Yeah I guess that would work, you'd have to get the ratio of soap to water right though to make sure it went to the right consistency, too much either way and you'd be looking at a kinked pipe.. Would also be very cold on the fingers!! So I'd say some gloves would be in order...;)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks majnu!! Haha well its funny you say that, Ive never worked with copper pipe before so I rang my dad to see if he had any ideas (he's a bit of a DIYer) and he said try filling it with sand, I to

OK  Frank from Ferrari Espresso has these back in stock and one arrived today.  Looks simple enough,  just need to work out where to drill the holes. 

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

In engineering half a mm is a lot, do you know anyone who could measure the component for you? (if it [email protected] for 13 mm 12.5 will not do) How do you propose to hold it to drill it out ?

Unless held in a vice and using a pillar drill it will probably bite /snatch and fly off!!! You could try holding the drill in a vice and rotating the nipple held in a socket to slowly/ gently "reamer" it out.

Finally had a go today, after everything had arrived. I drilled out the nipple using the 12.5mm bit, testing for depth with the new wand. I cut the same off either end as above - one thread from the thin, and two from the fat.

It took a while to manipulate the pipework, and I ended up with a different shape to the others! I only put pfte tape on the wand to nipple joint, not on the pipe to nipple. Not sure why, but no problems so far!

All tested and working well - looks great too!

rps20141209_155634.jpg

rps20141209_155706.jpg

rps20141209_155723.jpg

It seems pretty good to me - but I've only been using it for the afternoon. There are some tiny little dents, but nothing major. I think the photos look worse than it is.

I'll be installing a PID with steam alarm in the next few days, so that should provide a boost too. I wonder if I could replace the brass pipe with a flexible plumbing type hose?

Oh great stuff, glad you managed it!! :-) I wouldn't worry about the pipe if it's working ok, once you put the lid on you'll soon forget what it looks like. How long did it take you all in? I spent ages on the pipe, it was a pain getting it to the shape I needed but I just kept persisting. Also did you use a biro whilst making the bends?