stevenh

Nuova Simonelli Musica mods and undocumented features :)

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum but have been a member onother forms for some time. I'm happy that this thread was revived as I recentlyacquired a Musica Lux and I have some observations and questions for you all.

Mine was manufactured in 2011 but it does seem to have the gigleurs as I onlyget couple of seconds of steam when I cool flush it before use. Mine isdefinitely not the silent model but I do have the 4 seconds solenoid delay.

Here are my questions and I’m hoping someone can help:

• My pump seems to hum/weakens and losepressure if the heating element turns on mid shot. Some folks suggested thatthis could be an electricity problem as in unstable electric line in my houseand to test that they suggested using a Kill A Watt, which I have on order, tomonitor any voltage drop when the heating element turns on. Until I get theKill A Watt, can anyone think of any other reasons (aside from a bad pump) thatcan cause this?

• Is there a way you can turn off the 4seconds delay when you start the shot?

• Does anyone have any tricks to properlysteaming with the 4 hole tip? Pressure seems to drop significantly If I use thesteam at the lower end of the 1.1 to 1.4 range so I try to wait till it’s at1.4 to steam

• Finally, I’m considering either vinylwrapping or powder coating the panels of the machine in silver to match mySuper Jolly, any ideas how I can get the exact Mazzer silver paint color code?

Thanks

Hi Fierce5, welcome to the forums!

I would still take the grouphead off at some point to double check and maybe give it a good clean too. Instructions are at the bottom of my first post on how to enable/disable the solenoid delay feature...

How much does your pressure drop when you open the steam valve? If it drops a lot only at the beginning it could mean your anti-vac valve was stuck and there was some trapped air. Let the pressure build up again and you'll be good to go. The pressure will drop the longer you steam but should be more than enough to steam a decent sized jug of milk...

Do you have a video showing your pump losing pressure mid-shot? i think this is quite unlikely to happen though...

Thank you for the quick reply. It only loses pressure and hums if the heating element turns on. I will take a video today and post it here for information

Edited by fierce5

There is a way to switch off the delay, I can't remember how to do it, but I switched mine off somehow...

I just tried today to switch of the delay but it didn't work. Here's what I did:

pressed the manual pour button till the kypad flashed

pressed the manual button again and then the 2 shot dosage button

pressed the manual pour button

nothing happened. What am I missing?

When you get to that page, what happens when you press the manual pour button?

Nothing happens. The buttons doesn't light up or do anything else.

but pressing the tap button (for preinfusion) lights up?

Yes, it does. I'm able to turn preinfusion on and off no problem. Are you able to make a video at some point showing how to descale the machine and how to turn off the 4s delay? I think both videos will be wildly successful.

I'll try and find the video on youtube for the 4s delay. It might be that feature was added as a software option only in later versions. Will be quite a while before I do another descale but there are similar guides on youtube on descaling heat exchanger machines which may be useful...

I'll try and find the video on youtube for the 4s delay. It might be that feature was added as a software option only in later versions. Will be quite a while before I do another descale but there are similar guides on youtube on descaling heat exchanger machines which may be useful...

Thanks, it could be a software in later versions. For descaling, I was under the impression that the Musica is different because I believe some cable should be disconnected from the boiler first and the boiler has to be emptied by leaning tilting the machine to the left. The process really sounds cumbersome that's why I was hoping for a video to see how it's done exactly. I haven't seen anything on youtube that addresses descaling the Musica or the Oscar 2. Do you know of a good video that I can follow or can I explain your descaling method? Thanks

Hi Mate try this link https://www.elektros.it/gb/en/tips_tricks.html

scroll down to the bottom, there's a guide on how to descale the musica

ACS Vesuvius / Nuova Simonelli Musica Lux / Niche Zero Black Eureka Zenith 65E / Rancilio Rocky 2015 / Gene Cafe CBR-101 Osmio Zero Black Torr goldfinger 58.55 sharp edge 

Here's the video of the pump weakening when the heating element turns on. Start watching at the 30 seconds mark.

[video=youtube_share;1wQH1t1DfZ0]

I have a Kill A Watt on order to see if it's an electricity issue but if it's not, will it be the pump?

