• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK  Frank from Ferrari Espresso has these back in stock and one arrived today.  Looks simple enough,  just need to work out where to drill the holes. 

Posted Images

Hi guys,

There is another thread on how to do the V3 steam wand upgrade but after just completing it myself I've found a couple of ways to make things a little bit easier, well they helped me anyway. The link for the parts needed (many thanks to Jim Bean) to do the upgrade is here: http://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread...ts-£35-from-uk

I'll talk you through some bits here, add some pics then carry on. If anybody wants to try attempting this then don't worry just go for it, you can always email me if you have any problems I'll be glad to help. It took me about 4 hours all in but I just took my time.

The first issue I had was with the generic brass reducing nipple, its the 3/8" Male x 1/8" Male size. From the other posts I knew that the larger end had to be drilled out to 13mm dia so the spring could fit inside it, but the threads on each end were actually too long to fit tightly into the new steam wand and the old internal copper pipe without thread showing, so I had to saw off 2 threads from the 3/8" end and one thread from the 1/8" end. Brass is pretty soft so it was easy to do with a baby hacksaw, and the drilling took just a couple of minutes, I actually used an 11mm drill bit first, then 12mm, then 13mm, thinking it would put less stress on the brass fitting if I just took off a bit at a time, don't think that's totally necessary though. As I had reduced the length of the thread on the 3/8" end I didn't have to worry about how deep I drilled, as the spring and the brass seat joint were a few mm longer than the thread at that point, so the brass seat joint sat proud.

P1040383.jpg

P1040374.jpg

P1040378.jpg

P1040370.jpg

Edited by silver shamrock

As other posters have mentioned the most difficult part of the job (and the part which took me the most time) was bending the copper pipe to make it all fit together. With it being such a slim copper pipe it's very easy to put a kink in it or split it, so I had the idea of taking the inside of a biro out, sliding it into the pipe and leaving it in there whilst making the bends, the plastic ink part of the pen was quite tough but it would slide right inside the pipe snuggly and followed all of the curves. I did it mostly by hand but some bits I had to use pliers etc to get tighter bends, using this method I didn't get any kinks in the pipe. Before making the bends I traced around the pipe on a piece of paper so I could see how much progress I was making, your pipe should eventually look like this but just take your time with it...

P1040385.jpg

P1040386.jpg

P1040389.jpg

I found the brass reducing nipple needed about 5 or 6 threads on each end to make it all fit together snuggly, when the part turned up it had about 8 threads on the 3/8" end and 6 on the 1/8" end. I filed the ends down after sawing, then used some PTFE thread seal tape on the threads, popped on the teflon gasket and tightened it all up, this is what it should look like when all attached...

P1040387.jpg

P1040388.jpg

I kept bending the copper pipe bit by bit (before attaching it to the steam wand I mean), lining it up inside the machine where it attaches to the top pipe to see if it lined up right with the hole where the steam wand exits. As the V3 wand has a very large bolt on the end of it (which sits inside the machine) the whole copper pipe has to move up by around an inch, maybe more. Once you're happy with that it's time to get it all into the machine. I attached it all together first, I don't think it would be possible to get the joints all tightened up sufficiently from inside the machine as there's not much room, so once it's all fitted take off the rubber on the wand, I used a thin screwdriver to lift up an edge of the rubber, poured in a couple of drops of vegetable oil and it slid straight off. Now from the top of the machine feed the steam end of the wand through the hole in the body of the machine, and wiggle it about until the large nut sits flat on the inside of the body, then line up the copper pipe to the top pipe and bolt that on. Then it's all sturdy and you're good to go. I left the lid off whilst I heated it all up, let the steam wand run for a few minutes to check for leaks, but it was all fine.

P1040397.jpg

P1040398.jpg

P1040401.jpg

Thanks majnu!! Haha well its funny you say that, Ive never worked with copper pipe before so I rang my dad to see if he had any ideas (he's a bit of a DIYer) and he said try filling it with sand, I told him I didnt keep sand in my house, he then said try salt, so I gave it a go, ended up with salt everywhere and a copper pipe that I had no idea if it was full or not, so I stuck the pipe under really hot water to wash it out (which I'm guessing would be difficult with sand in such a thin pipe) and then had the idea of using the pen, the pen actually knocked a few lumps of salt out in the process. The plastic is tough enough to stop the copper kinking, at least the pen I used was tough enough, it was out of a BIC but I'm sure Staedtler would be just as good ;-)

Well I never actually had the V2 I went straight to the V3 from the panarello after advice from marcuswar on here. The V3 only has one hole but I'm sure I read somewhere that it had three originally but they changed it to one. It does seem a lot more powerful than the original panarello and the microfoam is superb, it's not a pot of froth anymore, takes a bit of practise but I worked in a bar years ago that had a large coffee machine so I had plenty of practise then

There is someone on here that did that, I'm on my mobile at the moment so its not too easy for me to check, Jim Bean may have gone from the 2 to the 3. I'm sure they said it was better and much easier to clean because it doesn't have the hexagonal tip on it

Thanks, be good if someone went from a V2 to a V3 and let us know the difference.

I'd be weighing up the potential benefit of changing from v2 to v3 wand ( as it's still the same boiler, and clearly the v2 isn't unusable ) versus putting the cash towards a pid on classic which would help steaming and extraction or a say better grinder ...

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Your determined for me to get a new grinder eh Boots!

Xmas is only round the corner you know, you could donate your lovely Ek?

I'd like you to be able to get more clarity from your espresso and I think another grinder would help with that ,which in turn would help with your roasting and make dialling beans in less frustrating for you ....

I've leant my EK once this year , I'm not doing it again , not for no one ...

Sell the boat , buy a better grinder .........

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I guess that would work, you'd have to get the ratio of soap to water right though to make sure it went to the right consistency, too much either way and you'd be looking at a kinked pipe.. Would also be very cold on the fingers!! So I'd say some gloves would be in order...;)

• 1 month later...