular PF bottomless?

It will obviously require a metal worker and a chrome plater. Interested to hear if anyone has had experience with this.

You could do but it's generally easier to find one which is already bottomless unless of course they don't do one for your machine.

http://www.home-barista.com/espresso-machines/how-to-make-your-own-naked-portafilter-t1437.html

Izzo Alex Mk2 Dual Water, Compak K10 Conical, Gene Cafe, Cona Model D, Motta Jug and not enough cravendale...

I got one offa fleabay for £28 with a double and triple basket for that money it's not worth the trouble.

Gaggia Classic, Mahlkonig Vario, Espro Tamper, Bottomless Portafilter, Equal Exchange Italian Beans.

You could try 2 ways:

1) A lathe, would be clean

2) a saw, shouldn't be to difficult with a chrome plated brass PF, but may be difficult to make it look clean.

You could contact CoffeeHit or Espresso Warehouse who both stock Naked Portafilters

CoffeeHit can also drill out your current portafilter at their workshop.

The Naked PF page is here

Home Barista Training - contact me to discuss your requirements

I would not attempt making a naked portafilter myself. Personally, I would order one and pay someone else to do the work.

Fracino Cherub, Malhkonig Vario, Espro calibrated 58mm tamper, Espro jug, ACF cups and Costa lover.

Twitter @MrsSKRobinson

The CoffeeHit option looks the best deal.

A general question: would you make your one and only PF naked or is it a good idea to keep a regular one around as well?

Personally, I'd keep both

Home Barista Training - contact me to discuss your requirements

So would I:p

Only that I have one PF. Are there any cons in having only a bottomless?

The CoffeeHit option looks the best deal.

A general question: would you make your one and only PF naked or is it a good idea to keep a regular one around as well?

Two things you'd have to consider, resale and if you need to pour two cups at the same time. No way I'd bottomless my only portafilter.

Izzo Alex Mk2 Dual Water, Compak K10 Conical, Gene Cafe, Cona Model D, Motta Jug and not enough cravendale...

Neither of those are going to be an issue..... methinks!

Bottomless PFs means more effort, but enables you to refine your technique, ensuring a good tamp and even distribution.

Still learning on... Gaggia TS, Cunill Tauro, PTM Tamper, Motta Tamping Stand and Knock Box, Gaggia Milk Jug and fresh beans!

I have not been brave enough to get a naked PF yet. Definitely something to put on my "list".

Fracino Cherub, Malhkonig Vario, Espro calibrated 58mm tamper, Espro jug, ACF cups and Costa lover.

Twitter @MrsSKRobinson