Coffee Forums banner

Recent trip to San Francisco - Coffee Shop Reviews and Pics

5K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  Xpenno 
#1 ·
So I just got back from San Francisco and thought I'd share some quick thoughts and pictures on the various coffee shops and roasters that me and my other half visited during the trip.

Blue Bottle Roasters

Blue Bottle was the first coffee shop that we visited as it was pretty close to our apartment and was located in the very cool Ferry Building. The Ferry Building was brimming over with independents from wine and beer to coffee and ice cream and then on to cheese and fruit. There was even an entire shop dedicated to mushrooms! The building is beautiful and the produce even better.

On our first visit we had an espresso each and took away a filter each. The espresso was very intense. It had qualities of both light and dark roasts, quite chocolaty but with a bit of zing to keep it interesting, a very well balanced shot indeed. The pour over coffee was a different beast all together. It was still on the darker side of what I usually go for back home but it was still a really balanced brew and one of my favourites of the trip. It had plenty of fruit to get into but still maintained hints of the dark side. It was brimming over with red fruit and chocolate and this is how we started pretty much every day of the first week.

P1000754.JPG

P1000749.JPG

P1000753.JPG

P1000751.JPG

(splitting post due to picture limits...)

See less See more
#2 ·
Sightglass Roasters

We decided to take a walk over to one of Sightglass shops. We accidently walked through the one area of the city that we were told to avoid, the tenderloin. Well, we survived to tell the tale and whilst the area wasn't exactly as nice as the main downtown area, we were not mugged, shot at or stabbed. After making it to Sightglass and already feeling a little caffeinated from our earlier trip to Blue Bottle we decided to take it easy and just grabbed a couple of espressos. I really loved the decor of the shop and the Probat Roaster was going full tilt right in the middle which just added to the experience. The espresso was of a similar style to those from Blue Bottle although I preferred this one. For me it had a bit more going on whilst still remaining balanced overall, Jill preferred Blue Bottle, both were fantastic.

P1000764.JPG

P1000763.JPG

P1000762.JPG

P1000761.JPG

P1000758.JPG

P1000759.JPG

P1000757.JPG

Workshop Cafe

Next up was Workshop Cafe. This wasn't on the list but was one that we just happened upon whilst wandering about and needed a quick hit. I was glad that we did as the espresso was really tasty and they were serving up Stumptown's Hair Bender blend. Was a cool place was half of the space reserved for coffee and half a sort of mobile office space where people came to work. A very quick but satisfying visit
:)

#3 ·
Flywheel Coffee Roasters

A friend recommended Flywheel Coffee as somewhere that we might be interested in visiting as it quote "looked like a chemistry lab". We added it to google maps and decided to call in on the way back from a visit to the Ocean Beach. The shop is located in Haight Ashbury which is a very cool hippy district with loads of really cool shops and places to eat/drink.

The shop had a similar style and feel to those visited previously. The thing that set this one apart for me was the coffee. It was by far the best coffee that we had on the trip. The espresso was a think and dense Brazil with loads going on very tasty. The Kenyan filter was just like drinking a cup of Ribena. I couldn't fault either beverage and my only regret is that we visited it too late in the holiday to make it back again.

P1010326.JPG

P1010315.JPG

P1010320.JPG

P1010324.JPG

P1010323.JPG

P1010313.JPG

P1010314.JPG

P1010319.JPG

#4 ·
Four Barrel Coffee

Similar styling to many of the others shops in the area but with a couple of differences. The machines were the fantastic looking LM Mistral with custom logo and then there was the second brew bar which was set apart from the main ordering point. Since we had a busy day planned we just opted for a quick espresso and an orange glazed doughnut for breakfast which we enjoyed whilst watching the roasters at work and both of which were fantastically tasty. On the way out I had an eye on the brew bar and was thinking about grabbing something to take out. I heard the barista talking to another couple about the various coffees that were available and decided to join the queue. We waited quite a while but eventually we got in on the action, we spent around 20 minutes speaking to both the couple in front and the barista as he talked us through the various coffees and made up a couple of quick brews to taste before we committed. The barista was surrounded by various machines, grinders and brewing equipment and had the most amazing enthusiasm for coffee. It was now obvious why this bar was kept separate to the main section as we'd been there for around half an hour and he'd sold about 3 coffees in that time, he did admit that he wasn't the quickest at serving which was an understatement at best. Either way when we finally left we left with two really tasty, and really different pour over brews in our hands as well as some great hints on places to eat and other great coffee shops in the area.

