• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK  Frank from Ferrari Espresso has these back in stock and one arrived today.  Looks simple enough,  just need to work out where to drill the holes. 

Posted Images

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Now from the top of the machine feed the steam end of the wand through the hole in the body of the machine, and wiggle it about until the large nut sits flat on the inside of the body, then line up the copper pipe to the top pipe and bolt that on.

Hi Silver Shamrock.

A very methodical and valuable guide to fitting this mod may I say. Thinking about that large nut that sits flat on the inside of the body, what prevents it moving out of place as the wand is moved? Surely unnecessary movement is being caused to the copper pipe?

Hi Silver Shamrock,

What is the width of lines on that ruled paper you used? I could then enlarge your photo to the correct size and it would serve as an accurate guide to make the bends on the copper pipe. It would be more accurate if say you counted ten lines and measured the distance. I suspect they are spaced at 8mm. Thanks.

Edited by yakima
  • 3 weeks later...

Great thread and I am certainly going to do the mod very shortly.

Do you know if anyone is selling a complete mod kit with all the pieces or would I have to get each thing individually?

PS. silver shamrock - your Gaggia is so clean and sparkly... what on earth are you using to clean it!?!

::: Fracino Cherub ::: Fiorenzato F5 ::: Torr 58.6mm ::: VST 18g basket :::

Awaiting: Arduino upgrade on Gaggia Classic, some skills ;)

Hi and apologies for the late reply I've been away on my jolly hols. I've managed to dig out the original drawing and the lines are 8mm. From top to bottom it measures 114mm and width around 75mm from the edge of the curve at the top to the outer edge of the nut at the bottom. Hope this helps!!

Hi, I just followed the link that I pasted at the start of my thread, pretty sure it was a couple of different sellers but they all turned up at the same time. haha I just use a damp sponge after I've done the dishes and polish to a sparkle with a microfibre cloth (the type you'd polish a car with).

Surely unnecessary movement is being caused to the copper pipe?

Once it was bolted in place at the top it was very sturdy so I've never noticed any movement and doubt it would, and as gingerneil said, the ball joint allows enough give that it doesn't trouble the pipe above it

• 2 weeks later...
Hi and apologies for the late reply I've been away on my jolly hols. I've managed to dig out the original drawing and the lines are 8mm. From top to bottom it measures 114mm and width around 75mm from the edge of the curve at the top to the outer edge of the nut at the bottom. Hope this helps!!

Thought the lines were 8mm. I took the liberty of resizing and correcting the perspective of your photo to accurately reflect the pipe shape if printed out same size. I've also included a couple of shots of my own - your photo was invaluable as a guide. Of course the difficulty of bending the pipe is that it is in two planes which is difficult to show in a photo. It took me about 4 hours to do the mod (I wasn't rushing). The pen refill was perfect (mine was a Pentel Superb - 3mm diameter refill). My biggest blunder came though when the nib of the refill came loose and a small amount of ink trickled into the brass adaptor while attached to the steam wand! Despite a hurried cleaning job it's amazing how much colour can still come through the steam nozzle from one drop of ink!! Moral of the story?… use an empty refill. Well it's all done and it was well worth it - the steam nozzle works great. Additional note: I upgraded from a Silvia v2 wand. With the extra length of the steam wand I recommend the Gaggia platform base for your machine and grinder as it affords the extra height needed to get your jug under the wand.

P1040386_actual.jpg

pipe2.jpg

pipe1.jpg

gaggia.jpg

Edited by yakima
Additional information

Looks great yakima!! Really glad my guide helped and that you completed it without any issues. Good idea including a ruler with the pics, why didn't I think of that? Maybe all of my inspiration was used up that day on the pen refill idea! :rolleyes: Anyway the new photos should help anyone else trying this mod. Cheers

Hello friends, I have given to this board after searching how to adapt my Gaggia Classic 2015. Anyone know the original reference of the Rancilio V3Steam wand? I want to ask the price in a spare parts shop in my city.

