Sign in to follow this  
ElSteverino

Expat Brit living in Munich, cutting teeth in the espresso world

Hi All,

It's great to be here and come in from the lurkers cold..

I'm an ex-pat Brit living in Munich, trying my best to make up for a few years capsule machine sins..

After reading advice here and Home-Barista, I pulled the trigger on my first proper espresso machine.

I chose an ECM Technika IV with a Bezzera BB005 grinder (48mm Conical - it seems little known on these shores?)

I'm really happy with the consistency of the ECM, however I am now reading what a huge difference a bigger grinder can make.

Unfortunately this is leading to me having impure thoughts about already upgrading to something bigger & badder.

Anyway, I'm supping tastier coffee than a I was a month ago, and look forward to learning some tricks from you all here :D

Cheers for now,

Steve

Glad to have you.

If you're ever in Berlin, be sure to check the Barn, a small chain (3) of cafes that do excellent espressos and brewed coffees. They roast all their own beans too!

Welcome to the forum Steve. Forum should contain a hazard warning regarding the dreaded upgradeitis - we've all been there and done that at some point:)

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

@Fatboy, thanks! Yeah, I'll try to check the Barn next time I'm up in Sin City :D

@Systematic, thanks - love that Avatar! How's the EK's workflow in a home environment? any mods needed?

@Jeebsy, sadly I didn't make it past the bouncer last time I tried; seems our group didn't pass the hipster-to-fitty ratio ;)

EK is easy to live with Steve. Fitted a smaller hopper which helps. Currently, dosing into the portafilter with a newly acquired Coffee Catcha which is working really well.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

Are you dosing straight into the pf with the catcha tsk?

Seems pretty random getting in to the berghain elsteverino, definitely helps having fitties in your group though!