Hmm I've not noticed that in mines before... put a portafilter pressure gauge on see if the pressure dips when the element comes on. Don't think anything to be concerned about unless the pressure dips significantly.

Hmm I've not noticed that in mines before... put a portafilter pressure gauge on see if the pressure dips when the element comes on. Don't think anything to be concerned about unless the pressure dips significantly.

I believe the pressure does dip because the flow decreases. With the same grind setting and dosage I get less coffee in the cup when it makes the humming noise after the heat element is turned on than when the heating element is not on and no humming/weakening noise. I will wait for the kill a Watt (I should have it Friday) and see if it's an electricity issue.

Hi Mate try this link https://www.elektros.it/gb/en/tips_tricks.html

scroll down to the bottom, there's a guide on how to descale the musica

thank you! I'm aware of this link but the last paragraph, which I have quoted below, is confusing to me.

Before starting the procedure is ESSENTIAL to disconnect the connections of the 2-way solenoid, you have to disconnect one wire ( blue or red it does not matter ) OR , as well as to disconnect one of the two wires, it would be preferable to close the exit of the 2-way solenoid with a small piece of teflon tube as shown in the picture. This operation is necessary because if the 2-way solenoid valve has a small leak the mixture of water and citric acid that we are going to use for descaling may enter into the boiler. Using this method you will have to disconnect also 1 wire of the pressostat.

it sounds like aside from disconnecting one cable from the 2 way solenoid valve, I will also need to close the exit of the 2 way solenoid valve with a small piece of teflon tube and disconnect one wire from the pressurestat. Disconnecting the one wire from the pressurestat is easy but I'm not sure how to close the exit of the 2 way solenoid valve and they didn't include a picture.

thank you! I'm aware of this link but the last paragraph, which I have quoted below, is confusing to me.

Before starting the procedure is ESSENTIAL to disconnect the connections of the 2-way solenoid, you have to disconnect one wire ( blue or red it does not matter ) OR , as well as to disconnect one of the two wires, it would be preferable to close the exit of the 2-way solenoid with a small piece of teflon tube as shown in the picture. This operation is necessary because if the 2-way solenoid valve has a small leak the mixture of water and citric acid that we are going to use for descaling may enter into the boiler. Using this method you will have to disconnect also 1 wire of the pressostat.

it sounds like aside from disconnecting one cable from the 2 way solenoid valve, I will also need to close the exit of the 2 way solenoid valve with a small piece of teflon tube and disconnect one wire from the pressurestat. Disconnecting the one wire from the pressurestat is easy but I'm not sure how to close the exit of the 2 way solenoid valve and they didn't include a picture.

no just this one on the musica

musica.jpg

they are showing you how to do both versions of the oscar as well

it is a little confusing i know

ACS Vesuvius / Nuova Simonelli Musica Lux / Niche Zero Black Eureka Zenith 65E / Rancilio Rocky 2015 / Gene Cafe CBR-101 Osmio Zero Black Torr goldfinger 58.55 sharp edge 

no just this one on the musica

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27435[/ATTACH]

they are showing you how to do both versions of the oscar as well

it is a little confusing i know

Nice! Thank you very much. Now its much easier to descale myself.

I found this video for the 4s delay:

Nice one. I also want to turn off that delay.

I found this video for the 4s delay:

Thats interesting. I'll try again today and see if I can get the manual pour button to light up like in the video.

Thats interesting. I'll try again today and see if I can get the manual pour button to light up like in the video.

If the light is on it means the delay is activated...

Eddie and Tokar, have yous managed to install the gigleurs?

Yea Mate don't know if its making any difference tho

Hmm shouldn't need to really do cooling flushes anymore as the temp should be quite stable now... even set to max pressure I get no more than 1 sec of steam if been idle for a while and that has solved various other issues for me... Before the gigleur change if you did a cooling flush because the h/x is a mixer design, you will have replaced all the circulating hot water in the return pipe with fresh cooler water so when you brew straight after the shot will be at a much lower temperature than you want... With the gigleurs, it solves 2 problems, firstly removes the need for long cooling flushes and secondly as the return pipe gigleur is slightly smaller, more water is forced through the h/x making a hotter mixture. It is very important that they were installed correctly, the gold one should be installed to the bottom of the grouphead where the return pipe connects...