coffeechap

So you thought your grinder was big, behold the r120

Gary, and why does that rule have to be in place?

You suggested rules

@garydyke1

With the Versalab there it will be a struggle to decide which is best for Home use. All things to be considered.

Size - quality of output - speed bearing in mind we are talking home here with normal 2/3 shots at one time.

Ron 

It would be awful, if at the grind off, the judges who are impartial, decide that the definition of espresso had to be a volume of 30 to 40 mls....still, you EK lot can always go back to munching seeds!

Impartial or not it makes no difference as everyone has different preferences. I doubt that there will be a conclusion, a winner, the next best thing... some will prefer the 18-20% extractions of a Robur, some the sweeter extractions of the EK and some will like the shots from the new grinder just because it's shiny. The good news is that everyone can taste shots from all machines and work out which one(s) they prefer. Looking forward to seeing what people think and hopefully tasting some myself if I can get there.

DE1Pro, EK43 SSP, bloody tasty coffee!

GrindScience.com - My blog of coffee related ramblings

Is this part of a plot to make the EK43 appear to be more home user friendly? ;)

I think in the grand scheme of things there will be many factors that affect whether one grinder is mor suitable than another for the home, the point of this event is to evaluate the biggest and best of this grinders (versalab accepted) in the only place it actually matters which is in the cup.

Many on here have now purchased ridiculously big grinders like the EK43, Robur, Nino, R120 with the sole ambition of getting the best cup of coffee possible, this wont be for everyone, but it will demonstrate what you can acheive when you pair fantastic machines with fantastic grinders.

AKA Toffee chips

The conical Mazzers seem a bit under represented on here, does anyone apart from you have one?

I'm a bit skeptical when it comes to retention on this grinder, is the motor below the burrs? surely you will get cling over time and coffee will build up on the edges of the burr holder / burrs/ internal components, especially if you go really fine. Have seen the amount of shite that comes from the guatemala over time and wasn't impressed and yes I whack the hell out of it after each single dose. Those 0.2 - 0.5g stay somewhere in the end which wouldn't be an issue in itself, but they also come out when they want to randomly and that's the downside imho.

Regards,

dsc.

Espresso: Londinium L1, ZR-71 grinder

Photography: Flickr

callum and aphellion both have them

AKA Toffee chips

I'm a bit skeptical when it comes to retention on this grinder, is the motor below the burrs? surely you will get cling over time and coffee will build up on the edges of the burr holder / burrs/ internal components, especially if you go really fine. Have seen the amount of shite that comes from the guatemala over time and wasn't impressed and yes I whack the hell out of it after each single dose. Those 0.2 - 0.5g stay somewhere in the end which wouldn't be an issue in itself, but they also come out when they want to randomly and that's the downside imho.

Regards,

dsc.

early days yet Tom, however this has a belt driven grind remover on the exit chute that aids in grind exit, i just weighed what i put in and wha came out.

AKA Toffee chips

Hmm interesting, it might work better then. Need to come to yours and have a look.

:)

Hmm interesting, it might work better then. Need to come to yours and have a look.

:)

And take your grinder, and take some pics :D

That actually might work this time:)

bring it and yourself to the grinder event on the 20th

AKA Toffee chips

I'm not up to speed with what's happening, I've been away from the forum for a while now. Will try and make it on the 20th, assuming I can get the bits assembled, if not I might come alone just to have a look and drink too much coffee:)

Cheers,

T.

I feel a raffle coming on :rolleyes:

You'd have to do a raffle for the carriage costs alone on that!

Londinium L1 Luxe - Compak E10 - Macap M7 - Brita Aquaquell - Torr Trapez Tamper - IMS Shower screen - IMS & VST baskets

i think a rafle might be a bit pricey on this one

AKA Toffee chips

Is it substantially more expensive that the EK43?

early days yet Tom, however this has a belt driven grind remover on the exit chute that aids in grind exit, i just weighed what i put in and wha came out.

Retention should be measured with a completely clean burr chamber, so you can only measure the first drop in / drop out. Subsequent shots may have some % of grinds from the lasts shots and therefore is not possible to really know how much is the real retention.

Is it substantially more expensive that the EK43?

a fair bit more but they are available within 3 weeks!

Retention should be measured with a completely clean burr chamber, so you can only measure the first drop in / drop out. Subsequent shots may have some % of grinds from the lasts shots and therefore is not possible to really know how much is the real retention.

totally dissagree viernes, burrs on this type of grinder as well as the ek43 will hold an amount of grind within the burrs themselves, not much but you have to let it settle down, i have pulled 6 shots with this grinder, so will do some more accurate testing, when the burrs have been fully seasoned, which will be a few weeks and 50 kgs of coffee.

You would never take the burr carrier assembly off each time, completely clean the burrs, reseat and do the next grind, which would have to happen if you follow your suggestion.

AKA Toffee chips

which will be a few weeks and 50 kgs of coffee.

I think you need help CC ;)

oh yeh top trumps, r120 available in 2 weeks, ek 43 perhaps 3 months ( but then that is what happens if you limit supply, or am i being cynical)

AKA Toffee chips

a fair bit more but they are available within 3 weeks!

Raffles are going so quickly these days... more people on the forum... it would almost be possible.

Mind you I guess there would be more than a few people who wouldn't go for a raffle on one of these based on not being able to fit it through the front door 0_o

I think you need help CC ;)

cue rave coffee

AKA Toffee chips

totally dissagree viernes, burrs on this type of grinder as well as the ek43 will hold an amount of grind within the burrs themselves, not much but you have to let it settle down, i have pulled 6 shots with this grinder, so will do some more accurate testing, when the burrs have been fully seasoned, which will be a few weeks and 50 kgs of coffee.

You would never take the burr carrier assembly off each time, completely clean the burrs, reseat and do the next grind, which would have to happen if you follow your suggestion.

Yup, with you on this!

Viernes has a point though, if you consider retention and in v out then even Mazzers would do okay. It's just that half the grinds would be from your previous shot.