Dylan

Mazzer SJ doserless mod

So I finally got my fudge funnel, which means it was time to convert my Mazzer SJ to a doserless version! I'm rubbish at remembering to take photos so they are a bit few and far between, but they give the gist.

The original idea for this comes from this blog post here, so much of the first bit of this post duplicates what this guy did :)

This is the fudge funnel which I bought at AliExpress, took a while to deliver and the box was a bit battered, but contents undamaged.

wUlX9ng.jpg

The handle is spot welded to the body, really really well. It's an absolute nightmare to get off, and I didn't have the right tools for my dremel to grind off the spot welds, so it took rather a lot of prying and twisting a flat head around to get them to come away. Once the first two were off a quick snap/bend of the handle and the rest popped off. Removing the internal spring mechanism of this device was easier but the welds pulled holes in the walls of the funnel. Not to worry really as the holes are where the mazzer chute hole will be cut.

o0KehBe.jpgHk9z83Q.jpg

I then used some paper and placed it over the exit chute and screw holes on the Mazzer to get the pattern which I then used to cut the holes in the right place on the funnel. I left a very small flap of metal on the bottom edge to create a bridge between funnel and chute to try and reduce any coffee escaping/getting stuck. I then attached this to the grinder and with a small headed hammer tapped gently at the bridge and edge of the hole, this helped create a better contact between the funnel and grinder. I was pretty pleased with the result, even though it looks a little battered around the work area.

Gv7ITbD.jpgWX5rUkM.jpg

I then chopped off the bottom of the funnel and smoothed it off with a grindstone on the dremel. The hole is about half the size of the PF basket, but I applied no science to this, it is perhaps a little large in hindsight. From here I was ready for the first test, and it works! There is very little static which surprised me (may be the good/humid weather, this may not be the case with drier air) although when grinding into the PF, when the ground coffee begins to mount up, if the base of the funnel is close to it it begins to get a static charge and coffee both sticks to it and begins to spray a little. Have the portafilter too low however and the spread from the base of the funnel means it goes everywhere. I'll get a vid up soon to show this.

Pretty happy with the result so far, I think it looks really good, a lot nicer than the doser! Despite the static the grinds are also really nice and fluffy.

I then turned my attention to making a lid for the funnel, it has a 1cm wider circumference than the Mazzer doser so the lid from the doser doesn't quite fit. I used some moulding/craft foam to make 2 circles, and glued them together, gave them a bit of a sand down and got a pretty good looking lid I think. I will paint it if I get around to painting the machine so it really blends in.

ZhOLHuX.jpg

Finally I decided to use some moulding foam to cover the motor. I measured up the top and bottom bits, cut it out, heated the foam and pushed it into place. I then sanded down the edges so it had a flush fit. This did a pretty good job, although its not perfect, but if I can't think of a better idea I'll also paint this and see how it ends up looking!

CcVFW0p.jpgGcpRWZa.jpg

Excellent mod, and not at a great cost either. I'm tempted to give it a go for the hell of it.

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

Have you pulled any shots from it yet?

Had one shot, and it was horrible. But that has much more to do with playing with the grind completely unscientifically. I need to do some weighing in and out which I think I will get to tomorrow. I'll also get a video of it grinding then.

Thanks for the comments :)

Perhaps ill fudge tunnel the Ek ( cue lots of innuendo )

I imagine that would make your eyes water a lot more than a rusty spoon.

Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment. Because you have to deal with everyone that doesn't have it !!!

Here is a quick video, my phone decided it likes to focus on whatever is furthest away, so the focus is naff.

Hopefully the sinatra makes up for it.

The coffee was not drinkable, I had to make another after with both hands ^_^

Distribution looks absolutely horrendous

Open it in your browser in desktop view

Distribution looks absolutely horrendous

Yea it was, the next shot was better but still ways off.

I cannot see a way to enable mobile viewing... dont use youtube all that much, anyone know if its a setting?

Yea it was, the next shot was better but still ways off.

How do you propose to correct that? It's a genuine question, distribution issues were one thing that put me off trying to convert my doser

How do you propose to correct that? It's a genuine question, distribution issues were one thing that put me off trying to convert my doser

I had been under dosing in the basket before now, so its a 22g VST and I had been using 17g with an 'aggressive' nutate, this gave the best distribution. I have been experimenting with 20g today, a stir with a cocktail stick helps, but not that much. I'm going to have a go at grinding into a cup and giving the grinds a shake about as well.

Edit: I should say that with the doser I wasn't 'thwacking' but allowing it to grind the beans then dosing out the grounds. Distribution was as much of a problem doing this as it is now, as you might expect.

Does doing all that not add up to more effort than just thwacking and getting nicely distributed grinds in your basket ready to go?

Does doing all that not add up to more effort than just thwacking and getting nicely distributed grinds in your basket ready to go?

No not in my opinion, the thwacking just seemed like an immense pain in the arse to me. Distributing afterwards seemed so much easier.

But i have a bit of a radical/crazy/totally foolish idea which I'll post an image of in a second.

Here we go.

photo (1).JPG

Old silent computer fan, running at 9v. It just produces a very gentle down breeze (unfortunately not enough to pull the grounds out of the exit cute) not enough to disturb the grinds in the PF. It evenes out distribution and as an added bonus completely eliminates the static build up at the bottom of the cute.

My eventual plan is to have this fitted to the 'on' circuitry (I'm hoping the voltage to the green 'on' led on the mazzer is around 9-12v) and then fit the auber timer and an easy on-off switch to the whole unit.

Where will you sit the fan?

Forgot the image in the last post, uploaded now.

Indeed, its clogged as at this point I hadn't given the lens hood a thump.

Wont it just blow it out of the the PF everywhere?

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

Will it fling it against the walls of the funnel and static cause it to stick?

Twitter @Froggystyle