IGNORED

Graef CM95 grinder - first impressions and review

How are you guys getting on with this grinder? I'm very tempted to order one.

Is it just a case of switching the plug to a UK model?

I have only had a little play so far, it comes with a euro style plug so needs a cheap converter plug.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be careful with the cheap converter plugs as i am nearly sure they don't earth the appliance just check especially if using in a kitchen .

It is just a stop gap solution. I bought one of these off Ebay

plug1.jpg

but the Graef comes with a right angled plug so I have just bought one of these

plug2.gif

It is fused so should make it kitchen safe.

The second photo looks like it has the correct prongs inside that earth the appliance i would go for that one , an alternative if you check with the supplier that it won't invalidate the guarantee is just to cut the EU plug off and change it for a UK plug but you would need to make sure before .

Hmm, on lowest setting I was getting 18g g of grinds to produce 40g of coffee in 18-20 secs which is too fast so I have taken in apart and moved it two notches towards fine and after reassembly I am getting boulders out now :(

ETA - Phew.... sorted it out :cool::cool:

Edited by Hairy_Hogg
For me I had to remove the top burr set, remove the two screws and adjust 5 places in the fine direction.

Not resolved my problem totally as per this thread but I am not sure if that is a problem with the grind or the Gaggia at the moment :(

In your pics it looks like you could still go much finer to me... on the CM 95 I didn't have to do anything other than adjust the top burr and the grind setting (I can't remember how many notches now but I think maybe 4 - *Edit on reflection I think it may have been 2 settings - I am grinding roughly around the "10" setting at the mo).

I plan to give the grinder a clean up at the weekend so I'll see if I can take some pics of the top burr for you. I'm grinding fine enough for 20-30 depending on bean age etc. and I could definitely go fine enough to choke my machine. A couple of things to consider:

Macro adjustment of top burr should be sufficient you shouldn't need a spacer washer. Can you adjust it a little further? You can always change it back later if you need.

Bean storage. If you leave it in the hopper you will have to adjust more as it ages (finer I seemed to find). I keep mine sealed in the bag in a cupboard now with a clip as it means less adjustment needed later.

How old is the grinder was it brand new? It apparently sometimes takes a bit of time for the burrs to run in (mine did maybe a kg or so of beans at least) I would say it only started coming into it's own after a few months when it became very consistent...

Just a few thoughts really it may be a little different on the 800 though.

Edited by djedga

Decided to attempt to return the grinder as it is just winding me up now, starts and stops of its own accord in auto mode. Let's see how good the Germans are at refunds...

Think I will throw a few more quid at a new grinder when I get my money back.

Germany had stronger laws around online sales and what needed to be in place etc than UK, at least they did a couple of years ago. So it's pretty likely in my mind that they'll be good.

Good idea, grinder is crucial

• 2 weeks later...
@MrShades

thanks for the great informative analysis

i can not afford a CM95, but on the strength of your review, I have purchased a Graef CM800

cheers

Hey @yardbent - how you getting on with your Graef. I sent mine back in the end as per the above (which I much admit was really easy with that German company and they even refunded the postage costs) and now have an MC2 from here which I found much easier to dial in (the Graef I found impossible). Just wondering if you are enjoying yours?

Hey @yardbent - how you getting on with your Graef. .............. and now have an MC2 from here which I found much easier to dial in (the Graef I found impossible). Just wondering if you are enjoying yours?

I'm surprised.?

took mine apart upon delivery - it was used - cleaned all residue and burrs [mint]

re-assembled leaving top burr carrier setting as it was

only took 3 adjustments to correct grind for Foundry Rocko Mountain beans....at step 15

then went down 6 steps with new beans from Coffee Compass Jampit

any more choked the Gaggia

hence I'm surprised cos my Graef 800 is working very well

good luck with the MC2....:D

Hopefully you did not get my old one :) - I assume not as you managed to get it to work well...

MC2 is working well and is a great teething machine for me, will get used to it then suffer from upgraditis after 3 -6 months and probably look for a used Mignon.

I'm surprised.?

took mine apart upon delivery - it was used - cleaned all residue and burrs [mint]

re-assembled leaving top burr carrier setting as it was

only took 3 adjustments to correct grind for Foundry Rocko Mountain beans....at step 15

then went down 6 steps with new beans from Coffee Compass Jampit

any more choked the Gaggia

hence I'm surprised cos my Graef 800 is working very well

good luck with the MC2....:D

Did you buy my mates in the end?

• 4 years later...
8 hours ago, Blue_Cafe said:

A fantastic thread.

And i am awaiting a CM800 myself so very interesting to read :)

recieved.

Well, its well built for the money and is very "Germanic" in its execution.

I really like it on first use.