P1010328.JPG

P1010329.JPG

P1010332.JPG

P1010333.JPG

P1010334.JPG

P1010335.JPG

P1010330.JPG

P1010337.JPG

#5 ·
Ritual Coffee Roasters

Last on the list for the holiday was Ritual which was quite a few blocks away but with one of the newly recommended bakeries directly en route so off we went. We arrived at Ritual and really loved the look of the place, it was quite different to most other shops with its more modern look and feel. The most striking features being that all of the kit was white, the machines (Synesso Hydras), the grinders (including Roburs, EK43, EKK43). Since we'd had quite a bit of coffee already we decided to just grab a couple of espressos. We had one house blend and one seasonal blend both of which rocked. They had a different take to most of the other places and I would say that they were roasting lighter and serving closer to roast date. On the Roburs this resulted in a really nice shot which I'd almost describe as light and fluffy which goes against everything I knew at that point. After a long chat with the barista about their roasting style as well as others including some of the bigger UK roasters some of which he was very familiar with, he made some other recommendations of shops to try and we were on our way.

P1010344.JPG

P1010349.JPG

P1010350.JPG

P1010348.JPG

P1010358.JPG

P1010357.JPG

P1010345.JPG

P1010346.JPG

P1010347.JPG

#6 ·
P1010355.JPG

P1010356.JPG

P1010353.JPG

P1010351.JPG

It's the second time I've been to San Francisco (the first time was 14 years ago) and it's a city that I just love. It's a place that focuses heavily on the quality of product and many places use locally sourced produce. They have it all and if you love coffee, happy people, food, nice weather, earthquakes, beer, amazing scenery, wine and/or gang shootings then I think that you would love it too. Seriously though, earthquakes and shootings aside, it was probably the best holiday I've ever had, I loved every minute.

#10 ·
Great post. I love San Francisco. Had some of the best food I've ever eaten there, but didn't find as much good coffee as you did. The Old Cigar Store was pretty good, and near Mama's Bakery, which may well be the best breakfast on the planet. The rest I drank were mediocre. Great pics too. Makes me really want to go back.

#11 ·
Mrboots2u said:
Ritual looks the nuts , love the look, the machines , and the coffee sounds god dam tasty too...( kaminksy used to roast here no ? )

The filter from blue bottle you gave me is really nice , sweet , deep , nommy
Yeah, really liked Ritual, everything just looked so cool and the coffee, yes!

#12 ·
drude said:
Great post. I love San Francisco. Had some of the best food I've ever eaten there, but didn't find as much good coffee as you did. The Old Cigar Store was pretty good, and near Mama's Bakery, which may well be the best breakfast on the planet. The rest I drank were mediocre. Great pics too. Makes me really want to go back.
Agreed, we didn't have a bad meal in the whole two weeks, in fact I'd say that pretty much every meal was exceptional, everything is just so fresh and tasty. I had some good recommendations for the coffee shops before I left so started off on a good foot and then the locals/baristas were only to happy to recommend other shops to try.

#16 ·
funinacup said:
Great pictures & writeup. What was the new popular bakery you heard about?

Thanks

Michael
Thanks!

In order

Devil's Teeth Baking Company - Raspberry Jam Bar was like OMFG!!!

Acme Bread Company - Cinnamon Loaf was just superb!

Tartine Bakery & Cafe - Pretty much anything looked like a winner

Stella Pastry & Cafe - again everything looked fantastic

#17 ·
Thank you for a brilliant set of reviews Spence - the person who was posting about doing a round the world coffee focussed trip could learn a lot from you. Sadly when we were in San Francisco 10 years ago I wasn't drinking coffee - although probably most of the places you have reviewed weren't there then in any event. Quite agree about the vibe there.

#18 ·
Phil104 said:
Thank you for a brilliant set of reviews Spence - the person who was posting about doing a round the world coffee focussed trip could learn a lot from you. Sadly when we were in San Francisco 10 years ago I wasn't drinking coffee - although probably most of the places you have reviewed weren't there then in any event. Quite agree about the vibe there.
Thanks
:)

When I went 14 years ago it was mainly Pete's and Starbucks both of whom roast everything to death!

#19 ·
That's a great piece Spence. EK43s well to the front. Your pictures give a real feel for the place

Last there in 2002. The coffee scene was just starting to develop at that time. Best coffee we found at coffee shops in the lobbies of commercial buildings.

On the streets, as you say, mostly Starbucks/Petes.

My memories are mostly of fantastic SF sourdough bread with lunch sandwiches or surrounding chowder.

#21 ·
Yep - I second Iroko. Your pictures are quality.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.