I ended up bending the tubing around whatever other strong cylindrical shapes I could find - a stainless turkey baster and a railing on my kitchen range, with the former providing the best results: spacer.png

As you probably remember, this was an extremely tedious process, with dozens of "bend, put in place and check fit" iterations. Took me probably 12 hours spread over 2 days!

Even with it finished, I'm still having trouble getting used to frothing with this machine, since the new wand is so low - only the smallest of pitchers works, and even with that you cannot fill it fully without spilling after frothing because of the tilt required to clear the wand tip. Do any of you have this experience, and/or maybe have any frothing advice with this giant wand?

I ended up bending the tubing around whatever other strong cylindrical shapes I could find - a stainless turkey baster and a railing on my kitchen range, with the former providing the best results: spacer.png

As you probably remember, this was an extremely tedious process, with dozens of "bend, put in place and check fit" iterations. Took me probably 12 hours spread over 2 days!

Even with it finished, I'm still having trouble getting used to frothing with this machine, since the new wand is so low - only the smallest of pitchers works, and even with that you cannot fill it fully without spilling after frothing because of the tilt required to clear the wand tip. Do any of you have this experience, and/or maybe have any frothing advice with this giant wand?

If the classic will fit on the recess of this, it'll give you a bit more clearance for the jug.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

My wand seems to be leaking at the joint. O-ring looks fine. Should I put some thread seal tape to see if that helps?
IIrc the silvia wand is a bit longer than the standard one to before the ridge the o-ring sits on. Think I had to file it down a tiny bit to get it to fit right. So the nut would tighten up properly.

I sat my Gaggia on a grounds box which raised it up giving more clearance for the jug. I still have it and would be willing to sell it of any interest (but you could use anything else to raise up the Classic really)

IIrc the silvia wand is a bit longer than the standard one to before the ridge the o-ring sits on. Think I had to file it down a tiny bit to get it to fit right. So the nut would tighten up properly.

I just had a look and it screws in flush. I received some new o-rings today so I will replace and see how it goes.

I just had a look and it screws in flush. I received some new o-rings today so I will replace and see how it goes.
Check the seat where the o-ring sits too. It doesn't take much scale to stp it sealing properly.

I significantly preferred the v3 over the v2 on my Gaggia!

Any specifics on the differences? Better microfoam? Keen to get past the first round of the next latte art competition!

Any specifics on the differences? Better microfoam? Keen to get past the first round of the next latte art competition!

Anyone experienced the kit from Ferrari espresso or gone from a v2-v3? Thanks

Anyone experienced the kit from Ferrari espresso or gone from a v2-v3? Thanks

Ok so I did it. The Ferrari Espresso v3 kit is ace and easy to change from a v2 or panerello. It looks great. Much easier to clean. It seems to be more controllable less burst than v2. Still learning with my art.0776da5ac2a431525d8fd9280ef1c6fa.jpg

I've just received the pre-modded V3 kit from Espresso Ferrari - looks a much more substantial wand than the V1/2. Link here: https://www.ferrari-espresso.com/product/gaggia-pre-2015-rancilio-steam-wand-v3-conversion-kit/

Does anyone have any instructions on how to install this specific kit? I think I just need to drill a couple of holes in the chassis to secure the bracket and then connect it up.

Gaggia Classic (1425W) with the following upgrades: 9 bar adjustment, Silvia V3 steam wand, brass shower plate, IMS precision shower screen, bottomless portafilter, VST precision ridgeless basket (18g). Soon to be adding MrShades' PID to this list! Well that escalated quickly....;)

I've just received the pre-modded V3 kit from Espresso Ferrari - looks a much more substantial wand than the V1/2. Link here: https://www.ferrari-espresso.com/product/gaggia-pre-2015-rancilio-steam-wand-v3-conversion-kit/

Does anyone have any instructions on how to install this specific kit? I think I just need to drill a couple of holes in the chassis to secure the bracket and then connect it up.

Looks like it from the pics in your link. Be sure to measure accurately where you want the holes drilled.

Posted (edited)

Yeah it was just a case of lining up the two holes in the bracket in the preferred position, marking it with a pen and then drilling. Dead easy with the kit! In so far as the V3 wand's performance is concerned, I've definitely noticed a step up in power.

Next step for me is a MrShades PID but need to let the dust settle with the missus after doing this upgrade before another coffee related purchase. 60cf34e096895dbd3671feaaa6d782f0.jpg

Edited by It02s28

Gaggia Classic (1425W) with the following upgrades: 9 bar adjustment, Silvia V3 steam wand, brass shower plate, IMS precision shower screen, bottomless portafilter, VST precision ridgeless basket (18g). Soon to be adding MrShades' PID to this list! Well that escalated quickly....;)

Yeah it was just a case of lining up the two holes in the bracket in the referred position, marking it with a pen and then drilling. Dead easy with the kit! In so far as the V3 wand's performance is concerned, I've definitely noticed a step up in power.

Next step for me is a MrShades PID but need to let the dust settle with the missus after doing this upgrade before another coffee related purchase. 60cf34e096895dbd3671feaaa6d782f0.jpg

Did you go from a V1/2 Silvia wand or straight to the V3?

Did you go from a V1/2 Silvia wand or straight to the V3?
It came with a V1/2 Silvia wand when I bought it.

I have found it easier to create a 'whirlpool' when steaming milk with the V3 than V1/2 but that might simply be because it's forcing steam through one hole than the two on the V1/2.

It came with a V1/2 Silvia wand when I bought it.

I have found it easier to create a 'whirlpool' when steaming milk with the V3 than V1/2 but that might simply be because it's forcing steam through one hole than the two on the V1/2.

Thanks. My V1/2 came with a single hole tip but am still considering 'upgrading' for the convenience of the ball joint.

Thanks. My V1/2 came with a single hole tip but am still considering 'upgrading' for the convenience of the ball joint.
Ahh of course! My V1/2 came with a single hole, I must have been getting confused with another wand.

The ball joint is a big plus. Also by affixing it to the chassis via the included bracket, it is solid, whereas I had a fair bit of play in the V1/2. It also replaces the brass steam pipe (that goes between steam valve and wand) with a flexible hose. It's just generally a much better quality setup than the stock wand or V1/2 in my opinion.

Can I help you with any particular photos?

Ahh of course! My V1/2 came with a single hole, I must have been getting confused with another wand.

The ball joint is a big plus. Also by affixing it to the chassis via the included bracket, it is solid, whereas I had a fair bit of play in the V1/2. It also replaces the brass steam pipe (that goes between steam valve and wand) with a flexible hose. It's just generally a much better quality setup than the stock wand or V1/2 in my opinion.

Can I help you with any particular photos?

Not me as the valve is a wee bit different on the tebe than the classic but it may help the OP if he gets stuck.

Not me as the valve is a wee bit different on the tebe than the classic but it may help the OP if he gets stuck.
Fair plays, well anyone whose reading this and needs any photos or queries answering let me know - happy to help.

On 14/04/2019 at 17:34, It02s28 said:
ashcroc said:

Fair plays, well anyone whose reading this and needs any photos or queries answering let me know - happy to help.

OK  Frank from Ferrari Espresso has these back in stock and one arrived today.  Looks simple enough,  just need to work out where to drill the holes.  :good:

• Like 1