Somebody has made the conversion to the new model 2015?

• 6 months later...
Great thread and I am certainly going to do the mod very shortly.

Do you know if anyone is selling a complete mod kit with all the pieces or would I have to get each thing individually?

Got everything I needed on eBay from:

www.ferrari-espresso.com

You'll need the Rancilio Silvia v3 Steam Wand Assembly, Brass Seat Joint for Rancilio Silvia Steam Wand, Seat Joint Spring, Teflon Gasket for Steam Wand Nut. Just short of £32 for the 4 items listed. The mod is most definitely worth it.

• 1 month later...

Hi Silver Shamrock, and all. I am pretty new to the home coffee brewing, and in particular the Gaggia, I have a Gaggia Classic which I bought second hand, it had the Rancillio V2 fitted. After reading your very good article I thought I would give the Rancillio V3 a go. I was lucky to see on ebay a copper steam pipe from the Gaggia Baby on sale from Bulgaria for the great price of £11 including postage. I thought if I get that and the bending doesn't go right then my machine is still OK. Anyway got the pipe and didn't have a biro so I used a piece of plastic washing line, the kind which has a wire core. Using Yakima's template I found it very easy to bend the pipe to the shape I wanted, it only took about 20 minutes to bend, and not a kink in sight. The V3 looks cool and I have no leaks. I'm very happy. Thank you for your inspiration

• 2 months later...

So I tried this with the bits from Espressoparts (https://www.espressoparts.com/brasilia-articulating-steam-wand-adapter-short) along with all the v3 bits and still had to shave down the inside of the reducing nipple to get the spring to fit even though its meant to be 12mm. Once I did that it was all good if I left the nut on the outside of the machine. Of course I could no longer get the water jug out if I did that, so I attempted to bend the pipe to make it fit and snapped it :(

I'm now looking for a replacement pipe, but it looks like it's only sold with the original steam wand for about $40. (https://www.wholelattelove.com/products/steam-wand-and-copper-pipe-assembly)

Does anyone know if there is a better way to replace it? Could you use high temp/pressure silicone tubing and some hose clamps to keep it on? That seems to be what some cheaper machines do. As I've still got both ends where the brass couplings are, I guess I could just join them up with silicone tube and hose clamps and try it out...

• 2 weeks later...
so the silicone hose and clamps works.

27527229835_a31ac0cb4f_z.jpgIMG_1389 by O_P, on Flickr

27250666660_21995a61c6_z.jpgIMG_1328 by O_P, on Flickr

A simple solution to the fiddly exercise of re-bending the copper pipe. But do you still have sufficient pressure? The copper pipe that this replaces has only an internal diameter of 3mm so I am curious that you still have enough steam pressure when it exits the wand.

• 6 months later...

SO i received my new Classic last week. I immediately did the OPV modification and upgraded the pitiful steam wand to the Silvia V3. The wand upgrade wasn't too bad at all, the hardest part was getting the tubing bent correctly. I didn't have to do any drilling out thanks to the correct parts from Stephano's espresso care:

https://www.espressocare.com/products/item/rancilio-silvia-steam-wand-kit-08 and https://www.espressocare.com/products/item/steam-wand-kit-gaggia. Steam was amazing with the new wand, good foam on the first attempt.;) Pid is next, trying to decide between meCoffee and the Auberins pid kit.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Simpsot69, do you have any photos you can share of the internal fittings after you made the bends? I'm in the middle of this work with my new Gaggia Classic, and am using exact same parts as you (all from Stefano's), and because of the overall height of his parts am having trouble making the bends low enough so that the steam pipe clears the steam knob directly above it, which you can kind of see in this photo. My photos here.

I've tried bending by hand, even with a vice, salt-filled tubing, and heated with a blow torch. I'm thinking the next step would be to grip the bottom hex nut with wrench, and press the lowest part of the (heated) pipe against a block of wood. I'm just afraid of compromising the weld joint between the long brass hex nut and the copper pipe.